What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Now let me think.............. Okay, enough thinking. Thijs, i strongly believe that you were on Autobahn/Motorway 48, approximately 50 miles south east of Cologne. On your right you were just passing Weiterersburg, and in front of you are the towns of Bendorf and Engers.

Just about here?
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Well done Steve! I had got as far as thinking that we were further inland, but Ombugge's Dusseldorf reference made me uncertain (although it is only 40km difference). Look forward to your next puzzle - or Ombugge's if he chooses to post the one following my 'too easy' Hong Kong puzzle.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        Well done Steve! I had got as far as thinking that we were further inland, but Ombugge's Dusseldorf reference made me uncertain (although it is only 40km difference). Look forward to your next puzzle - or Ombugge's if he chooses to post the one following my 'too easy' Hong Kong puzzle.
        I just concluded that it was likely to be up river from Dusseldorf, since the height of the bridge would not allow seagoing ships to pass. That narrowed it down a bit, but I had no time for further research.

No, I have no suitable picture ready and little time to look for one. (Next load-out coming up later this week)

Comment

Thijs more or less confirmed Ombugge's guess that we were on the Rhine, after that i paid attention to the bridge in the distance - brick arches and a steel central span, soon found a likely match, google earth then provided the rest.

So, i hope i am correct with my guess, if not i will be jumping the gun by posting this. Thijs, please confirm my guess.

Which place is this?

Photo credit - Andrew Bowden, from his set on flickr.
          Last edited by Steve.B; September 10th, 2012, 20:36.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
            Thijs more or less confirmed Ombugge's guess that we were on the Rhine, after that i paid attention to the bridge in the distance - brick arches and a steel central span, soon found a likely match, google earth then provided the rest.

So, i hope i am correct with my guess, if not i will be jumping the gun by posting this. Thijs, please confirm my guess.

Which place is this?
            Hmmm - somewhere pretty and alpine. Recently resignalled, overhead traction, junction, rack just starting on the line on the right.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

By the signal types, are we in Switzerland?
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                By the signal types, are we in Switzerland?
                Yep - in fact it's Grindelwald isn't it. The main line to Interlaken is coming up in front of us (the A signifying the start / end of the rack section), and the Wengernalpbahn (leading up to Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfrau) line is diving away to the left. Hotel Belvedere I believe just to the left of the main line.

Gosh I'm going to look daft if that's wrong!
                Last edited by PoloUK; September 10th, 2012, 18:50.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                  Now let me think.............. Okay, enough thinking. Thijs, i strongly believe that you were on Autobahn/Motorway 48, approximately 50 miles south east of Cologne. On your right you were just passing Weiterersburg, and in front of you are the towns of Bendorf and Engers.

Just about here?
                  your're right Steve,and even on the spot.

right below corner is the city Koblenz,and the big clue was that in the fog just a little out of GE is a nucliair plant.

this highway connects the highway's A61 and the A3 to eachother the A3 to Frankfurt ,the A61 to Hockenheim,(at the end of the A61 you drive right on the race track)Basel (swiss),or to Ralfs Stuttgart.

but from the dutch border at Venlo we drove over the A61 to the A48 to the A3 when we go to Frankfurt or futher.
                  in this way we avoid the traffic jams around Cologne

but this point at the puzzle was many many many years (1985) ago,i was just a few monts a driver,
                  and the first time i came over this point in the summer it was a clear sky the sun over the rhine,the green hills.
                  my first reaction, WOOOOOW.
                  now the trees and bushes near the highway are big,you don't see that much anymore (into direction Koblenz),
                  and the 3 times, since i stop with the international trips (1991) that i drove there it was under bad conditions.(winter)
                  but when i'm there i still want a sunny sky so i can make that WOOOW image
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

Yep - in fact it's Grindelwald isn't it. The main line to Interlaken is coming up in front of us (the A signifying the start / end of the rack section), and the Wengernalpbahn (leading up to Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfrau) line is diving away to the left. Hotel Belvedere I believe just to the left of the main line.

Gosh I'm going to look daft if that's wrong!
                    Your okay Mark, certainly not looking daft, you are of course spot on, Grindewald it is. And below is a photo showing a train on the rack section you mention.

Well, that did not last long! Over to you Mark.

Photo credit - Andrew Bowden, from his set on flickr.

Comment

Well impressed by Ivy's signal-spotting skills!! This one is actually an unusual one, signalled by one of the companies other than the 'big six'. Wonderful place though, happy memories of previous trips staying at Hotel Alpina overlooking the station.

Our Professional Institution is the Institution of Railway Signal Engineers (IRSE) - and a couple of years ago we had a big event in that part of Switzerland. The railway laid on a special train to take two of my colleagues plus 11 PCs worth of simulation system up to Kleine Scheidegg for a demonstration! For some reason, we seem to end up with a lot of technical visits and conventions to that bit of the world!

Re the next puzzle, I think we're back to Ombugge in fact aren't we - if he's finished his reports?
                      Last edited by PoloUK; September 10th, 2012, 20:44.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

That was lucky - Steve unwittingly choosing a place you had actually stayed in!

Well impressed by Ivy's signal-spotting skills!!
                        I don't know the first thing about signalling systems - but Wiki comes up trumps, sometimes.
                        Last edited by wherrygirl; September 10th, 2012, 22:20.
                        Ivy

Comment

With Ivy's growing knowledge of all things railway, and Mark having actually stayed at a hotel overlooking the station, that last one was destined not to last long. And that was before Ralf even got a look in! You know, i probably spent more time finding that picture for the puzzle than it took you lot to solve it.

Comment

Re the next puzzle, I think we're back to Ombugge in fact aren't we - if he's finished his reports?
                            I have finished the reports, but now preparing for a load-out, coming up this week end.

PS> You don't get out of it that easy, it is your turn Mark.

Comment

And let's have a place that almost certainly no-one has been to (Gobi desert, anyone????) and doesn't depend on railway knowledge (I've reached my limit ) or car knowledge or any other technical know-how. They're easy enough to find if you go to the right place. Then we all start on a level playing field.
                              There's a challenge for you, Markie!
                              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                                And let's have a place that almost certainly no-one has been to (Gobi desert, anyone????) and doesn't depend on railway knowledge (I've reached my limit ) or car knowledge or any other technical know-how. They're easy enough to find if you go to the right place. Then we all start on a level playing field.
                                There's a challenge for you, Markie!
                                I too am up to my neck!! How do you feel about rescuing me by posting another excellent puzzle like your last one Ivy?
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X