What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

You could leave out the etc.'s, perhaps? (Aren't I kind? ).
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Hi Ivy. Since we can forget etc... I vote for Peru.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
        Hi Ivy. Since we can forget etc... I vote for Peru.
        I also think it must be in that area. I have found a few similar looking sculptures, all of which seem to be pre Inca. This little chap seems to be rather camera shy though, have not found a match yet. Can you confirm yneac's guess of Peru, Ivy?, and also the period, are we pre Inca?

EDIT: Just occurred to me, Ivy is having trouble accessing a lot of the threads since the change to the new forum, so if we do not hear back from Ivy straight away, this will be the reason why. If so, we have plenty of time to keep looking!
        Last edited by Steve.B; September 10th, 2013, 12:22.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Ivy cannot access this thread at the moment due to technical difficulties that are preventing her accessing threads with over 160 posts.

So that she can carry on joining in with the puzzle, i have made a temporary thread in the 'Off The Vessel' part of the forum.

Here is the link to the continuation of the puzzle - What Place is this? - Temp (Link now removed).

EDIT: We have now found a way to solve the problem, so we can now resume here again.
          Last edited by Steve.B; September 14th, 2013, 13:10.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

To get us up to date, these were the comments made in the temporary thread.

Originally posted by wherrygirl
            Peru is correct. The statue is modern(ish), but as I said above, "It seems to be a modern figure, but representing a "type" of individual of a pre-Inca period"

Don't worry too much about its use, by the way. People use it casually for a purpose, which, shall we say, it rather invites one to do.

Originally posted by Steve.B

What on earth could this little chap be inviting anyone to do?? Hands tucked on his tummy, big grin on his face, anything to do with eating festivals or ceremonies?

Reply by wherrygirl.
            Inviting anyone to do? Have a close look at the whole "installation". For example, what are kids likely to do as soon as they see it? But this is not really the actual point of the puzzle, as I said. You are looking for a more precise location and, if possible, what the image represents. And that is certainly not to do with festivals or ceremonies, nothing pleasant like that!
            Grin? I think that's his double chin you're looking at! look at the double row of rectangles just above.

Comment

I am guess that this little chap does not reside in a museum, at least any of the main stream ones. I have searched hi and low for him. From what you say, Ivy, would i be correct in saying he's a replica of somesort? If so, a reason for him not to be in any of the main museums in Peru.

Comment

No, he's not in any museum, far from it. He's not a replica, if you mean by that a replica of the statue of a known individual. As I said above, he's a representation of a type of person, like someone making a statue of a sailor, any old sailor. Mind you, I suppose he may be a copy of an actual original made by the people living in that age and dug up from a ruin. That's just conjecture on my part, there was no information on that accompanying the photo. So you're looking for the place in Peru where he is, and what sort of person/occupation he represents.
                Ivy

Comment

I have found many similar sculptures, but not one gives any information regarding what the sculpture/figure represents! So frustrating.

But i think i may be getting close to the period, his he from the Chavin period of Peru - approx 200 - 900bc?
                  Last edited by Steve.B; September 15th, 2013, 00:14. Reason: typo - silly keyboard batteries are low.

Comment

Hee hee - progress is that we know how old he is - to within 700 years, we know where he lives (more or less), but we haven't got a clue who he is!!
                    (Oops, sorry, posted as alter ego - same old Pol really).

Comment

same old Pol really
                      Aah, bless his old heart

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                      I have found many similar sculptures, but not one gives any information regarding what the sculpture/figure represents! So frustrating.

But i think i may be getting close to the period, his he from the Chavin period of Peru - approx 200 - 900bc?
                      My word, Steve is back with a vengeance, how on earth did you come up with that??? Bang on target. I think you may have caught him.
                      Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post

My word, Steve is back with a vengeance, how on earth did you come up with that??? Bang on target. I think you may have caught him.
                        You must be joking! I had already spend about 2 hours searching for figures from that period, found some very similar little chaps, but not a single sighting of him. It was a sighting of an almost identical figure that made me go for that period, but this chap really is camera shy.

Comment

It is really very easy to find that photo, without digging too deeply.
                          Ivy

Comment

I do not know what i am missing, but it must be darn obvious! I am at a total loss with finding this one. I must have seen hundreds of these stone chaps, some very similar indeed, but absolutely none of them have given me a clue on how to track this one down. Stone carving, stone figure, stone monolith, stone tribal warrior, Inca - pre inca, Peru, chavin period and countless other mixtures of words trying to search for this one. Just not getting anywhere.

He is obviously in a place that tourist do not readily have their cameras to hand, all the other similar carvings/figures i have found, have had dozens of different photos taken of them. But i think this chap must have been hiding under a dustbin in someones back yard for the last 30 years.

Comment

I think Wherrygirl has excelled herself this time! Ivy seems to have found something even more obscure than one of Ombugge's 'beaches of south east Asia'!
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Don't let Ivy drive you crazy,Steve.One day she'll be punished!

Comment

Working...
                                X