• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Yes! Scandinavia but not Norway!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post

My vote to Carnival Splendor has the reason that most of the Carnival ships have this typical funnel and the have all different designs on their upper decks. So if you got time, please check and compare if i am right. You will find the deck plans here:
      http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships.aspx
      I am sure you are correct Ralf, take a look at the aerial photos of her on this page.

http://www.traveltorial.com/cruises/...amage-visible/

If you enlarge the second photo down on that page, all the details seem to match.

With regards to the second ship, i do not think the photo is detailed enough to be able to determine which of the Celebrity ships it is, like you say, they are all extremely similar.

Now, i wonder if our Captain will now realise that if he wants to set a puzzle like that, then there really is only the one sensible place to post it - right here on CVF!

So, back to Cecilia's puzzle....... umm, i do not have a clue at the moment, but i am having a look.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
        Yes! Scandinavia but not Norway!
        We can probably safely discard Denmark from this puzzle. It does not look right for Finland and it is not in Norway??

So that leaves Sweden only. Where do you find Trollstigen in Sweden???

Here is where:
        Story:
        Trollstigen in Lesjofors is about 3 km long walk among Elves, Trolls and other fun and fabulous figures, created by Lasse Kaipiainen.
        Trollstigen is a popular hike for both adults and children, with much to discover along the trail.
        There is troll of stone and wood, different type of animals, Small trolls and their houses, troll father's bandy stick, among many other things.
        It’s also good to bring some snacks and take a picnic on any of the resting places along the trail, and look at the view. The trail starts below Lesjofors museum.
        PS> Looks like trekking Trollstigen in Lesjofors would put a spring in your steps. I can't find that specific building though.
        Last edited by ombugge; March 21st, 2013, 03:51. Reason: Correction made

Comment

Good to see you here Steve, and definitely a corroboration of Ralf’s findings.

And in Seagull’s puzzle, hot on the heels of PoloUK’s breakthrough, ombugge has successfully homed in on Sweden.
          BUT…
          I have always suspected that there are just as many trolls in Sweden as in Norway, and hence lots of Troll paths all over the country!!! My travel mascot Sea-troll is actually Swedish, and is wondering why he and I have never been to Lesjofors to check out those houses for small trolls there!!
          So that is NOT the identification of the puzzle picture.

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          ....Looks like tracking Trollstigen in Lesjofors would put a spring in your steps....
          Haha…nice one ombugge…and thanks to you I just discovered that the company Lesjofors AB have been manufacturing springs since 1852 and are “one of the leading spring suppliers in the world”.

So ombugge has inspired your next clue:
          Taking the puzzle picture location as a starting point, there is the possibility for another considerably longer adult hike.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
            Captains puzzle:
            I’ve enjoyed getting to know those Celebrity ships a bit better, and certainly Millenium and Infinity seem to go to Puerto Vallarta a lot, and I even found Millenium together with Carnival Splendour on some previous years cruise call lists (22-Sep-2011 and 24-May-2012).
            You did the job i had no patience for yesterday (yes there was also some work in the office but no excuse), good work. Together with Steve's confirmation of C.Splendour, i think we can nail it on one of those days you mentioned. It must have been 2011 or 2012, because if you look at the GE history pictures, there have been many changes in this port area during the last year and Captain's picture is showing the latest state.

So i am so courageous to say: Captain's puzzle solved! Such an impressing teamwork!

And now back to the Cecilia / Swedish one. I am sure it will not survive today...
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Cecilia`s Puzzle:

We see here "The Golden Ball" in Hemavan, Sweden.
              http://www.geolocation.ws/v/P/850651...golden-ball/en

The Hotel nearby is Högfjällshotellet.
              http://hemavantarnaby.se/hemavan-hogfjallshotellet/

Hemavan is one end of the Kungsleden (or the Royal Trail).
              http://www.svenskaturistforeningen.s...e-Royal-Trail/

And here are also some pictures of the Hemavan Trollstigen.
              http://elfgren.net/cgi/new//View.cgi...an/Trollstigen

Comment

Congratulations to Ralf who has correctly identified Hemavan in Sweden to solve the puzzle!

It’s also worth mentioning that the building contains a visitor centre “Naturum” –there are many of these Naturum centres at various national parks and suchlike in Sweden, with exhibits about all aspects of nature, local history/culture, and information about walking and hiking.
                The other thing is that at the top of that “bridge” from the golden globe there is the Alpine Botanical Garden

Hemavan is of course well known as a ski resort, but as you can see it is also a delightful place to visit in the summertime. All my photos were taken in July 2000, and I stayed in Högfjällshotellet, after also a few days in Storuman. This trip was the very first time of taking photos with a digital camera! - a Nikon E900 – the memory cards were very expensive, and I was “rationed” to how many photos I could take! The 1.2 megapixel images (1280x960 pixels) show their age full size, but I was pleasantly surprised seeing them reduced to CVF dimensions!!

I didn’t continue my bus journey west beyond Hemavan, and have still to do so. This would of course cross into Norway and on to Mo I Rana. But back then my only knowledge of Norway was a few hours in Narvik (on a rail trip from Sweden) and my "Hurtigruting days" were still in the future!

Over to Ralf!

Comment

Finland stole "Julenissen" and now Sweden wants to steal Trollstigen. What's next????

Comment

The Norwegians will have to register such words as Trademarks.

Back to Germany (no clue, because you see a flag), but where exactly?

Comment

Looks like some Norwegian have managed to re-capture Trollstigen: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/article7277101.ece
                      A assume they also have arranged copyright.

Where in Germany?? I would think Tyrol???

Comment

Sorry, but Tirol (Tyrol) is in Austria. And South Tirol is that part of Italy, where they talk German, but it is Italy.

Comment

A lot of people are looking in here but no new guess.

There are two ways to solve this one:
                          1. Question and answer game to come nearer to the location.
                          2. There is a certain keyword, which leeds more or less directly to the right solution. This keyword is German and is the name for something you see in the picture.

Comment

Another wild guess; Anger, Bavaria, Germany???

Comment

Black Forrest?.........

Comment

Black Forest is the correct area!

Comment

Working...
                                X