What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Of course it is. And i never thought, that there would be so many...

It is Le Hangar à Dirigeables in Ecausseville near Montebourg, Caen, Normandy!

http://www.airetcolonnes.com/fr/real...colonnes18.htm
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ah Ivy, you have beaten me!

Over to you!
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Whoooa, that did not last long.
        Now we are in for a Ivy surprise from who knows where???
        Bring it on!!!

Comment

Bravo Ivy.
          This hangar built in 1917-1919 is the larger one with concrete structure.It is now a Historic Monument since 2003.
          Here is model scale with its door.

Comment

That was an unusual one, Yves, thank you. As Ralf said, it's surprising how many there are.

Ombugge said "Bring it on". OK, 'ere 'tis:
            But what is it? And where?

photographer Patrick Gruben
            Last edited by wherrygirl; September 29th, 2012, 10:55. Reason: Attributed photograph
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
              Ombugge said "Bring it on". OK, 'ere 'tis:
              Ombugge, never again utter those words to Ivy. Now look what we've got!

Okay Ivy, I shall start to ask questions. Is this building a preserved building of importance of some kind, rather than a building that is still in daily use today? I ask because the ground around it looks to be very neat. A covering of stones that does not appear to cover the ground outside the area of this buildings boundaries. I also cannot see any obvious path worn in that covering of stones that would indicate the building was in daily use.
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Looks like there is a pipe at one side. (or cable???) Is it a Cistern of some sort?

Whatever it is, we are in a very dry area. We must be in a mountainous part of a desert area.
                It appears to be another mountain top, or on a plateau or ledge.
                The building material being stones, not mud bricks, so we are not in the Sahel.
                If it is a cistern there must be a populated place near by, or a watering place on a caravan route.
                If that is an electric cable seen there, it must also be somewhere with a population near by.
                My guess; somewhere in the Sahara, but not were sand dunes prevail.

Comment

Could the circular shape around the building be a threshing floor?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                    Is this building a preserved building of importance of some kind, rather than a building that is still in daily use today? I ask because the ground around it looks to be very neat. A covering of stones that does not appear to cover the ground outside the area of this buildings boundaries. I also cannot see any obvious path worn in that covering of stones that would indicate the building was in daily use.
                    Spot on ,Steve.

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    Looks like there is a pipe at one side. (or cable???) Is it a Cistern of some sort?
                    The building is not a cistern (see Steve's question above) but so far I've not been able to find out what the pipe is. I did see another photo of an area nearby which showed a shallow gully for draining surface water, so my wild guess is that the pipe is possibly to drain water off the roof. Either way, it's not going to help you.

Whatever it is, we are in a very dry area. We must be in a mountainous part of a desert area.
                    Correct

It appears to be another mountain top, or on a plateau or ledge.
                    Plateau, yes
                    The building material being stones, not mud bricks, so we are not in the Sahel.
                    Correct

If it is a cistern there must be a populated place near by, or a watering place on a caravan route.
                    There are a very few buildings nearby, but it's not a watering place.

If that is an electric cable seen there, it must also be somewhere with a population near by.
                    Very few people, and I'm sure it's not an electric cable!

My guess; somewhere in the Sahara, but not were sand dunes prevail.
                    Correct

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                    Could the circular shape around the building be a threshing floor?
                    No Yves, I'm afraid you're way out.
                    Ivy

Comment

The Yagour Plateau perhaps?
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Is this a Berbers House? It looks very similar to this model...
                        http://monlegionnaire.wordpress.com/...r-style-house/
                        (Scroll down page a little way).
                        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

No, Mark, not the Yagour plateau.
                          Steve, I agree that the model is remarkably like that in your link. But it's not surprising, there are/were Berbers in the area, as there were spread over much of this part of the world.
                          Ivy

Comment

I think i may have found your little Berber type house. Could it be "L'eremo di Père Foucauld"?, which google translates to mean 'The hermitage of Pere Foucauld'.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/24843...=kh.google.com

A Google Earth search of the deserts of Algeria led me to this photo (thankfully not too many photos taken in a dessert, unless there was something to actually take a photo of!). I figured any place of interest in a desert would be accompanied with a group of photo icons.

Comment

Oh excellent, Steve, you soon found that. First in with the idea that it was a preserved building and then in at the end with the answer! There is a bit about him at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_de_Foucauld.
                              two other views are:

[photographer: Albert Backer]

inside
                              [photogapher: Garrondo]

So, now your turn.
                              Last edited by wherrygirl; September 29th, 2012, 10:54. Reason: attributed photos.
                              Ivy

Comment

Without finding that model that i linked to, i would not have stood a chance of finding it so quickly, the info on that page narrowed my search area down considerably. I just looked over Algeria from a height of 550 miles on G/E, very few photos show up at that range - except of course, places of interest. And this place of interest even had one of those larger photo icons just willing me to click on it. Could not see the building in the first few photos, but the terrain matched perfectly, so i dug around a bit deeper - Bingo!

Interesting to read that this man started out in the French Army, serving in North Africa, uncanny because if you go back to that link containing the model building, that website had a strong French Army theme to it.

A tragic end to this man's life though. A pointless killing.

So, i have done the enjoyable bit, now to the not so enjoyable bit, finding something for all of you to puzzle over!

I shall see what i can find..........

Comment

Working...
                                X