No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK last ditch attempt; ancient Yangzhou city in Jiangsu province??
    PS> This is a very popular place to visit during the national day holiday.

Comment

I would like to change that to; Pingyao Ancient City, a well-preserved, centuries-old settlement in north China's Shanxi Province:
      https://www.chinaculturetour.com/sha...of-pingyao.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        I would like to change that to; Pingyao Ancient City, a well-preserved, centuries-old settlement in north China's Shanxi Province:
        https://www.chinaculturetour.com/sha...of-pingyao.htm
        Well done ombugge!

You got the right answer, Ping Yao is the correct place!

Next puzzle is yours!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Will someone wake Ombugge up? He's overdue with the next puzzle.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

OMG I forgot that I was the proud winner of the last puzzle.
            After some frantic searching for another obscure beach, or island nobody have heard of somewhere in S.E.Asia, I had settle for a very fresh picture of an obscure cafe somewhere along the Trans Euro Trail.
            I do not expect the name, exact location/position of this particular cafe. Name of a nearby town and the country will do:

Comment

Should have kept my mouth shut, shouldn't I ?
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                Not at all. That promises to be a good one... We have just to check 38.000km to find a certain house... Easy peasy!

Is it in the eastern part of Europe? Poland? Or Serbia?
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                Not in Poland or Serbia. Eastern Europe? Depends on your definition, geographical or political.
                Kind of straddle the geographical boarder between East and West Europe.I presume. (That should narrow it down to a few thousand km of the TET)
                As I said, I do NOT expect you to name or position of this particular cafe/lodge. Which country and name of district, or nearest city/town of any size will do.

The landscape and the trees remind me on my own surroundings in the Black Forest. So i think it is somewhere in the same level.
              We have such landscapes also in Poland, (the TET does not touch Czech Republik), Slovakia and Romania.
              Because of the modern renovation with the high class chimney and the solar panel preparation i go for the richer land, Slovakia.
              Right path?

Comment

To make it complete, i widened my search to Hungary and Romania. There are some famous mountain areas like Matrá and Bükk, as well as the Carpathians or Transylvania.
              But there is not a single clue in the picture, where it could be. The house seems very fresh renovated and obviously not yet in use. So it could be everything. A small café as you mentioned, a pension, a vacation house, a self service accomodation for hikers or a small restaurant. After checking various touristic sites in both countries and areas i was not able to find it. Since we have no clue, i am not able to find out, in which area or near which city it could be.
              So i (we) will just need some more additional help and advice...

Comment

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                TET has many different routes and you are obviously following one through Slovakia, Hungary and into Roumania.
                Try a more southerly trail that also take in areas you know well, at least from the sea. This is in the mountains along that trail.
                I don't know the exact usage of the building, but I know that they serve food and drinks there, since our oldest son stopped there for coffee and a bite a few days ago and took this picture. (He is riding his bike along the TET at the moment)

Well in this area i know well just Croatia. Will i find it there?

Comment

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                Not in Croatia, but along the trail in a homely direction.

I am frustrated. I searched very detailed in Slovenia, but could not find this house. Wrong country again?

Comment

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                Right country. Somewhere along the TET on the way to Croatia.

Another and larger establishment further along TRT. Not too far away from the one in the puzzle pix, but this one on the Croatian side of the border:

Comment

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you. That should be easy to find. But somehow i have totally wrong keywords. It will take some time, but i continue searching.

As longer i search as less i can find. On the Croatian side i followed the TET(https://www.transeurotrail.org/slove.../45.889/14.145) from the border at Brod na Kupi up to Delnice, watching via Google Earth street view each house which could be like the second one. Then i followed the trail until he is leaving the civilisation at Brestova Draga. No result. Until the trail then reaches roads and small villages again, it is more than 70km away from the border, which is not close in my definition. On the Slovakian side the trail is following the street only a short piece up to Vas and Potok and is leaving then at Jaksici civilisation again. A lot of the restaurants, cafes, mountain huts and so on seem to have no mark in the internet, so they are out of view for us in the net. So i guess, the house on the first picture is in the district of Kostel, while the second picture should be taken in the district Opcina Mrkopalj. But i don't think we are able to find it in the internet or find a picture there or a mark at GE or a sight in Street View. So i have to give up at this point. But it was a nice puzzle and i learned a lot about a wonderful area.

Comment

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                OK if you cannot find it after such extensive search than nobody else is like to either. I can than chalk this up as the second unsolved puzzle I have posted.
                The first pix is near Podluz and Metulje in Slovania. Here is the position: Geo:45.7288,14.502281
                The second is near the resort town of Platak that can be found on the internet: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                This cottage is called "Lovska Koca Slemenka". Koca is cottage and Lovska Slemeka decribes the place. It is not marked on google earth in any way. I found the name on only a detailed map after knowing the exact position. With the name it was possible to find some pictures. The café by the way is not in this house, but in a building below. It is also not marked on Google. I think it was not possible to solve it.

IMG_2132 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

IMG_2150 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

More information here:
                http://www.forum-lov.org/kinologija/...po-krvni-sledi

The second place is called "Mali Dom Platak" : The small Platak house. They are on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mali-dom-Pl...8241100352073/
                The reason, why i did not find it, was, because it is 25km away from the TET according to this map with the route:
                https://www.transeurotrail.org/croat...5.3653/14.7716
                And i did not find an alternative route.

I'll try another one from the same general area that may be easier to solve. This one has nothing to do with the TET though:

Comment

This picture has a lousy resolution and nothing typical for Croatia. For me the only remarkable thing beside the flag is, that there are no mountains in the background. So i would start my search out on the islands. But this is too less and to obscure fore me. I am tired for a while. So if anyone else wants to step in for a search...

Comment

• ombugge
                  ombugge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would think there are some features here that is identifiable. It is a famous old and popular tourist destination according to it#s website.
              Working...
              X