Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
    Oh, thanks so much, Ralf - I don't know about the others but I had more or less given up though I found many interesting places on the way! Now, following the URL's you have given and bearing in mind the extra information you've supplied, it was all worth the struggle!
    Congratulation Ralf!!!! This is only the second puzzle that never got solved, if I remember right.
    I had little time to look at this one, but I did try a few search words, with not much luck.

As for the new one from Ivy, it is distinctly tropical and what looks like an old colonial graveyard.
    I'll venture a guess off the cuff; Sri Lanka (Ceylon)??
    Last edited by ombugge; October 31st, 2012, 10:12.

Comment

I should lose that particular cuff a.s.a.p., Ombugge. I'm afraid that although tropical it is neither Sri Lanka nor a colonial graveyard.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I can read no signs or letters on the stones and the plants to me also looked tropical. So i am also lost with my first guesses.
        We have been on Malta with Ivy several times but something tells me, it is not Malta this time, is it?
        Is there a famous person buried on this graveyard? An explorer or pirate?
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Something tells you correctly, Ralf - not Malta. How do I answer your last two questions??? There is no famous person buried here so far as I can establish, but pirates - keep going!
          Ivy

Comment

Other side of the Atlantic? Caribbean?
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Or on second thoughts the other side of the world.

Madagascar. The Pirate Cemetery on Ile Ste Marie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pi...Madagascar.jpg

That was absolutely down to Ralf!! I take no credit for anything other than typing Pirate and Graveyard into Google and only looking at images.
              Last edited by PoloUK; October 31st, 2012, 21:37.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

You just have no idea how reluctant I was to admit to the pirate, Mark. I knew it was then only a matter of minutes. Ralf, what made you hit on that as a possible alternative to explorers? I'd love to know.
                There is more detailed info. at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Madagascar if you scroll well down the page.
                So over to Mark.
                Ivy

Comment

Well, really it should be Ralf's puzzle, 'cos he solved the hard bit on the last one, but since I chickened out last time I'll have a go.

As usual probably a bit easy - I'm a bit soft when it comes to choosing these!

What place is this? (Or indeed what plates is this?).

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Another off the cuff guess to start this off; a handycraft center or some such, somewhere in Norway? Gudbrandsdalen maybe????

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                      Another off the cuff guess to start this off; a handycraft center or some such, somewhere in Norway? Gudbrandsdalen maybe????
                      You've got a lot of cuffs to choose from Ombugge.

In answer to your questions: (1) Sort of (2) yep and (3) no.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I think Ombugge's done the hard work here. Could we be at http://lysgaard.no/?
                        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                          I think Ombugge's done the hard work here. Could we be at http://lysgaard.no/?
                          Absolutely Steve! Well done. The architecture leads us to the country quite quickly, but finding Røros and Lysgaard takes a little longer.

We stayed in Røros this summer on the way from the Swedish bit of our holiday to the Norwegian bit, Ålesund, Hurtigruter and Cruise Boats!!

Lysgaard's ceramics are beautiful - especially the colours, as you can see from the photo - although £27 for a mug seemed a little excessive even by Norwegian standards.

Over to you.
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Steve's reappeared! Well done, Steve. I was roaming vaguely about all over Norway, wondering where on earth to try next!
                            Set us a good one....
                            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                              Ralf, what made you hit on that as a possible alternative to explorers? I'd love to know.
                              That was a not so funny coincidence. I was just thinking about this puzzle while i heard some more news of the Bounty tragedy in the radio.

But i had to laugh out loud on your solution, Mark. I would have never expected that it would have been so easy!!!
                              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Per usual, it takes longer to find a puzzle than to solve one. But i have something, bet it does not last the day!

Which Place is This?

Photo - James Stringer - From his Flickr album.
                                Last edited by Steve.B; November 8th, 2012, 14:18. Reason: Adding photo credit.
                                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Working...
                                X