Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
    No Yves. Ombugge said and I agreed - take your pick.
    Most people doesn't think of Venezuela as and Andean state so, knowing the devious mind of the poster, I guess that is where we need to look.
    I'll go searching for a school with a mural in the Venezuelan Andes.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      knowing the devious mind of the poster, I guess that is where we need to look.
      Uh-oh - sounds like the frying pan's coming out of the cupboard!!
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        Uh-oh - sounds like the frying pan's coming out of the cupboard!!
        I know. I better wear my hard hat.

Got side tracked, now I go looking for that school or whatever in Venezuela.

Comment

I think is is the University of the Andes in Merida, Venezuela.
          I did not find an exact match, but a mural and building that looked very similar. To be specific;the faculty of Architecture.
          (Photobucket refused to let me load it down though)

If that is right I'll show you what I found when Photobucket makes it possible.

By the way, when it comes to placing puzzles on CVF, to be "devious" is a term of endearment and praising of the poster.
          (Can I take off my hardhat now???)
          Last edited by ombugge; September 15th, 2012, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            I think is is the University of the Andes in Merida, Venezuela.
            I did not find an exact match, but a mural and building that looked very similar. To be specific;the faculty of Architecture.
            (Photobucket refused to let me load it down though)

If that is right I'll show you what I found when Photobucket makes it possible.
            Spot on, Ombugge, well done, and good investigative work at the beginning, too. The city of Merida is on a tableland in the valley of the river Chama, in the middle of the Venezuelan Andes. The Universidad de Los Andes, established in 1785, is the second oldest in the country and has about a dozen faculties in Merida. The photo is indeed that of the Faculty of Architecture and Design.
            Try as I might, I have not been able to date the building, though obviously it is quite modern. According to the information attached to the photograph the mural is by a Venezuelan artist called Zapata. I found two such men, and I think it must be Edgar Yanuz Zapata - he was a professor at the Universidad de Los Andes for 11 years so it seems reasonable that he would have created the mural.

By the way, when it comes to placing puzzles on CVF, to be "devious" is a term of endearment and praising of the poster.
            (Can I take off my hardhat now???)
            Oh, Ombugge, I didn't know you cared.... (blissful sigh....)
            Yes, take the hard hat off, crafty devil, and go and find the next picture for us.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Photobucket has decided to co-operate again.
              Here is the picture I found, once I put University into the search box in place of School or collage and whatever else I could think of:

During the search I came across pictures of Andean roads that put Trollstigen to shame:

The above is from the Yungas Road in Bolivia, known as the most dangerous road in the world, for a good reason.
              Here is a list of the 10 most dangerous roads in the world, at least in some peoples opinion: http://www.oddee.com/item_96660.aspx
              (Trollstigen has got on it, although there haven't been many fatal accidents there, as far as I know)

This is the road between Chile and Argentina in the southern Andes mountains:

Not in the Venezuelan Andes though, but this famous waterfall is in Venezuela:

Just one question; where does the water come from since it looks like the waterfall originate at the top of a mountain? (At least in this picture)
              Last edited by ombugge; September 16th, 2012, 06:47. Reason: Add Text

Comment

There is a rather lengthy account by a photographer at http://www.airpano.com/360Degree-Vir...fall-Venezuela in which he says that there are several waterfalls originating in the Tepui mountain formation, of which Angel Falls is the most famous one, being the highest in the world. The mountains have almost vertical faces and very flat tops, the whole being surrounded by dense jungle. Rainfall collects on the mountain tops, varying in amount according to season, so that the falls are sometimes a trickle, somtimes a torrent.
                Ivy

Comment

OK, my turn.

Here is the sunrise as seen from a mountain top:

But which one???

Not much to go by??? Here is another view, taken from the same mountain top later in the day:

Still not enough clues???
                  Here is the route taken to reach the top:

Just in case you wondered; No, it is not my foot print you see on the last one.

Comment

Still not enough clues???
                    Here is the route taken to reach the top:

Just in case you wondered; No, it is not my foot print you see on the last one.[/QUOTE]

However,it looks like !
                    Yves.

Comment

A try for begening: are we in New Zeland?

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                        A try for begening: are we in New Zeland?
                        No, not NZ, but good try.

Comment

In that case I suggest Tasmania, and the mountain Frenchman's Cap in the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park.
                          Ivy

Comment

Hi Ivy.
                            Just before having a look to your last post I was searching around Australia and Tasmania.I saw pics of Cradle Mountain witch shapes could be a clue.Waiting for Ombugge's answer.

Comment

Yes, Yves, I've just been looking at that since my last post. Tricky, isn't it? Must go now, anyway and I doubt I'll have time to try again for a while. Let's see what happens!
                              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                                Hi Ivy.
                                Just before having a look to your last post I was searching around Australia and Tasmania.I saw pics of Cradle Mountain witch shapes could be a clue.Waiting for Ombugge's answer.
                                Sorry, you are "barking up the wrong mountain", if a may twist an old saying at little.
                                You need to aim higher.

Comment

Working...
                                X