What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

There are some quite tall Palm-like things growing in front of the house and what looks like a large Bougainvillea bush behind.
    I know some hardy Palms grow even as far north as Southwest Norway and in Scotland, but I believe they are mostly small varieties and may even be brought indoors for protection in the winter.
    Southwest England is more likely place for this "Manor" or whatever. (Also bearing in mind the originator of this puzzle)

Comment

The roof top is a crown. Does it mean that this is a builing belonging to the Royal Family?
      I am further fascinated by that little thing on the balcony looking like a camera. A cable can be spotted also. A webcam? What does it show?
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

There's also a small Maltese cross as part of the finial, which I think is probably copper. Don't forget that Steve has annotated the photo indicating that it is not his, so could be anywhere. Or he could be leading us astray! I agree with Ombugge, palms indicate a milder climate than Scotland can provide. There are candles showing within - small church or chapel?
        I've tried the Scillies, Lundy and a quick glance at Sark - for no reason I can explain I thought of islands. Steve, am I in the right area or way out?

PS I forgot a quick try in Malta, also!
        Last edited by wherrygirl; January 14th, 2013, 15:54.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

A few questions for me to try and answer.

Yyneac - We are indeed in Western Europe, but not in Scotland.

Ombugge - No, we are not in the South West of England, though i can see why you thought that.

Ralf - No connection to the Royal Family. But yes, i do believe you have spotted one of the webcams that cover this area. Now i could show you what it's looking at, but that would give a lot away, so i shall refrain from doing so. (for now, at least!).

Ivy - Stay off the islands for this one Ivy. And as for the decorative roof, well, i am not sure of what style it is meant to be, all i can say is that the area surrounding this building contains some more rather decoratively styled buildings. And lastly, no, not Malta.

Now have fun you lot!
          Last edited by Steve.B; January 14th, 2013, 18:22.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Somewhere in North Portugal?

Comment

Was wondering Steve. Do the locals have names or numbers?
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                Somewhere in North Portugal?
                No, way off the mark there. Not in Portugal at all.

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                Was wondering Steve. Do the locals have names or numbers?
                Mark, how dare you spoil my fun so quickly!
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Come on, Markie, don't keep us in suspense. You obviously have it!
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                    Come on, Markie, don't keep us in suspense. You obviously have it!
                    Ah, he may have it, but do you, Ivy? I think Mark want's to sit this one out for a while, maybe because he just happened to visit this place in the last year or two. So rather than spoil your fun, i think he's happy for you all to carry on. But you have to admit it was nice of him to give you all such a nice clue!

Comment

OK, a direct question; Are we in UK at all??

Comment

He said: "Stay off the islands for this one Ivy."
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                          OK, a direct question; Are we in UK at all??
                          Yes, we are.

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                          He said: "Stay off the islands for this one Ivy."
                          And just to clarify, that means we are on the UK mainland.

Comment

People with numbers rather than names??? Prisons or Military Camps??
                            I try Prisons or detention centres.
                            What about Dover Immigration Removal Centre,
                            The Citadel, Western Heights, Dover??

It is on Mainland UK, not in SW England, and Mark has visited Dover fairly recently.
                            Last edited by ombugge; January 15th, 2013, 13:36.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                              People with numbers rather than names??? Prisons or Military Camps??
                              I try Prisons or detention centres.
                              What about Dover Immigration Removal Centre,
                              The Citadel, Western Heights, Dover??

It is on Mainland UK and Mark has visited fairly reacently
                              Hang on Ombugge - I'm not sure I like your logic!! Mainland UK and Mark has visited, therefore must be prison or detention centre.

I'm going to have to borrow Ivy's frying pan (which I suspect is coming my way anyway!).

Apart from association of me and incarceration, you're going on the right lines though!
                              Last edited by PoloUK; January 15th, 2013, 13:34.
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Sorry Mark. Suitable corrections made to my last.

So, should we look for other Detention Centres, Prisons or the general area of Kent/Suss*x???

Comment

Working...
                                X