Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
    A station buffet? I guess it's wrong but nevertheless I try!!!
    No, sorry, Yves. A good idea though, but not a station buffet.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Lets give you all another view of the same building, and once again, the great Google machine cannot identify it.

Photo is by James.Stringer, from his photostream on flickr
      Last edited by Steve.B; January 17th, 2013, 22:37. Reason: Adding photo credit
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I don't want to spoil folks fun, but I think it may be in UK, but not England and more a 'dramatic' prison than a real one?

Comment

Originally posted by Linray View Post
          I don't want to spoil folks fun, but I think it may be in UK, but not England and more a 'dramatic' prison than a real one?
          Now this sounds promising! Correct on all three counts there. I think you may have it Linray??

Comment

Yes, I'm sure I do, it was my gut reaction when I first saw it, but then began to doubt myself. However, I will leave it for those that have been working so hard to come up with the answer!

Comment

Ooooh! Those are really good clues and I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I think Ivy might have it as well and she's been working hard at this so I'll let her have it!
              MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
              Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
              My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Nom d'un chien (jings?).UK mainland but no Scotland, so Wales or, in a way, Northern Ireland?
                Another question.Is this building connected with a movie or TV set?

Comment

Yes, I'm sure I do, it was my gut reaction when I first saw it, but then began to doubt myself. However, I will leave it for those that have been working so hard to come up with the answer!
                  Originally posted by Sarnia View Post
                  Ooooh! Those are really good clues and I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I think Ivy might have it as well and she's been working hard at this so I'll let her have it!
                  Looks like a few have found it!

Nom d'un chien (jings?).UK mainland but no Scotland, so Wales or, in a way, Northern Ireland?
                  Another question.Is this building connected with a movie or TV set?
                  Yes, the clues are coming thick and fast, and you are correct, this place does have a connection with the TV.

So who is going to spill the beans? Will Ivy get there? Keep watching folks!
                  Last edited by Steve.B; January 17th, 2013, 20:39.

Comment

It seems to be Portmeirion village in Wales. I got there via the Hercules sign but don't ask me how! Used for The Prisoner. There are photos here including one of the window in Steve's second photo, but I can't quite get the original pic.

Later, Wiki had it, more or less: This is a slightly different view of the puzzle pic.

What a strange place. I recognised the name, but didn't really know anything about the village. And this one really had us puzzling, Steve. But please, so many of you had guessed it long ago, so if I have guessed correctly it is only after many clues from elsewhere, and I think it should be open to anyone for the next photo, if Steve agrees.
                    Last edited by wherrygirl; January 17th, 2013, 21:19.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                      It seems to be Portmeirion village in Wales. I got there via the Hercules sign but don't ask me how! Used for The Prisoner. There are photos here including one of the window in Steve's second photo, but I can't quite get the original pic.
                      Ivy, I bet my skirt (French expression) on you.

Comment

Well, that was fun! And i think everyone got there in the end (with the exception of Mr Ombugge who was probably sleeping whilst you were all closing in).

Mark (PoloUK) just happened to visit the place a couple of years ago, so he knew immediately, but rather than giving it away so soon he chucked in the clue about the locals having names or numbers. Fantastic clue, had you all running around the British Prison Service. He was of course referring to the opening credits to an old 1960's tv program called the Prisoner which was filmed in the village.

So, Portmeirion village in North Wales was the place. I believe the whole village is owned and run by a trust,i believe there are no local residents, just employees and visitors who can rent the cottages.

Some interesting opinions of the village.

http://www.oneletterwords.com/portme...rtual-reality/

And if anyone was wondering what the view was from the webcam that Ralf spotted in the first picture, i believe it must be webcam No1 on this link to the 4 webcams around the village.

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/Portmeirion.html

The building in question is known by two names, the Town Hall, or the Hercules Hall - well done Ivy for finding your way to the answer by that route! The hall houses a cafe, and is also used for weddings and other such functions.

Well, seeing that so many of you found your way to the answer, i fully agree with Ivy, the puzzle is open for anyone that wishes to post.

So who's got something lined up?

Comment

Big applause Steve for this puzzle.All of us have good memories with this TV set but searching the solution we were all Number Six !

Comment

Ivy, I bet my skirt (French expression) on you.
                            Well, actually, as I assume you don't wear a skirt I'm not sure how to take this. .
                            Yes, I agree with everyone that this really was a good one. But I've got it in for Markie as never having watched or heard of The Prisoner his "people or numbers" clue threw me right off the scent. Seeing his explanation, though, it was a brilliant one.
                            Now let's see who comes up with where.
                            Ivy

Comment

Come on, someone, I'm getting withdrawal symptons.
                              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                                Come on, someone, I'm getting withdrawal symptons.
                                I feel a frying pan coming on.

How about this one then ... a lovely idyllic rural scene.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X