• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
    Puzzling, Puzzling.

Another try.

Are we at Layang Offshore Supply Base, Singapore?
    Does the railing belong to a place which can be seen from "the jetty view"?

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explo...esc&user=52959
    Ralf, the picture you show has nothing to do with Loyang Offshore Base.
    It may be the old BP Pier, now part of Labrador Park. (Looks like Pulau Bukom Refinery in the background)

But you solved the puzzle first, so you have the right and obligation to post the next one.

Comment

Thank you. So i was a little bit lucky with the Jetty clue... but i had a feeling that it would be a close race with Ivy so i did not spend much time of confirming the place for myself.

I will declare this as an open puzzle for new (or seldom) contributors.

I guess that a lot of people are following this thread, but have not much possibility to step in since we are veeery special in the meantime and you will have to know details about each other to solve a puzzle. I think it could be a good idea to widen our group again.

So everyone, who is interested: Post an interesting picture asking "What place is this?"

It is better to take an own picture, delete all the background information and check first via a google picture search if there are similar pictures popping up with the first keywords. "Stolen" pictures from the net can be found easily.

If no one is showing up within a week, i will post my next puzzle to continue. I hope this will not be necessary.
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

"Stolen" pictures from the net can be found easily.
        Not literally "stolen", I trust, Ralf! As I have long exhausted my store of possibles from my own photos I have no trouble whatsoever in finding something very suitable from photos licensed under Creative Commons. There's a whole world of puzzle pics. out there.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I will declare this as an open puzzle for new (or seldom) contributors.

I guess that a lot of people are following this thread, but have not much possibility to step in since we are veeery special in the meantime and you will have to know details about each other to solve a puzzle. I think it could be a good idea to widen our group again.

So everyone, who is interested: Post an interesting picture asking "What place is this?"
          Good idea, Ralf, there always seems to be people viewing this thread, would be great to have a new contributor posting a puzzle. I hope someone steps forward for the challenge!
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I have some places I'd be happy to make you discover, but the pictures I was thinking of can be found on the web (having previously been posted on another forum). If I promise that the pictures are mine, can you promise to wait a little bit before putting them through Google Image?
            (I've actually tried to "Google Image search" some of my pictures and discovered that two of them had been used by someone else on his own website - without me knowing of course, and without credit. So gracious ) .
            MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
            Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
            My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

That google image is a right pain sometimes! Posting a puzzle used to be the easy bit until that came along, now finding an image that google does not know about is the hard part of the puzzle!

But, i do make a rule of not using it when trying to solve a puzzle, using it takes all the learning and fun out of it. So do feel free to post one of your images for us all Sarnia.

And i know what you mean about others using your images, i myself have found a couple of mine on other sites, i would not have minded, but they got the description and location totally wrong on both of the photos! Darn cheek!
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

OK, so here is an attempt. It might be very easy, I'm not sure.

MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
                My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

To test the water, i'll try with Château de Domfront ruins, Basse-Normandie????

Comment

Oh, no, not Basse-Normandie.

Comment

The former convict prison in Cayenne, french Guyana ?

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                        The former convict prison in Cayenne, french Guyana ?
                        You have the area about right (it's in French Guyana), and the former utility of the place about right as well (I knew it was easy).
                        However it is not exactly the right answer, since it is not in Cayenne. One more try?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarnia View Post
                          You have the area about right (it's in French Guyana), and the former utility of the place about right as well (I knew it was easy).
                          However it is not exactly the right answer, since it is not in Cayenne. One more try?
                          So one of Salut islands.Ile Royale?

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                            So one of Salut islands.Ile Royale?
                            Very close!
                            OK I will give you the point. It is Ile Saint Joseph, one of the "Iles du Salut".

For those of you who don't know this place, here is the note I wrote about this picture on the other forum :

Iles du Salut (Salvation Islands), this group of three paradisiac islands off the coast of Guyane (French Guyana), is actually known because it has hosted, since 1850 and as recently as 1950, a penal colony of very ill repute.

Of all the penal colonies of Guyane, the one of Iles du Salut was the most difficult. Isolation (10 miles from the main land), sharks and strong sea currents were the best wardens. It was impossible to escape. With heat, humidity, fevers, hard work, punishments, life was horrible. Some 25000 convicts came here. Most of them died there.

On the Ile Saint Joseph were this picture was taken was the most difficult place of the colony, called in French the "Reclusion" (isolation), meant for the most difficult criminals. They were individually locked in cells less than 2 square meters big, with a wooden bed, where they could only lay with their legs curled. They would never see the daylight, never see any other convicts, never talk to anyone. They were watched from above, day and night, and would be fed through a small hole in the doors. A living hell of total isolation, day after day.

Today, only their ghosts remain. The buildings are being rapidly covered by the forest, and trees are growing in the cells, giving a totally weird and scary atmosphere. I don't think those buildings should be left to crumble. If we forget what happened here, people who suffered and die would be dead twice.

It's one of the most scary, impressive place I've ever been to. It was hard to take picture because I was so shocked, and also, more down-to-earth, because light is terrible (it's really dark under the trees and I don't have a tripod).

This picture (a classical view) was taken just five minute walk from this one. Hell and Paradise so close...

On the right-hand side, across the sea, is one of the other two islands, Ile du Diable. One of its famous convict was Capitaine Dreyfus who had been falsly accused of treason.

Yves, it's your turn!
                            Last edited by Sarnia; November 24th, 2012, 14:56.

Comment

For those who are interrested by history of this awful prison, a book by the great journalist Albert Londres: Au Bagne, Albin Michel editor (1922) Serpent à Plume editor (2002).I think an english version is available.

About puzzle,as Ralf,I pass my turn.If nobody send one I will do it in few days

Comment

No answer?
                                Then, what place is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X