Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
    My guess is that the steel handrail is connected to Ombugge's line of work, possibly some barge or platform connected with the drilling industry.
    You are right Steve, but the handrail is NOT on a barge or platform, (wrong type of handrail for that) but on a pier, or rather the approach to a pier, used by vessels connected with the Offshore Oil & Gas industry in the area.

"Numerous" pictures from there in various earlier posts, showing Offshore vessels of various types and sizes. (A few with the same handrail visible)

Comment

Back where you belong, Steve. Good to see.
      I've searched many of Ombugge's posts, but not to do with his work. I did include a jetty amongst my possibles, but I was searching the "This is......" type of thread. So, off again.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        Back where you belong, Steve. Good to see.
        I've searched many of Ombugge's posts, but not to do with his work. I did include a jetty amongst my possibles, but I was searching the "This is......" type of thread. So, off again.
        "Jetty" is very much a key here.

Comment

Two thoughts: Somewhere on the river at Kuala Belite/Belait, Brunei, or at Tungkal (Google prefers that to your Tengal).
          Ivy

Comment

Two thoughts: Somewhere on the river at Kuala Belite/Belait, Brunei, or at Tungkal (Google prefers that to your Tengal).
            Nice to see that you are learning about this part of the world, which has much to offer.
            But you are moving a little too far from your original place. (Even Kulai Tungkal/Tengal)

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
              Nice to see that you are learning about this part of the world, which has much to offer.
              Oh, I am, Ombugge. And not only because of this thread. I learn a great deal from the various threads you post in about the shipping in your area. One of these days I shall turn up in Singapore and persuade a certain local inhabitant to just take me out on his working trips for a week (at least!) so that I can see for myself the masses of tugs, freighters, floating cranes and heavy lift carriers, etc. Mind you, no stopping on your launch, tug or whatever while you go on board the whatever-it-is. I have to come on board as well. Someone will find a hard hat to fit me! You can keep your massive cruise ships, it's the working boats that are beginning to fascinate me.
              So back to the Batam area....
              Ivy

Comment

Oh, I am, Ombugge. And not only because of this thread. I learn a great deal from the various threads you post in about the shipping in your area. One of these days I shall turn up in Singapore and persuade a certain local inhabitant to just take me out on his working trips for a week (at least!) so that I can see for myself the masses of tugs, freighters, floating cranes and heavy lift carriers, etc. Mind you, no stopping on your launch, tug or whatever while you go on board the whatever-it-is. I have to come on board as well. Someone will find a hard hat to fit me! You can keep your massive cruise ships, it's the working boats that are beginning to fascinate me.
                So back to the Batam area....
                You are welcome to Singapore any time. I can guarantee a trip around the harbour, but not necessarily on board any ships for insurance reasons.
                If I should be outstation, my wife say she can show you the town, incl. sights that tourists don't normally gets to see.

Good hunting, but Batam Island is out. (Near surrounds are in)

Comment

Well i will now throw a guess in, however more based on your clues (not in Indonesia or singapore as far as i understood, but nearby and often visited and presented by you in the OFFSHORE - thread) than identified by the picture. Well the landscape and trees could fit but i did not manage to spot that special railing.

But i go for Labuan F.T (Island) East Malysia. Somewhere at the shore of Bandar Labuan, near the Financial Park?
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                    Well i will now throw a guess in, however more based on your clues (not in Indonesia or singapore as far as i understood, but nearby and often visited and presented by you in the OFFSHORE - thread) than identified by the picture. Well the landscape and trees could fit but i did not manage to spot that special railing.

But i go for Labuan F.T (Island) East Malysia. Somewhere at the shore of Bandar Labuan, near the Financial Park?
                    I don't think I discounted any place, except Batam itself, not any neigthbouring country???

Comment

I have found three photos, one labelled Jeti Jeram Batu, another Jeti Nelayan Pendras Laut and the third Pendas, tamjung kupang. I'm not really sure whether they are full names of places or naming something in the photo, but both are in Gelang Patah. Also found Sungai Danga, but I don't think that's the one.
                      Any good? If not, then I'm out of ideas. Been right through the Offshore thread and all over the area round about Batam, and without a further clue I'm done for!
                      Ivy

Comment

I have found three photos, one labelled Jeti Jeram Batu, another Jeti Nelayan Pendras Laut and the third Pendas, tamjung kupang. I'm not really sure whether they are full names of places or naming something in the photo, but both are in Gelang Patah. Also found Sungai Danga, but I don't think that's the one.
                        Any good? If not, then I'm out of ideas. Been right through the Offshore thread and all over the area round about Batam, and without a further clue I'm done for!
                        You are getting local knowledge here, but not in the right place.
                        Let's recount the clues given so far:
                        #3242: Tropical. (Obvious)
                        #3245: Not Batam.
                        #3247: In Maritime S.E.Asia
                        #3249: Not in S.America
                        #3250: Not East Indonesia, Timor, Papua, PNG
                        #3252: Widen search to more than one country. (Indonesia)
                        #3256: Handrail is on pier used by Offshore vessels. (Many pix from there)
                        #3258: "Jetty" is key word.
                        #3260: Even Tungkal is too far from Batam. (Narrows down the area)
                        #3262: Batam OUT. Surroundings IN.
                        #3264: Not Labuan. Discount Batam but not neighbouring countries.

More clues??? There is at least one picture showing the handrail very clearly in an Offshore thread. (I may even have posted this picture in the This is .... threads some time ago. (Not sure)

Comment

OK, Ombugge, never say die...... don't give up...... courage, le diable est mort and similar exhortations! .
                          I owe you an apology. I was dreaming away about exploring Singapore with its maritime interests and you gave me a very courteous response, which I did not thank you for. I do so now for it is very tempting and I have to think about it.
                          Ivy

Comment

Puzzling, Puzzling.

Another try.

Are we at Layang Offshore Supply Base, Singapore?
                            Does the railing belong to a place which can be seen from "the jetty view"?

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explo...esc&user=52959
                            Last edited by Ralf__; November 22nd, 2012, 13:48.
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Yes, I had to break off this morning to get some things done because a chappie was coming to change my electricity meter, so I've been without power for a bit. Just returned to the chase and although I dismissed Loyang base yesterday because the surroundings seemed nothing like the puzzle picture, I thought last thing this morning that #665, 666 and particularly 667 on the Offshore thread point to Loyang. Have just booted up again, but meanwhile Ralf has got there first! Sure he's right, though.
                              Ivy

Comment

It took a long time to realize that I could even post a puzzle from Singapore.
                                Yes, Loyang Offshore Base, Singapore it is and the now famous (or should I say infamous??) handrail can be clearly seen in picture 667/3.
                                But even more, the scenery in the puzzle picture can be seen in 665/2

I had prepared this picture from Loyang as the ultimate clue:

But that will not be needed now.

The significance of the steel Handrail??
                                If this was in Indonesia or Malaysia the handrail would either be non-existent, or bent and broken.

A bit of an anecdote about Loyang Base;
                                Trying to get a taxi to come to the Jetty Gate (seen in the above picture) is forever a problem.
                                Calling the Operator and asking for a taxi to Loyang Jetty gate, they will inveribly ask; "Jetty Walk or Jetty Drive, Sir??".
                                - No, the Jetty GATE.
                                "We don't have a Jetty Gate, is it Jetty Walk or Jetty Drive????"
                                - Just tell the driver Jetty Gate.
                                We have to have an address, SIR???

After a round or two of this the taxi driver will receive the pick-up address as "7, Jetty Drive", which is the only office building there.
                                The taxi will then stand outside that building, while I'm standing at the gate, waiving my arms frantically.
                                Eventually I have to walk there, or he will call me to find out why I haven't showed up yet. (My H/P# will show on his screen)
                                This has happened to me numerous times.
                                Can't you get them to re-program their system to include Jetty Gate??
                                No, that is a different department.
                                Last edited by ombugge; November 22nd, 2012, 18:27.

Comment

Working...
                                X