Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
    I too am up to my neck!! How do you feel about rescuing me by posting another excellent puzzle like your last one Ivy?
    Cor......!! That's cheating, but OK. (Flattery gets you everywhere.....)
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Sorry, folks, picturepush is having a fit. Will try again in 5 minutes, if not then early tomorrow. Eee -it's a good one, I'll give it a day!
      Ivy

Comment

I'm posting a different pic. as I think the other was a bit too tricky.
        Where is this one?

Photograph by Venex_jpb
        Last edited by wherrygirl; September 15th, 2012, 20:22. Reason: Added attribution
        Ivy

Comment

O.K., what do we see?

The building seems to be inspired by the architecture style of James Stirling, we see very similar colours and shapes. Because auf material and windows i would estimate the age of the building about 15-25 years, means it was built in the 90ies.

The two buildings are related together, the back of the first looks with balconies very similar to the front of the second.

The purpose of the balcony building looks like appartments, while the front windows look like bigger rooms. Related together, it could be a hospital, a college, or an old peoples home?

We have large trees round the houses, but a bleak hill in the back, which is covered in white clouds. So i guess we are near the sea, in a more Northern place.

At this point i see no specific relation to the painture at the wall, maybe this could be a second or third step, after finding out the location and purpose of the building.

So what can you confirm, Ivy?
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ralf, some right, some wrong, some don't know!
            I have tried hard to find when this building was erected, but to no avail so far. Ditto architect. Yes, the two buildings are related, and you are on the right track with college. But it is neither near the sea nor "in a more Northern place".
            There seems to be a connection between the painting on the wall and the building, though a fairly mundane one, in fact one to be expected.
            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
              Ralf, some right, some wrong, some don't know!
              I have tried hard to find when this building was erected, but to no avail so far. Ditto architect. Yes, the two buildings are related, and you are on the right track with college. But it is neither near the sea nor "in a more Northern place".
              There seems to be a connection between the painting on the wall and the building, though a fairly mundane one, in fact one to be expected.
              I thought about former Edda hotels in Iceland (college in winter hotel in summer) but your answer to Ralf seems indicate I'm wrong.
              Anyway nice to communicate again with you,Ivy.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                Anyway nice to communicate again with you,Ivy.
                Thank you, Yves. ....
                Ivy

Comment

The one and only tree seen in the picture may indicate that we are in the South rather than North and the bare hill behind indicate that we may be at high altitude.
                  My guess is somewhere in Chile???

Comment

Chile, no, but your other two thoughts are correct, Ombugge.
                    Ivy

Comment

A school for girls in Peru or Bolivia ?

Comment

Now why for girls, Yves??? Sounds as if you on the track of something. But turn aside, wrong track, also neither Peru nor Bolivia.
                        Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                          Now why for girls, Yves??? Sounds as if you on the track of something. But turn aside, wrong track, also neither Peru nor Bolivia.
                          OK, since my guess on South America appears to be "approved" and it is not in Chile, Bolivia or Peru that leaves just a few countries to chose from.
                          I don't think it is Argentina since the mural on the wall appears to be of an indigenous person. (The Spanish colonizers didn't leave many of those alive in Argentina)

I think we are in the Andes as other mountain chains in South America doesn't reach up to the altitude where this appears to be.
                          So we have to move to the northern end of the Andes, which leaves Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela. Now, take your pick.
                          Last edited by ombugge; September 14th, 2012, 12:01.

Comment

Yep, take your pick.
                            Ivy

Comment

Further North why not Mexico? the wall design looks like mural paintings from there.

Comment

No Yves. Ombugge said
                                which leaves Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela. Now, take your pick.
                                and I agreed - take your pick.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X