Comment

Re: What place is this?

I think these may be carpenter's tools.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Ivy, you are right, but mainly they made farmer tools, many of these tools with blades are for the treatment of hay. Another important product was a branking shoe for hay tumbrels (not shown on this picture). The material they worked with is iron in this mill...
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

So we have a blacksmiths that uses water to power some of the equipment, and it is in an open air museum. So, is this museum situated in a craft village?, and does the water power more than just the blacksmiths? Are there other traditional crafts being powered by the waterwheel?
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally the waterwheel powered via a huge shaft only two older hammers. Later this was improved and a sterling turbine was installed. This is now powering various machines with transmission belts like this hammer of "younger" age, some drilling and sawing machines and a "generator is generating" electric power for the lamps. The air for the forge is produced in this mill by a second waterwheel and turbine some meters below (at about the place the third picture was taken) and blowed through a long tube into the fire. The creek has too less water to give enough power on one wheel, so they need two separate wheels on different places here. The creek is dammed up above the mill as water storage and a weir can be opened with a "remote control" near the water wheel. This is naturally a long wire rope hoist.
            On the area you can see also an oil mill (for vegetable oils), which is powered by a steam or diesel engine. But this was installed later, to make this museum more attractive.
            The mill stands alone, but was a long time belonging to a museum village nearby. Since some years however they are independent now and on each first sunday of the month you can see them working. The blacksmith is producing a fire hook there as example and my daughter was so lucky to stand next to him when it was ready. So she received it as gift and since we have no fireplace she gave it to my father and it is now in his holiday appartment.
            Well, now it is easy, isn't it??
            Last edited by Ralf__; October 17th, 2012, 15:50.

Comment

Oh...er.....ummm-mm-mm - yes, of course, Ralf. Many thanks.
              Ivy

Comment

Wild card: Eisenhammer Dorfchemnitz?

Comment

No. Look more South.

Comment

The wild card was no bad try... the ensemble looks similar. Another hint, we had the visit there during our yearly farm holiday in Hohenlohe. So it is in or nearby this area.

Comment

No more guess, no more suggestions... I see that it is rather difficult, because there are only less informations in the web available. You will find the answer here, let's see if you can find it:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenhammer

Comment

It's not the one in Roth, is it Ralf?
                        Ivy

Comment

No, but you are getting closer now...

Comment

All the time while i was away there was no new suggestion. I must admit that this is a quite hopeless search, since there is nearly no information available in the net. So i will solve it now, to refresh this interesting thread.

The place to find is the "Hammerschmiede Gröningen", seated in Hohenlohe, between the wonderful river valleys of Kocher and Jagst.
                            It is very interesting to see, how the blacksmith, who was at the same time a power engineer and a miller, developed this production along a creek with quite less water. He was such a creative guy. Her even installed a fountain in his garden, which was fed by water out of the storage lake. So, looking out of his workshop window, he could watch the height of the fountain and knew if there was enough water in the lake to continue his work.

There is a brochure available in German, but you can see some more picture of this nice place:
                            http://www.satteldorf.de/fileadmin/pdf/Flyer9.pdf

And here is also a video:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpPER0kHGok

And now that is very seldom: It is a free puzzle now!! Over to anybody who wants to step in.

Comment

Oh, thanks so much, Ralf - I don't know about the others but I had more or less given up though I found many interesting places on the way! Now, following the URL's you have given and bearing in mind the extra information you've supplied, it was all worth the struggle!
                              Ivy

Comment

Well, no-one has yet volunteered a photo, so how about this one? Where might it be?

Photographer:JialiangGao
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; November 3rd, 2012, 00:48. Reason: Attributed photograph
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X