• Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Stromboli???????????????

Comment

Well done, ombugge. Your turn.
      Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

I have had no time to look for something to post here this last two week.
        Anybody feeling the urge are welcome.

Comment

The interest for our World Wide Puzzle appears to be diminishing.
          Since nobody has taken up the challenge I'll have to post this old scanned photo and ask; where in the wide world is this???

Last edited by ombugge; May 23rd, 2013, 09:53.

Comment

My interest for this thread is always so lively.I was going to post a photo this morming when I discovered yours,Ombugge.
            So let's play:China?

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
              My interest for this thread is always so lively.I was going to post a photo this morming when I discovered yours,Ombugge.
              So let's play:China?
              Yes China. (It says so on the roof of the left blue godown)
              But WHERE in China????

There are some clues here for those who know something about Chinese "colonial" history and the various "Treaty Ports".

Comment

First try:Macao? Second:Hong KONG.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                  First try:Macao? Second:Hong KONG.
                  No-No & No-No.

Those two places were actual Colonies, not Treaty Ports.
                  Hong Kong Island was "given" to Britain after the First Opium War, in 1842. Kowloon was added later and the New Territory leased much later again.
                  All these territories was returned to China in 1997.

Macau is also an island. It was occupied by Portugal at a very early stage of Western presents on the China Coast (1550s) and was only returned to China in 1999.

You have to go back in history as the Unequal Treaties effectively ended in 1941, although last remnants, such as the Foreign Quarters in Shanghai, was re-occupied after WWII and ended with the Communist take-over in 1949.

Norway was the first to voluntarily drop their treaty rights, already in 1931.

Comment

This is not my corner of the world, and a historic photo makes it difficult to recognize the scenery in the present days.

But i will try a guess: Dalian?
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                      This is not my corner of the world, and a historic photo makes it difficult to recognize the scenery in the present days.

But i will try a guess: Dalian?
                      I'm surprised as I did not expect this one to be solved so quickly and by a self-confest "Europhile", with little interest in the Far East.
                      Dalian it is!!! I'm interested in knowing how you solved this one so quickly.
                      Did I give away too much by talking about Treaty Ports at such an early stage???

Comment

Strike! No, you did not give it away, i was just lucky. I spotted the TNT logo on that building on the picture and looked for TNT subsidiaries in China. Since Dalian is listed shortly after Bejing and Shanghai, which were sorted out, i soon had a look via Google earth and recognized the shape of the highway in relation to the harbour, while not much of the rest seems still to exist today. So it was a quite wild guess.

Let's see if i find something before leaving to Sweden...

Comment

Strike! No, you did not give it away, i was just lucky. I spotted the TNT logo on that building on the picture and looked for TNT subsidiaries in China. Since Dalian is listed shortly after Bejing and Shanghai, which were sorted out, i soon had a look via Google earth and recognized the shape of the highway in relation to the harbour, while not much of the rest seems still to exist today. So it was a quite wild guess.

Let's see if i find something before leaving to Sweden...
                          Well done anyhow. The clue I mentioned was that the old buildings in the foreground is typical of the Tsarist architectur from the turn of the century, (1900)
                          They are still standing, as far as I know. At least they were when I last visited.

Dalian was known as Port Arthur, or at least the port area was, during the time Russia controlled it, from 1898 to 1905. Before and after it was under Japanese control, up to 1945. For some reason there doesn't appear to be much preserved from the Japanese time, while the few remnants from the short Russian period is protected.
                          Link to a blogg about a visit to Dalian: http://www.davidgrant.org/holidays/V.../04-dalian.htm

Here is another picture from Dalian, also taken in 1997 or thereabouts: Correction: June 1998.

Not exactly "Historical", but it does show the Aircraft Carrier Varyag that had just be brought from Russia. (Now in service as the Liaoning)
                          Last edited by ombugge; May 23rd, 2013, 16:11. Reason: corr.

Comment

Well, try this one:

(picture by Nicole Tews)
                            Last edited by Ralf__; May 30th, 2013, 20:36.

Comment

Well, try this one:

Somewhere in Germany??

Comment

Correct. As it should be for a "a self-confest "Europhile""...

Comment

Working...
                                X