• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Near Niagara Falls????

Comment

No ombugge, Not near Niagara Falls but yes it in fact is (or was) Niagara Falls.

In 1969, when I had taken this picture, the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers blocked the flow of water to the American Falls (that's equivalent to 567,811 liter per second) to try to strengthen the top layer of rock as well as to survey and possibly remove some of the rock pile in order to increase the actual "fall" of the water to 188 feet. It was decided to leave the rock pile as is, as the rock pile would actually slow the erosion of the softer stone under the falls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Falls
      Last edited by Remarc; February 28th, 2013, 05:46.

Comment

Remarc, I've just learned much more about those falls than I ever knew - which was not all that detailed, anyway! Thank you.
        And well done Ombugge, I hadn't a clue where to start on that one, other than a guess that it may be in Remarc's part of the world.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
          Remarc, I've just learned much more about those falls than I ever knew - which was not all that detailed, anyway! Thank you.
          And well done Ombugge, I hadn't a clue where to start on that one, other than a guess that it may be in Remarc's part of the world.
          That was an "off the cuff" answer. The foam pattern on the river is similar to what can be seen on any number of pictures and videos of Cruise boats approaching the falls.
          That the background was the actual falls on the American side was a surprise. I didn't know that anybody would be able to block the flow of such a major fall. (In terms of volume)

Since I will be flat out working from tomorrow, I leave the field open to anybody who wants to post a puzzle picture.
          I don't want to expose myself to the rage of Ivy, if I don't answer a question. Frying pans may be flying East.

PS> Here is a picture with both the American and Canadian falls active:

You can see the foam pattern here as well.
          Last edited by ombugge; March 2nd, 2013, 11:10. Reason: Add PS

Comment

No-one coming forward??? So try this one.

Unfortunately someone has sawn off the top of the signpost.

original photograph by Asterion:
            Last edited by wherrygirl; March 7th, 2013, 19:33.
            Ivy

Comment

Hmmmm. Seems to be somewhere in Northern GB. Is it on the "Mainland" or on one of the smaller islands?
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Yes to northern GB and it is on the mainland, Ralf. And you don't need the capital M for mainland, compared to all the other thousands of little islands and rocks around our coast, we see ourselves as one vast continent!
                Ivy

Comment

So then it is John O' Groats Inn, so to say the "British North Cape" or "Land End of Scotland".

I was thinking about driving there during our trip in summer, but this will be too far. So i think we will end up at Inverness and the Isle of Skye as northermost points.

Does not seem you get a cup of coffee in there, either.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/69945...=kh.google.com
                  Last edited by Ralf__; March 7th, 2013, 12:32.

Comment

Very well and quickly done, Ralf.
                    Interesting point made by the Wiki article.

"John o' Groats is popular with tourists because it is generally regarded as the most northerly settlement on the island of Great Britain, although this is not a claim made by its inhabitants and is in fact false. It is however one end of the longest distance between two inhabited points on the island of Great Britain, Land's End being the other. (The most northerly point on the island of Great Britain is nearby Dunnet Head)."

Now it is over to you Ralf, to set us hunting again.
                    Ivy

Comment

I am also running out of motifs. So i will repeat this time an old idea, but with a new tunnel: Where was this picture made?

Comment

Hmmm. Overhead traction, lined tunnel, Riggenbach rack (I think). Not very tidy on the left hand side though. Think we're somewhere German speaking.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I can confirm Riggenbach and Germany. If it would have been more tidy, i bet it would have been in Svitzerland.

But you all know, that this is an entry for all you others.
                          This Riggenbach-guy knows too much about railways...

Comment

I think this is the Zugspitzbahn railway in Bavaria, perhaps. See http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...itzbahn001.jpg This was taken at the summit station - Zugspitzplatt.
                            Last edited by wherrygirl; March 8th, 2013, 13:29.
                            Ivy

Comment

Well done, Ivy.

My children were there two years ago with their grandparents.
                              So the picture was taken by one of them.

This year they will visit Berlin, so maybe one of the next puzzles is there?

It is your turn again, Ivy!

Comment

At first I felt guilty to find I was correct, for it was Mark's recogniton of the Riggenbach rack that enabled me to input search terms that persuaded Google to produce. But then a quick change of thought - no, these men won't have it all their own way. Ralf, a railway buff, posts his puzzle, while I'm writing my post there are Steve, another rail buff and Mark, an engineer all on the same thread. That Janihudi I don't know, he never goes anywhere except on rubber wheels and his transport interest other than that is ships, and maybe he is not a train expert. So I told myself that Mark's thoughts merely put me on the same level playing field as the others.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X