No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK Ivy, I'll try to use only your first sentence BUT...The description you do of these buildings let me think about a old activity refurbished with new knowledge or new technology.
    If I am right (It happens,but rarely) could it be related with the studies for animal beheviour? Or linked with gems?

Comment

Oh dear, I'm gettimg in deeper than I'd like, for fear of leading people up the garden path. (misleading them).
      To your questions I can safely say definitely not.
      But to your earlier remark I can only say that it could apply to so many things which have been refurbished with new knowledge or new technology. At one time I had penfriends, but that old activity is now refurbished through new technology when I joined a forum courtesy of the WWW! So it could be said that that the activities going on in these two buildings are similarly refreshed by new knowledge/technology, just like many of the things we and others do these days.
      No, keep to what I said in #6059.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

"To lead people up the garden path"! I have learned a new English expression, a nice one. Thank's Ivy.
        Maybe, to find the right path, We need some clue. Western Australia is a big country, so maybe you could tell us if these buildings are in the North or in the South of it.
        As for their activities, what about Aborigine studies?

Comment

Keep to the northern half.
          Aboriginal studies. Oh, Yves, I'm afraid of more garden paths! Put it like this - in the right hand building, no, in the left one, I doubt it. Don't follow that line of thought. Also remember that the two buildings are two quite separate organisations.
          Ivy

Comment

We are in the red earth and tropical part of WA by the look of it. So somewhere in the Pilbara?

Comment

Yes, Ombugge. And there aren't all that many large towns in the Pilbara so that would help to narrow it down a bit!
              Ivy

Comment

My best bet of town; Karratha. No guess on the buildings though.

Comment

Karratha is not all that far from the location of the photo. Try another city.
                  Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
                    yvneac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, if it is a" large town" but not Karratha, maybe Port Hedland? Not sure at all. but anyway, your puzzle is an opportunity to discover an amazing part of Australia, Ivy.

Port Hedland it is, Yves. It is not exactly in the heart of the city, so have a look around for a base for means of travel. If you find one, then it might give you a clue as to what that right hand building in my photo is. But I'm still after the left one.
                  Ivy

Comment

Ivy, please be so kind and check, if the buildings are still existing today. In the meanwhile i could get a taxidriver license in Port Hedland, but i could not find the place. There are only 5-6 streets with divided lanes for each direction and only two of them have striped curbstones. I have been in Port Hedland, South Hedland, Wedgefield and even in small places like Boodarie and Pippingarra. Nothing matches. I have studied all tourist promotion videos. No similar place to see. On the other hand look the Google Earth pictures from 2007 (when the picture was taken) and from today very different. Something is very strange with this puzzle....
                    Last edited by Ralf__; December 4th, 2019, 15:58.
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

The only picture I can find on the web with a sign looking like the one we see on your photo Ivy. But I think this kind of sign is common in OZ.

Comment

Oh Yves, you put me on the right track! Yes there maybe a lot of dependances of the Royal Flying Doctor Services in Australia, but there is also one in Port Hedland!! And this is the right hand building on our picture of the Port Hedland International Airport. And it is the only place in Port Hedland with such street lamps. And the road has no two lanes, there is parking space behind the striped curbs!! Now let's find out the purpose of the other building.....

And here it is: It is the School of the air, which enables education on the remote farms in the outback.

http://www.porthedlandsota.wa.edu.au/

Over to you Yves. You found the sign and everything was written on it! That is your point!
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ralf has given you permission to post the next puzzle, Yves! Well done.
                          I have a particular interest in the Port Hedland School of the Air because it was part of my wonderful trip to WA in 2007. A private trip camping in the outback with two people I knew only by email. It was special - looking for the old one-time telegraph office in Mundiwindi in the near desert of the Pilbara, where my late uncle once lived and worked, an old building in the middle of nowhere. We were going over Aboriginal land, Jigalong, and had to get special permission to travel there. My uncle emigrated to WA in 1912, and how I wish I had known him. The Pilbara captured me as it did him - I still long to be back there and know just what it was that made him stay in that desert land where the nearest neighbour was 90 miles away, rather than return to Perth to his family.
                          Yves, from your remark on #6068 above you may wish to look at my thread https://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com...eyond#post1975 This will tell you the whole story of why I went on this extraordinary trip. I think Ralf looked at it when I first posted. My interest in the School was because I was able to sit in on some of the lessons in Indonesian being given to children across the Pilbara and after they had finished I was able to chat briefly with the children.
                          Ivy

Comment

• Ralf__
                            Ralf__ commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Oh, silly me! Of course i remember your wonderful report and we even puzzled the monument with the clock some day... Why didn't i use it for me research! You wrote the most detailed report one can find in the web... that was a good one, Ivy!

I'm not sure I resolved the puzzle, I only picked up the sign "main entrance".
                          I went to your thread Ivy, I didn't know it was on CVF. I will read it tonight, I guess it will be gripping to visit this amazing area with you, mostly because it is a part of your family story.

Comment

Try this new puzzle. First clue, it's not in Australia.

Comment

Working...
                            X