No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, not Portsmouth, wrong county. I shall give a little help, it's not situated in a coastal town.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Simple, really: the Highwayman Inn at Sourton, Devon
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        Simple, really: the Highwayman Inn at Sourton, Devon
        How on earth...........................excuse me whilst i pick myself up from the floor!

Well what can i say Ivy, so much for my confidence in thinking i would have you all baffled for a day or two. The puzzle solved already by our own Miss Marple! I can only assume that you have been there on one of your Devon trips Ivy?

Yes, The Highwayman Inn it is. Very well done indeed.

No need for the next photo then. The outside of the pub.

More about one of Devons more unusual pubs can be found on their website.
        http://www.thehighwaymaninn.net/

So, it's once again your turn Ivy, i just know your going to come up with something good!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Steve, never been there - honest. But your reply to Ombugge re wrong county showed it was UK. (You shouldn't have said that!) I took a chance on your own county, and do you know what I did? Just Googled "Devon pubs, weird". The Highwayman sounded the most likely on the list, so I clicked.
          But I really must go there when next in Devon, it's a hoot, isn't it?
          Ok, simply must find something better this time. BTW, I found out why you knew about trains - saw the thread on them afterwards. Fancy me thinking I'd baffle you for a bit. (He even gets the station by the tree formation). Honestly, I don't stand a chance.
          Give me a while.......
          Ivy

Comment

Taken some years ago while on the water, hence not too sharp. I would like not only exactly where it is, but also what is the long black shape at the right? I'm not using the proper terminology for that as it might help too much!

Last edited by wherrygirl; November 7th, 2010, 16:49.
            Ivy

Comment

The Harbour looks very much like Valeta, Malta.
              The long black thing is the the "FPSO III" belonging to SBM, Monaco. This was an early FPSO unit, with a Mooring Buoy and Yoke at the stern.

Comment

More or less there, Ombugge, but can you be more precise on location, and, further, what was the FPSO III known as before being towed out to where I took this in the mid 60's, (I think) to be used as an oil storage buoy? It had an infamous history in this part of the world at the time.
                Ivy

Comment

More or less there, Ombugge, but can you be more precise on location, and, further, what was the FPSO III known as before being towed out to where I took this in the mid 60's, (I think) to be used as an oil storage buoy? It had an infamous history in this part of the world at the time.
                  I think the FPSO III is moored in a Buoy Berth in Grand Harbour, Valletta, Malta.
                  I don't know the original name of the tanker, or at least part of it, that was used to create the FPSO III and I'm not able to find any info at the SBM website, or anywhere else.
                  It looks like the forward part of a tanker has been used, which may indicate that the aftship, with Superstructure and Engine room has suffered irreparable damages.
                  I cannot find any incident involving Explosion or Fire in or near UK waters that can point me in the right direction.
                  The two major tanker incidents that affected UK was the Torry Canyon in 1967 and Amoco Cadiz in 1978, but both of those broke up and was never salvaged.
                  Anybody have any idea where SBM got the hull from?

Comment

Click on wherrygirl's picture, and you may have the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichu View Post
                      Click on wherrygirl's picture, and you may have the answer.
                      Oooops!! Well, the Valletta part is correct, but Torry Canyon it is not. The wreck is still there, what little is left of her, as far as I know.

Comment

Ivy, fancy linking your photo straight back to the answer! Tut tut!
                        But i have to agree with Ombugge, it can't be the Torry Canyon, the British government got the RAF to bomb the wreck into oblivion - some wild attempt at stopping the pollution. I am almost certain the Torry Canyon broke up where she grounded on the rocks.

Comment

I am really surprised at the suggestion at #684 and its compliance at #685. I had forgotten that my temporary title had gone though into Picturepush. But if that is how you think the puzzles can be solved...... well.......
                          Yes, it was bombed extensively, and sank. However, when I was doing the round the harbour trip at Valetta in the late 60's the hulk was pointed out as being part of the Torrey Canyon which had been raised and towed out to Malta. Perhaps you would care to see:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=i...Canyon&f=false

By the way, the precise location is Sliema Creek, part of Valetta harbour.
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; November 8th, 2010, 00:48.
                          Ivy

Comment

I discovered this link purely by accident.
                            Had searched the net for likely candidates, and intended to enlarge the picture,to look for details.
                            When I moved the cursor over it, the cursor changed into a hand, and then I clicked and found the answer.

Comment

Then perhaps it might have been better to stay out of this particular puzzle and keep the info. to yourself.
                              Ivy

Comment

I am really surprised at the suggestion at #684 and its compliance at #685. I had forgotten that my temporary title had gone though into Picturepush. But if that is how you think the puzzles can be solved...... well.......
                                Yes, it was bombed extensively, and sank. However, when I was doing the round the harbour trip at Valetta in the late 60's the hulk was pointed out as being part of the Torrey Canyon which had been raised and towed out to Malta. Perhaps you would care to see:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=i...Canyon&f=false
                                By the way, the precise location is Sliema Creek, part of Valetta harbour.
                                I did not see the URL of the picture before replying to this puzzle and I don't believe the facts put forward in the link above, no matter that it refers to Lloyds List.

There were an attempt made at salvaging the tanker while she was still in one piece, but an explosion in the Engine Room caused that to fail, costing one of the Dutch Salvors his life.

The Torry Canyon is known to have broken into several sections shortly after. Here is a couple of pics of the wreckage taken at the time:

As can be seen from these pictures the wreck has broken into at least three pieces. There would hardly be anything worth salvaging for re-use.

As for the wrack of the Torry Canyon it is still reported to be on the bottom and visited by divers from time to time. Here is a link to a page on Divenet giving position and condition of the wreck: http://www.divernet.com/Wrecks/100_b...on_89nbsp.html

That leaves the question; Were did the hull that was used to create the FPSO III come from??
                                The website for SBM, which list the FPSO II and FPSO IV as decommissioned, but I cannot find anything mentioned re: FPSO III. No listing of this FPSO on Miramar either, which is not surprising as it would have been a non-propelled barge at the time.
                                Does anybody else have sources to find the answer??

Comment

Working...
                                X