No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spot on Svein - you can actually see the 'k city' bit in the window, but I'm not sure that would have been enough to solve it.

Yup, the Scandic Rock City hotel is music-themed and next to the Rock City resource centre for rock and pop music.

The confusion I was causing about to genres of music was related to Trønderrock, the mixture of rock, folk, country (perhaps) and all sorts of other music that is from this region. Artists like Åge Aleksandersen and Terje Tysland (both from Namsos) were followed by bands like DDE who spend most of their year touring around the country. DDE's big hits include 'E6', a rather lovely ballad about a long distance lorry driver rushing home from the south to Bodø for a happy event - sounds weird, but it's beautiful. We stayed at Namsos earlier this year on the way southbound down the E6, and our room was DDE-themed.

Lead singer Bjarne Brøndbo and his family still own the local scrapyard. Frode Viken, who wrote most of the wonderful songs died last year, and there have been some wonderfully emotional videos and events since then.

I come home most evenings to find my tame Viking listening to this sort of music, so it's become something of a backing track to our lives together (aahhhh!).

Well done for the extreme effort Yves, but over to you Svein.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      Wasn't there an ethnic Indian singer from Namsos as well? I'm not much into music so I can't recall anything other than that he had a tune called; "Æ e Trønder Æ"

• Sterkoder
      Sterkoder commented
      Editing a comment
      Ethnic Indian?
      It was Åge Aleksandersen when he sang in the Prudence in 1975.

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably he was the original singer. I was thinking of this fellow: https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chand_Torsvik

Bad out of focus taken with an old first generation iPhone after three gin&tonics: Where are we now?
    ​​​​​​
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      Harvey's Sportsbar in Kristiansand:

http://www.harveys.no/

• Sterkoder
      Sterkoder commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, of course. Congrats! (Not that there were no signs to search by, but just by looking at the hole picture, if I didn't take it myself, I could just as easily say it was from a back street some place in England :-)
      But, I couldn't fool no one :-D
      Guess it's your turn then.

Okay. Then let's try this one...

IMG_3837 (2) - Kopie by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Somewhere in Croatia?

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        No bad guess, not really far away, but not in Croatia.

It begins with a "C", for it is in Corfu, behind the Lord High Commissioner's Palace in Corfu Town.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        Correct! I am very impressed! have you been there also?
        Over to you!

No, Ralf, I've never been to Corfu. And stop being impressed, because shortly after you posted your puzzle I Googled these simple words - spiral stairs, cliff and Corfu. I expected masses of spiral stairs from all over the place, with and without cliffs, everywhere except Corfu, but to my amazement the exact photo came up in the first few!
      Now I will hunt around for my offering.
      Ivy

Comment

OK, try this one.
        P1010227
        by Ivy, on Flickr
        Ivy

Comment

Good afternoon Ivy.
          Is this splendid street located in South America?

Comment

Hallo, Yves, you're quick off the mark! But you have landed in the wrong place, I'm afraid.
            Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
              yvneac commented
              Editing a comment
              I Don't mind Ivy, it was an Opportunity to ear from you (avoir des nouvelles de vous).

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, Yves.

Is this in Australia?

Comment

Hallo, Remarc, yes, Oz it is. I wonder what led you there?
              Ivy

Comment

79, Strickland Str., Corner to Allen Street, Bunbury, Western Australia. The house face to face is the home of the South West Italian Club and the hall to the right belongs to Abbotts Water Filter and Pumps.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Western Australia it is, but many miles from Bunbury, I'm afraid, Ralf.
                  Ivy

Comment

• Ralf__
                    Ralf__ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know... but please give us some information. What is this house and the hall used for? Why is this motif so special that you took a picture. For me it is just a house and a hall - like from a company dealing with pumps...

Well, both buildings, although quite unrelated in their "business," are special to Australia. I won't say they are unique in the world, but they are well known for what they do, particularly the one on the right. However, it is the one on the left that I'd really like you to identify, though I can't tell you why until the puzzle is solved.
                  Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
                    yvneac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ivy, do these buildings house scientific research?

Um.....The straight answer is definiitely no. The occupants of the right hand building will certainly use the results of scientific research in what they do, and the left may include the results in what they do, but that is definitely not what either is about. Put it this way, if you were photographing some paintings which had been restored, you would be aware that much research had gone into things like the era in which the paintings had originally been done, the composition of the paints used, the style of the original brush-strokes and how the restorer had been faithful to it etc. But you would be concerned only with the finished article and how to get the best image you could.
                  Best forget all my blather, Yves, and just stick to the first sentence
                  Ivy

Comment

Working...
                  X