What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Very good, Yves and Thijs! The tricky thing is, you will not find it in actual accomodation lists. The owner unfortunately has dismissed recently the tenants, who ran the cottage for more than 20 years. Presently no one knows, how the story will proceed. So since one week the homepage leads to the new place of the tenants (update: last check showed, it is completely closed now).

We had some good stays there (my parents have a vacation apartment near Schwangau). You are only allowed to walk there, you need an hour from the parking down at the lower terminus of the Tegelberg ropeway. Or if you go up with the ropeway you will need to climb down about half an hour.
    So in the evening it is quite lonely and cosy there. During winter it was possible to lend a sleigh there and rush downwards with torches. Big fun after some beers and Enzian-Schnaps...and also a bit dangerous! At the end of the way down you could just leave the sleigh and the tenants brought them up again the next morning.
    It was a perfect place to have together with most local people (no tourist show) a typical Bavarian "Hüttn-Gaudi" (Hüttn=cottage, Gaudi=lat.:gaudere=have fun).
    Now memories...sigh!

But over to you, either Ives or Thijs, i don't want to judge.
    Last edited by Ralf__; February 8th, 2013, 15:35.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

ives may have this one Ralf,he brought me to hohenschwangau,i did only google surch for differens names.
      holz gasthof ,berg gasthof,bauern gasthof ,al with hohenschwangau and bayern on images.
      so just working the easy way,while ives did the hard job,but i also want to know how he get to hohenschwangau?
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
        ives may have this one Ralf,he brought me to hohenschwangau,i did only google surch for differens names.
        holz gasthof ,berg gasthof,bauern gasthof ,al with hohenschwangau and bayern on images.
        so just working the easy way,while ives did the hard job,but i also want to know how he get to hohenschwangau?
        Only by chance,Thijs. Ralf said we were neither in Scandinavia nor in Black Forrest but we had to stay in Germany. So I thought about mountains in Bavaria.
        A lot of lights inside and outside seemed indicate it was not a simple house but a public place, and through the windows we can see people, maybe eating. Hence my suggestion it was a gasthof.
        Then I went to the guide Michelin Germany to find the highest concentration of hotels-Restaurants in Bavarian Alps and it appeared that the Castle areas were full of them. It rang a bell in my mind and remembered me Ralf’s previous post located at Fussen. Bingo!
        But later I couldn’t find the right restaurant on an accommodation website.
        So, Thijs, you’re the winner. No doubt.

Comment

You are a marvellous pair. That was a good one.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

well drop in this one,but as soon Ombugge log in ,we have the answer.

where is this,and what are they loading there,and why are they loading it like that.

btw image from an old book,but stil there a few years back
            Last edited by janihudi; February 8th, 2013, 21:02.
            best regards Thijs

Comment

Well, Ombugge has shown pictures of how they are building up man-made "extensions" in Singapore to make new land. Might this picture show the loading of soil/sand which has been excavated and is now to be transported to the new area? In which case they load it with two cranes like that to keep the balance equal fore and aft.
              If my thought of "what" is correct, but it is not Singapore, then maybe it is to do with the enclosure of the Zuiderzee, and the construction of the Afsluitdijk?
              Last edited by wherrygirl; February 9th, 2013, 01:15.
              Ivy

Comment

Iron or loading somewhere in Africa. My first guess is somewhere in Liberia

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                  If my thought of "what" is correct, but it is not Singapore, then maybe it is to do with the enclosure of the Zuiderzee, and the construction of the Afsluitdijk?
                  i'm disapointed in you Ivy,you know holland better than me,you would know that they don't use this type of ''cranes'' for the afsluitdijk,also the vessel is to big to get there.

no soil ,no sand

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                  Iron or loading somewhere in Africa. My first guess is somewhere in Liberia
                  no iron eather,and not in Africa,so also not liberia.
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

Is there a connection with WWII?

Comment

not really,the were occupied,from the population of 1200, which were deported only 700 return back .
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                        i'm disapointed in you Ivy,you know holland better than me,you would know that they don't use this type of ''cranes'' for the afsluitdijk,also the vessel is to big to get there.

no soil ,no sand
                        How the d.ickens am I supposed to know about "cranes" and which type they used for the Zuiderzee works? And the vessel could have worked from the outside of the Afsluitdijk for all I know. [stumps off muttering about these impossible Dutchies]
                        Ivy

Comment

I think this may be the island of Nauru, in the Pacific. See http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...sphateship.jpg showing the loading of phosphate.
                          PS, See also http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...sphateship.jpg an article which describes the loading of the phosphates. I'm not sure, but although the operation's main problem seems to be the excessive dust on account of the phosphate rocks being ground very finely, I don't quite understand how the loading system shown helps prevent the dust as compared to a normal operation.
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; February 9th, 2013, 14:22.
                          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            How the d.ickens am I supposed to know about "cranes" and which type they used for the Zuiderzee works? And the vessel could have worked from the outside of the Afsluitdijk for all I know. [stumps off muttering about these impossible Dutchies]
                            because it arrn't cranes of Nauru,and on video's of closing the Zuiderzee from the waddenzee you see the ''normal'' cranes.
                            and the Waddenzee is nowhere deep enough for those big vessels.

yes Ivy it's Nauru wel done.
                            Nauru is a coral island very short near the beach is the coral already,so to protect that and there is no natural or man made port the have to stay away from the island.
                            thats way the vessels get loaded by a transportation band ,the cranearm taking care of the loading is spread well in the vessels.

if you go to GE you can stil see the plants of the phosphate,but according the book the island is no producer anymore,about 2000 they ran out of phosphate .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauru

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauru

Nauru is the best in small things
                            but also it's also the country that there national soccer team won all there interland soccer game's, but they played it just ones
                            Last edited by janihudi; February 9th, 2013, 14:44.
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

Try this one: Where is this and what have the listed names in common?

Photograph by Fotochap
                              Last edited by wherrygirl; February 17th, 2013, 22:35. Reason: Added attribution
                              Ivy

Comment

Are we in Japan and is there a connection with airplanes?

Comment

Working...
                                X