What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firefox View Post
    So - possibly seaside town in southern England?
    No, not a seaside town, and not in southern England either.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Somewhere alonside the Humber river?

Comment

how the heck do you see that those white ''things'' are spoonbills?
        no she explain nothing to me,she wanted images of a spoonbill,and the translationside came up with nothing.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

• Steve.B
          Steve.B commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought they looked more like swans myself.

Errr - not in 'Southern England' - do you mean not in what we generally refer to as 'Southern England' - or not in the southern half of England?

I seem to live in the West Country - which is a bit of a stretch since there's a further 200+ miles of England to the left of me!! We give some very strange names to parts of our country.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
          Somewhere alonside the Humber river?
          No, not along the Humber i am afraid.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
            Errr - not in 'Southern England' - do you mean not in what we generally refer to as 'Southern England' - or not in the southern half of England?

I seem to live in the West Country - which is a bit of a stretch since there's a further 200+ miles of England to the left of me!! We give some very strange names to parts of our country.
            I knew this would be asked. Not an easy one to answer, what one person might call 'southern', might not be what another would call southern. I did a bit of research last night when Tess first asked, i did not want to elaborate too much because it really would be giving the game away. But, according to official government regions, we are not in southern England.

Now, i guess that should be pointing a very big arrow towards the correct location of this puzzle.

Comment

I'm sure I'm wrong, it's quite a while since I've been there and it may have changed, but is it Orford?

Or somewhere on the river Orwell?
              Last edited by wherrygirl; October 13th, 2013, 19:53.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                I'm sure I'm wrong, it's quite a while since I've been there and it may have changed, but is it Orford?

Or somewhere on the river Orwell?
                No, not Orford, neither is it on the Orwell.

I had no idea where either the Orwell or Ortford were, so had to look them up. Always learning something new in this thread!

Comment

• wherrygirl
                  wherrygirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry, Steve, I should have been more helpful!

• Steve.B
                  Steve.B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not a problem, Ivy, two minute job on Google to see where the Orwell was.

These notifications are really playing up, i received 4 notifications for your comment above, Ivy. Software is rather naff.

• PoloUK
                  PoloUK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Four notifications would count as a definite step in the right direction! It's four more than usual. Tracking the vBulletin forum to see if anyone else fixes this.

I'm inclined to think that we are either fairly close to Ivy - or fairly close to home for you Steve. Both are in the South of England, but neither are usually described as Southern England.

River with proper boats and a big tidal range, muddy bottom to the river. The houses on the left have got some fairly East Anglian type protrusions - suspect they're ornamental rather than functional - but can't help thinking that the key would be working out how to describe the structure on the church tower.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                  . Both are in the South of England, but neither are usually described as Southern England.
                  This place could indeed be thought of as being in the South of England, but you would be correct to say that the area would not normally be described as Southern England. And like i say, officially it's not part of Southern England.

Boy, how can something so simple sound so complicated?

Comment

Originally posted by firefox View Post
                    Lol Steve ... did I give away too much too quickly or are you just brilliant!!! Indeed it is Rheinsberg Schloss.
                    In 2004 me and Paul met up with my family from Sweden and stayed at a marina just outside of Rheinsberg. My very first time in East Germany (except for getting tax frees when going on the ferry to Travemünde when young) and it was a lovely town!

Ok Steve - if I understand the game right ... it is now over to you - well done!
                    What a shock in the first step, as you mentioned Stuttgart - but there is not more than the funny coincidence that both castles have two towers and look kind of similar in one certain perspective. They have nothing else in common, i can assure you! Different history, construction dates, architecture period and and and. I would rather have used it as proof, that the other one can NOT be in Germany: What a stunning way to solve this puzzle!!
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

For the actual puzzle i followed your discussion about what is located on South England but can't called so and followed also your guess to look in the Eastern part.
                      Therefore my guess is that we see the River Colne, the town Wivenhoe and the church is St.Mary the Virgin Wivenhoe.
                      What do you think?

Comment

• PoloUK
                        PoloUK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Fantastic Ralf. English geography doesn't half make things complicated!

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                      For the actual puzzle i followed your discussion about what is located on South England but can't called so and followed also your guess to look in the Eastern part.
                      Therefore my guess is that we see the River Colne, the town Wivenhoe and the church is St.Mary the Virgin Wivenhoe.
                      What do you think?
                      Very well done, Ralf, you are of course spot on. Whilst being located in the southern portion of England, it is classed as being in the Eastern Region.

A quote from the Es*** Wiki page...

Es*** became part of the East of England Government Office Region in 1994, and was statistically counted as part of that region from 1999, having previously been part of the South East England Region.
                      Seeing that we have Wales bordering England to the West, i had a feeling that the questions regarding being in the South or not, would point to the East very quickly. And i was not sure myself about Es***, until Tess raised the question, thus i had to be careful with how i answered.

Back to you, Ralf, and with regards to your comment about the previous puzzle that Tess gave us, well, it's a good job i know not too much about architecture, otherwise i too would not have searched Germany. One of those occasions where too much knowledge would not have helped me i think!

Comment

• Steve.B
                        Steve.B commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Okay, the forum language filters are at it again, how does one mention the name of the county that is to the east of London without falling foul of the filters?

I just put a full stop before the last letter of the verboten bit, Steve. Bunga.y Esse.x Susse.x coc.ksure
                      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I saw this recently in a TV report, and it took me a while to find it in the web. Maybe this is a task for you also, but maybe not and this will not last for long.
                        Picture is out of commons.wikimedia.

Last edited by Ralf__; October 14th, 2013, 16:43.

Comment

• ombugge
                          ombugge commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Removed by author.
                          Last edited by ombugge; October 14th, 2013, 16:06. Reason: Add PS
                      Working...
                      X