No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK.LYCEUM IN PORT SUNLIGHT. JOHN DOUGLAS ARCHITECT.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
      OK.LYCEUM IN PORT SUNLIGHT. JOHN DOUGLAS ARCHITECT.
      Spot on! That did not take you too long, well done. Yes Port Sunlight, a model village built by 'Lever bros' to house their workers at the soap factory.

More details on the wiki page - Here. So, my first puzzle for a while was solved by our French detective, i wonder what will be next....

P.S Ombugge and Ivy, i am so sorry for not replying to your comments earlier, posted a couple of days ago. The forum gave me no notice at all that you had left the comments, and because you did not post a direct reply, it did not even show up in latest topics, or in the index for this section. So i wrongly assumed there had been no reply to the puzzle.

In future i would suggest posting an actual reply rather than just a comment, then i will get a notification. Darn bugs are driving me nuts! Am also getting very fed up with looking at the first page of this thread half the times i visit. So, use the 'Reply' option in future. Thank you.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

History of Port Sunlight is really interresting.A place where I'd like to go.

Now,Will you be inspired by this one?

Comment

Nobody want to venture a guess?? OK, I'll have a go.
          The picture is not new, judging by the buses cars.
          Are they driving on the left or right hand side of the road? Hard to say for sure, since the cars on the main road has cleverly been erased.
          Snow on the mountains, but green grass and flowering bushes. So either fairly far north or far south.
          Rolling bare hills with farmland at low elevation. Not much tall trees to be seen.
          Building style looks almost Nordic, but is mostly bricks and concrete.
          The large Church looks out of place and more British in style.
          Fishing boats in port. The masts in the background looks like they belong to a Japanese or Korean Factory Trawler, or a Reefer Ship.
          OK, either Iceland, Scotland or South Island, New Zealand, depending on which side of the road they drive.
          I go for Iceland, based on Yvneac's late interest. Not Reykjavik.
          Last edited by ombugge; October 1st, 2013, 10:04.

Comment

Akureyri, I'm almost sure, though it was early 80's I was briefly there (though that should make it easier if the photo is indeed an older one!) Ombugge has done all the hard work though, but the funny thing is that I think of that church style as more Nordic than British! There was a flight of steps going up to it.

Comment

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              Nordic in style?? :

No way.

You are right Cecilia.
            This photo was taken in Akureyri in July 1977.
            Nordic or British style? Don't know and I don't wish to be at the origine of a diplomatic incident...
            The architect is Gudjon Samuelson who built it in 1940.
            But stained glasses come from the cathedral of Coventry.
            So:draw!

Comment

I have not had time to have a go at this one, but seeing Cecilia had posted I had to have a look. I think she is correct - see the picture showing the church at http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CFgQ9QEwBA I was overnight in Akureyri once, en route to Lake Myvatn, but saw almost nothing of the town.
              I certainly do not recognise the church as British in style, and also the number of red roofs in Ombugge's photo indicate the painted corugated iron sheets typical of Iceland.

Later: Only now looked at Ombugge's link, showing another view!
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

It’s the towers that looked Nordic to me ombugge – ok, ok Icelandic flavour of Nordic!!!!
                Ah, from Yves info I now see I was on the right track, for the architect is non other than Guðjón Samúelsson who went on to design the famous Hallgrimskirkja in Reykjavik and was State Architect of Iceland!

Like you Ivy I was in Akureyri only a short time in connection with a tour to Lake Myvatn, on which the transport broke down, resulting in an even shorter time in the town than envisaged!
                I remember dashing off to see the cathedral, panting up all the steps. I was on a mission for my mother – to see the stained glass from Coventry Cathedral that Yves mentions. My mother had been very shocked by the destruction of Coventry Cathedral in the wartime bombing. My grandfather was a farmer not so very far away from Coventry, and my parents had been so worried during the war. Then my grandparents were persuaded to move to the Lancashire coast where my grandfather, with experience of saddlery and the like, subsequently worked doing stitching jobs in my father’s shoe repair shop.

The story of how the stained glass ended up in Iceland is a curious one, and in looking up a link for you I have actually just read more details than were known at the time my mother talked about it.

Rapidly looking for a new puzzle...

Comment

Here's the next picture which I'm sure should be easy for all you clever puzzlers

Comment

Is this cimetery located in western Europe?

Comment

Jewish Cemetery somewhere in the UK???

Comment

Jewish cemetery - yes
                        Somewhere in the UK - no
                        Located in western Europe - no

Maximum "points" for town and name of cemetery and whose grave it is!!!!!!

Comment

Where is there the most Jewish Cemeteries?? Israel or Russia.
                          I go for Israel.

Comment

No, I think this is the grave of Franz Kafka in the New Jewish Cemetery, Prague. See http://flavorwire.com/403319/50-plac...visit/view-all
                            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Not Israel or Russia.

Comment

Working...
                              X