• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Ombugge.
    Do you have a hint?
    Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
      Ombugge.
      Do you have a hint?
      It is somewhere tropical, but then that may be obvious.

Comment

Is it in south America?
        (I'm trying! ).
        MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
        Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
        My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Ombugge, I don't think you saw my post at #3240 two days ago (very soon after you had placed the puzzle pic.) with my suggestion of a place.
          Last edited by wherrygirl; November 13th, 2012, 21:26.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
            OK, might as well make a fool of myself - are we in Batam, even Sekupang? (It's just that the trees look familiar. )
            Oooops, I did miss that one.
            No it is not on Batam, but the vegetation is very much the same at this place.

Comment

Well, am I roughly in the right area, called Maritime S.E. Asia in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Asia plus East Timor and Papua new Guinea?

Note: Sarnia also has a query at #3243

( Are you still slurping your way through those birthday bottles?
              Ivy

Comment

Well, am I roughly in the right area, called Maritime S.E. Asia in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Asia plus East Timor and Papua new Guinea?

Note: Sarnia also has a query at #3243

( Are you still slurping your way through those birthday bottles?
                You are right, it is within "Maritime" S.E.Asia, which covers an awful lot of the world.

As for slurping on birthday bottles; NO, I'm working until late every day.

To narrow it down, you were close with your first guess of Batam.
                Now what more can I do to avoid the frying pan treatment??? (Again)

Comment

He's a dear, really. (I suppose)
                  Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by Sarnia View Post
                    Is it in south America?
                    (I'm trying! ).
                    No, very far from South America this time.

Comment

No takers yet???
                      What more can I say. You have eliminated South America and established that it is somewhere in S.E.Asia and with "maritime" in this context I assume you mean islands.
                      I therefore confirm that it is NOT on mainland Asia, but not too far from Batam. (That eliminate East Indonesia, with East Timor, Papua and PNG)

Comment

I've been all round Bintan, Rempang, Bulan, Combol, Galong various Pulau ....... and so many islands but although no doubt there is something strikingly significant in your photo, Ombugge, I cannot find it, let alone match it. Any clue?
                        Ivy

Comment

I've been all round Bintan, Rempang, Bulan, Combol, Galong various Pulau ....... and so many islands but although no doubt there is something strikingly significant in your photo, Ombugge, I cannot find it, let alone match it. Any clue?
                          Well, maybe widen your search to more than one country.

PS> the fact that there is a steel hand raiil in the picture may even be a "significant" clue.
                          Last edited by ombugge; November 17th, 2012, 17:09.

Comment

Ah, thanks. I kept looking at that rail but couldn't decide -cane, wood or metal.
                            Ivy

Comment

The significant rail stops me falling in to the water. Yes. It has a pole painted in black and white or at least dark and light sections. Could be on a fisherman's hut standing on stilts in the water, rather run-down accomodation, a moored boat, a small jetty. But each one of these could be anywhere in the area that I am searching.
                              It seems to be on a river, or very sheltered inlet. Again, there are a fair number of those about in the area!
                              It's no good, can we have either a companion photo or a clue. Even both????? Please. Or I shall jump over that rail, never to be seen again......
                              Ivy

Comment

My guess is that the steel handrail is connected to Ombugge's line of work, possibly some barge or platform connected with the drilling industry.
                                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Working...
                                X