Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      Might we be in North Cornwall?
      No, not North Cornwall, Ivy.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

To me it looks like an exhibition which can be found at a church wall, when they show all the old plates they found during a restauration. Is that here also the case?
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

That's what I thought, Ralf. I suggested north Cornwall because that wall seems to be of slate or shale. But there are so many places that fit the two criteria of rock and Celtic inscriptions!
          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
            To me it looks like an exhibition which can be found at a church wall, when they show all the old plates they found during a restauration. Is that here also the case?
            Yes Ralf, you are certainly onto the right idea. These are situated in the grounds of a church.

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
            That's what I thought, Ralf. I suggested north Cornwall because that wall seems to be of slate or shale. But there are so many places that fit the two criteria of rock and Celtic inscriptions!
            There is a very strong Celtic history connected to this particular site, Ivy. The churchyard used to be the site of a Celtic monastery.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I was searching a while, but obviously i am running out of fitting keywords.
              I have no idea what else to look for.
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

A slightly wider view for you. Hopefully this will help a little.

Photo from the 'Manx Scenes Archives' website.
                Last edited by Steve.B; November 8th, 2012, 14:21.

Comment

And an aerial view that probably gives a little bit too much away.

Comment

Just for the avoidance of doubt Steve, can we confirm that we're in England (or at least one of the ancient kingdoms that make up the current boundaries of the country?).
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                      Just for the avoidance of doubt Steve, can we confirm that we're in England (or at least one of the ancient kingdoms that make up the current boundaries of the country?).
                      No, we are not in England with this one, Mark. A current map showing the boundaries of England will not include this place.

Comment

If not England, maybe Ireland then?
                        MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
                        Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
                        My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                          No, we are not in England with this one, Mark. A current map showing the boundaries of England will not include this place.
                          Isle of Man????????????? (That should do to make 20)

Comment

Congratulations ombugge. I was scaning the Hebrides up north when you found the right island.

Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Spot on the pair of you, Maughold Church on the Isle of Man is the correct location.

The church yard contains over 40 crosses, many dating back to the 6th century.

Many of the 44 crosses at Kirk Maughold parish church are Celtic and some reveal the names of the priests and bishops from the former monastery.

You’ll also find some Norse crosses which show scenes from the story of Sigurd the Dragon Slayer. The integration between the Vikings and Celts in the Isle of Man is also depicted by stone memorials which have been carved with runic inscriptions recording both Scandinavian and native Gaelic names.
                              http://www.visitisleofman.com/places...onecrosses.xml

When it comes to the sovereignty of the island, the Isle of Man boasts quiet a complicated and interesting history. To much for me to put here, but the wiki page is well worth reading. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man

So it's now back to either Oistein or Ombugge. I wonder where we will end up with the next puzzle?

Comment

Well done, both of you. I'd moved out of England and was thinking Wales, Scotland and Ireland/Eire. But the Isle of Man never crossed my mind, too many other islands to get lost in!
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X