No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inderesting mix of architecture. I am somehow fascinated by the idea that this could be Sweden again. Somehow the size of the windows and the ornaments at the roof and the windows say that to me. And we have a clear influence of Greek or Roman mythology. Maybe more Roman influenced. Are these conclusions correct so far?
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I'm thinking Sweden, too, but on my part that's bias because Tess is the poster, as I have little or no knowledge of Swedish archtecture. As to the mix - it certainly is. Just look at those towers - each floor has a different style of window and the door at the base has an arched top of different radius to that of the window above! On the main building the window above the right end of the colonnade has a flattened arch similar to those I have seen in the Netherlands.
      Then partially hidden behind the left tower is half a Flemish gable. There's no sign of a part of the building finished with the other half.
      Perhaps that is a confirmation of the innovative Swedes in the architectural field?

Later: is this a library of some kind?
      Last edited by wherrygirl; October 11th, 2013, 12:17.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I vote for Sweden too.Has this building an academic calling?

PS: nice to see you on this thread Tess.

Comment

• firefox
          firefox commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by yvneac View Post
          PS: nice to see you on this thread Tess.
          Thanks Yves!

Nope ... not Sweden or any other Scandinavian country and definitely not Britain either, sorry ... I thought that would be too easy - lol - but definitely Europe.
        I do believe from official photos on the web that this building is now yellow - this photo was taken in 2004.

Ivy - it is not a library either and as far as I know, but I think it now houses a Literature Museum, but started its life like just a normal castle (if there is any normal castles...) built on the site of a moated middle age castle.

Does this help?
        Tess

We are all time travellers moving at the speed of exactly 60 minutes per hour...

Comment

Lots of information for us there, Tess! Not that it's helped me just yet, been roaming around France, but have given up on that idea. But i have noticed that the towers in your picture are similar to the towers on the old castle in Stuttgart - Altes Schloss. Obviously not the same building, but does make me want to ask the question of whether or not we are in Germany with this one?
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Ah, yes, i think we are - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinsberg_Palace I think i might have solved this one?
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Lol Steve ... did I give away too much too quickly or are you just brilliant!!! Indeed it is Rheinsberg Schloss.
              In 2004 me and Paul met up with my family from Sweden and stayed at a marina just outside of Rheinsberg. My very first time in East Germany (except for getting tax frees when going on the ferry to Travemünde when young) and it was a lovely town!

Ok Steve - if I understand the game right ... it is now over to you - well done!
              Tess

We are all time travellers moving at the speed of exactly 60 minutes per hour...

Comment

Yes, you were a bit generous with the information, Tess, you'll soon learn not to be quite that generous early on! It was your reference to it housing a Literature Museum that narrowed it down so much. I got it into my mind that it looked French, so wasted a lot of time looking in the wrong area, but spotted the Stuttgart castle in a general search, that put me onto Germany. Easy after that!

Yes, the baton normally passes to the one that gets the correct answer, but never feel you have to post a puzzle just because you solved one. You are always free to pass it on to whomever wishes to take up the challenge of finding another puzzle to set. We do not always have the time to post one, so leaving it open to someone else is never a problem.

But i shall dig around and see what i can find, may take me a while to find something, but i will post back asap.

Comment

This puzzle game could be quite addictive - I look forward to see what you will come up with Steve! Still think it was quite brilliant you came up with it so quickly!
                  I will try not to give to much away so quickly in the future though!
                  Tess

Comment

Now, hopefully this will keep you all busy for more than 10 minutes, lets see how you get on with this one.......

What Place is This?

Photo credit - Fenners1984, from his flickr album.
                    Last edited by Steve.B; October 14th, 2013, 12:08. Reason: Adding photo credit.

Comment

Ok ... I'm thinking riverside town in England ,,, ?
                      Tess

Comment

• Steve.B
                        Steve.B commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Your thinking is correct, Tess, we are in England.

Looks like a fairly impressive tidal range too.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Oh, look Thijs - spoonbills! He won't see this - too busy with his cars and trucks
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Vague memories of Thijs and spoonbills in another thread, Ivy - something about you trying to explain the English name for them? Anyway, i will take your word on the spoonbills, i would not know one if it landed on my head!

Yes, Tess, an English town it is, and Mark, tide height averages around 5m i do believe. Certainly more than enough to insure you tie up next to a quay ladder!

Comment

So - possibly seaside town in southern England?
                            Tess

Comment

Working...
                            X