What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Problem: I haven't got eyes in the back of my head.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

For the sake of making a stab at it, what about Samarinda on the Mahakam Delta? The Samarinda Islamic Centre is there and I think that in the multitude of pics. of water villages I've browsed there is one on the opposite bank. But I can't find your puzzle mosque.There is a photo of a mosque here (the fourth photo) in your Indonesia thread but it is not that. I cannot find anything else.
      Last edited by wherrygirl; December 18th, 2012, 17:35.
      Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        For the sake of making a stab at it, what about Samarinda on the Mahakam Delta? The Samarinda Islamic Centre is there and I think that in the multitude of pics. of water villages I've browsed there is one on the opposite bank. But I can't find your puzzle mosque.There is a photo of a mosque here (the fourth photo) in your Indonesia thread but it is not that. I cannot find anything else.
        You are right, the Mosque is in Samarinda, but on the opposite bank of Mahakam River from the large Mosque which is part of Islamic Center.
        Among the many pictures I posted from Samarinda there is at least one that has the communication mast showing in the puzzle picture:

And this one, showing the Islamic Centre:

Now it is back to you Ivy.
        Last edited by ombugge; December 19th, 2012, 03:19.

Comment

Yes, I saw several photos of the Islamic Centre but, Ombugge, objection: that mast appears to have little resemblance to the one in the puzzle. The latter is clearly marked off in red and silver sections, as are practically all the masts in Indonesia (or so it seemed to me ) while the one above as it is in the photo shows only a vague indication of red on the central pole at one point if the picture is enlarged. (There is a mast in the distance to the left which is red/silver.) Further, the very tops of the masts are not the same.
          That mosque in the photo above is not the puzzle one, is it???? The dome is partly silver but seems to have a red top half and I can see only one minaret at the right with a sort of up-turned dish shaped top, whereas puzzle mosque had an all-silver dome and four quite elaborate minarets.
          However, I now know so much more than previously about the river or stilt villages in Indonesia. Not that that was difficult to achieve. But it really was very interesting, I enjoyed my "travels" despite the almost audible cursing and mutterings of "Oh, really, Ombugge!" that accompanied them and I'm grateful for the puzzle.
          So, I will seek a new spot on the planet for you all to ponder after the Christmas feast has finally got the better of you.
          Ivy

Comment

You are right Ivy. here is the correct communication mast:

The Mosque in my second picture above is at the Islamic Center.

Comment

Umm-mmm...... Pity I used up that bomb on Thijs yesterday. Can I ever again trust any of Ombugge's explanations of complicated oil rig set-ups? I learnt so much from them during the BP disaster.
              Ivy

Comment

OK - nothing to do? Try this. Where is this and name the two tallest rocks/peaks.

(photograph by Andrew Neaum)
                Last edited by wherrygirl; January 11th, 2013, 20:54. Reason: added attribution
                Ivy

Comment

Nobody yet after 4 days???
                  I'll open the guessing game by suggesting that we are not on the mainland somewhere, but somewhere on the dry side of an island.
                  For lack of a better suggestion, are we somewhere in the Canary Isles or Cape Verde???

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    Nobody yet after 4 days???
                    I'll open the guessing game by suggesting that we are not on the mainland somewhere, but somewhere on the dry side of an island.
                    Island, yes. (do tell me why you thought that or whether it was pure guesswork). Dry side, no.
                    For lack of a better suggestion, are we somewhere in the Canary Isles or Cape Verde???
                    No.
                    Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                      Island, yes. (do tell me why you thought that or whether it was pure guesswork). Dry side, no.

No.
                      The terrain on the picture look fairly dry, but the clouds indicate that there is a wet side not too far away, which is typical of islands in the trade wind belt around equator and the "dry belts". (From approx. 30 north to 30 south)

As for Canary Isles and Cape Verde?? That was a wild guess, since they fit the above description.

Comment

Well, well, well. Come on, someone.
                        Ombugge was very roughly in the right part of the world but needs to go south.
                        Ivy

Comment

Another wild guess, St. Helena. Island of volcanic origin in the South Atlantic Ocean.
                          Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
                            Another wild guess, St. Helena. Island of volcanic origin in the South Atlantic Ocean.
                            The pinnacles are named Lot and Lot's Wife???
                            Situated on St. Helena, as Oistein proposed.

Comment

Good for Oistein for getting to the island, though Ombugge gets the accolade for Lot and Lot's wife.
                              You see, all of you, it wasn't that hard, was it? Too full of all that Christmas cheer to think properly, I suppose!
                              So back to Ombugge for the next nightmare. I'll see if I can drag our Steve back in again.
                              Ivy

Comment

No puzzle?I am sad without my game buddies.

Comment

Working...
                                X