What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Just in addition.I read a nice and funny novel taking place in this part of Sweden.By Mikael Niemi:"popularmusik fran Vittula".There is a French version so I think you can find it in English.An occasion to spend a good time.

Comment

This is in Bavaria near the border with Austria. It is overlooking the Alatsee - a lake which has many interesting aspects according to Wiki. See http://translate.google.com/translat...ed=0CDoQ7gEwAA

See a near identical photo at http://www.holidaycheck.de/reisetipp...aId=1157268011 almost the same view. It looks beautiful.
      Last edited by wherrygirl; January 22nd, 2013, 17:09.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        See http://www.holidaycheck.de/reisetipp...aId=1157268011 almost the same view. It looks beautiful.
        How on earth did you get that so quickly Ivy?
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Wow, Ivy! As if you had been there before. Yes, it is a nice place near Füssen and Neuschwanstein Castle.
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Actually the picture is taken in Austria and the view is across the border to Germany. For me it is always a nice experience to see a border without fence, barrier or post.

It is dangerous to dive in the Alatsee because of the special biological situation in the water. Here is a German documentation. Even if you don't understand the words, the pictures should be impressive. Clear, that they are also searching for hidden and secret Nazi treasures and various ghosts shall be there in dark nights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K91B4H79NPE
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KAQpsnCnAE
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc1HsDI0iPg
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyYnz06y7Qg

There is also a popular crime novel released in Germany called Kommissar Kluftinger "Seegrund", where most of the plot happens at the Alatsee.
            http://kommissar-kluftinger.de/index.php?id=512#

Unfortunately we have here up to now no English version.

Over to you, Ivy.

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
              How on earth did you get that so quickly Ivy?
              Sheer luck, Mark. I just happened to be the first on the scene soon after Ralf had posted his puzzle. I didn't know the English for Landesgrenze but as soon as I Googled for a translation I thought it shouldn't be too tricky.
              Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
              Wow, Ivy! As if you had been there before.
              No, I've never been to either Germany or Austria, Ralf. Thanks for the you-tubes, I must have a look at them for that lake certainly seemed to have some really interesting aspects from what I read on Wiki.
              You know, I think we regular habitues of this thread ought to get up a tour of some of the places we have featured, just think of the variety there is. Then when we return home we can look at this thread, do a little dance and say "Yeah, we've been there! ".
              Now I must fetch my pin and map and find another one.
              Ivy

Comment

Try this one. What is the building in this picture, and for a bonus what about the memorial?

photographer: Claus Bunks
                Last edited by wherrygirl; January 24th, 2013, 19:52. Reason: Added attribution
                Ivy

Comment

Try this one. What is the building in this picture, and for a bonus what about the memorial?

Hi Ivy
                  Do you offer us a stroll in South America,50's old fashion?

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                    Hi Ivy
                    I don't think this is from the 50's.
                    The cars don't look like they are from that time.
                    I think I can see Container Cranes in the distance.
                    Where??? I have no idea. (Yet)

Add.: Having looked a bit closer I'm not sure if it is South America either, but somewhere with a Spanish or Portuguese colonial influence.
                    The people looks dark skinned, although that may be because of the manipulations that has been done to make this picture look older than it actually is??
                    Last edited by ombugge; January 24th, 2013, 13:08.

Comment

Yes, also lorries and cars indicate that this is not from the fifties. My vote goes for late 70ies / early 80ies.
                      The picture is low quality so it is hard to see, but i guess to see a Peugeot pickup, a Leyland van, a Land Rover, an Iveco truck, a Daf Truck and an old MAN or Berliet truck. This mix, the style of the building and the landscape would lead me to Africa. And - with the cranes, as Ombugge identified - to an African harbour town.

So far so good? Or wrong?

Comment

Goodness, all ready to pounce, weren't you!

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                        Hi Ivy
                        I'm afraid not, Yves.

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                        I don't think this is from the 50's.
                        The cars don't look like they are from that time.
                        I think I can see Container Cranes in the distance.
                        Where??? I have no idea. (Yet)

Add.: Having looked a bit closer I'm not sure if it is South America either, but somewhere with a Spanish or Portuguese colonial influence.
                        The people looks dark skinned, although that may be because of the manipulations that has been done to make this picture look older than it actually is??
                        Correct, Ombugge in that it is not from the 50's, and the Spanish/Portuguese influence is correct. "Manipulations...?????" How dare you suggest such a thing, sir. All I did out of the kindness of my heart was sharpen it a bit in an effort to enable all you chaps to immediately ID the vehicles
                        Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                        Yes, also lorries and cars indicate that this is not from the fifties. My vote goes for late 70ies / early 80ies.
                        The picture is low quality so it is hard to see, but i guess to see a Peugeot pickup, a Leyland van, a Land Rover, an Iveco truck, a Daf Truck and an old MAN or Berliet truck. This mix, the style of the building and the landscape would lead me to Africa. And - with the cranes, as Ombugge identified - to an African harbour town.
                        So far so good? Or wrong?
                        Period, Ralf, is almost correct. Makes of vehicles? Pass! African harbour town - correct.
                        (Thinks - wish I'd chosen one of the other pics. of the same place. When you lot get going like this in just a few minutes, finding all these clues, it makes me realise I don't know anything about anywhere.)
                        Ivy

Comment

A right old mix of things in this photo! I have not got a clue to the makes of most of those vehicles, but, the large white van leads me to agree with Ralf on the date, we must be in either the very late 70's, or more likely the 80's.

In the left hand foreground there seems to be an art deco style of building, so this place does seem to have some western influence.

But, if it were not for that white van, the lack of traffic and traffic control would have made me think that this was dated back in the 60's.

I am guessing this is an old colonial town. The mix of building styles makes me think that. Time to do some research into African history me thinks.
                          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

A google image search for "African colonial ports" nailed this one!

http://kids.britannica.com/comptons/...ticleTypeId=31

So i think we are looking at the railway station in Maputo, Mozambique?
                            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I may as well grab the bonus while i am at it.

The memorial is dedicated to the Portuguese that lost their lives in the great war.
                              http://www.africaimagelibrary.com/me...oldiers-killed

So obviously it goes without saying that it was the Portuguese that had control of this part of Africa. The People's Republic of Mozambique declared independence from Portugal in 1975.

Comment

Steve, right and right again. Well done. I really should have chosen one of the other pics. just to make this last a little linger. If I ever have another chance, it will be as anonymous as I can find. (Back to the 3rd blade of grass!)
                                So now, what have you for us this time?
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X