What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

How on earth to follow that? I'm thinking - and worrying!
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

just for showing you the vessel Mark.
      best regards Thijs

Comment

OK - hopefully this one isn't too easy - I'm usually far too charitable and give you too many clues. I also know that at least one or two of you like the railway pictures, so let's try this one anyway (for a couple of hours).

It's the 1980s and a film crew is using a section of railway track to film a safety video.

But what place is this?

Credits to follow when solved (any minute now).
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

the people looks asians,so i would say to start with,japan ?
          best regards Thijs

Comment

I had no time to research on the last one, but I enjoyed looking in and throw in some not so researched comments once in a while.
            With the benefit of hindsight and with the knowledge that this was one of Thije'es own pictures, it becomes logical that this was not in Africa. Good show Mark!!!

As for this last one I think we are riding on the MTR line in Hong Kong. Somewhere in Kowloon or New Territories??

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
              Beekse Bergen Safari Park?
              Aaaah. Okay....
              The perfect fake!! How long did i travel along the S.A. rivers to find a similar landscape. Great puzzle, Thijs!
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Cunning as a fox,Thijs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                  Aaaah. Okay....
                  The perfect fake!! How long did i travel along the S.A. rivers to find a similar landscape. Great puzzle, Thijs!
                  I think that between all of us we must now be world authorities on S.A. rivers and wild life reserves! It certainly was great. The stupid thing is that I stayed in Tilburg a few years ago and remember seeing adverts. for Beekse Bergen although I never went there. But not for one moment did I even consider it, clinging instead to that S.A. national flag. And you're right, Yves, those cunning hints.......! That'll teach me not to jump to conclusions.
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    As for this last one I think we are riding on the MTR line in Hong Kong. Somewhere in Kowloon or New Territories??
                    Well I could be difficult and say that it's not the MTR, and say that 'somewhere in Hong Kong' precise enough, but I think I'll give in gracefully. This is the Kowloon Canton Railway, running from Hong Kong to Guangzhou. This was electrified in the 1980s (and signalled by Westinghouse - which is why I have the photo) - and as I say, this is a film crew filming a track safety video - close to Kowloon Tong station (the interchange to the Metro) I think. I think that because of the next picture:

(All photos courtesy of Nick T Smith - thanks Nick).

A PanAn 747SP on very short finals into the old Kai Tak airport.

KCR is now operated by MTR and considered to be part of the same network.

Back to Ombugge!!
                    Last edited by PoloUK; September 7th, 2012, 10:28.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Oh heavens, that was quick! Well done, Ombugge.
                      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I came so close to solving both of the last one's, but each time i had to go off and do something else. With Thijs's puzzle i also came to the conclusion that he may be being crafty. So i spent all of 2 minutes searching for Dutch safari parks yesterday morning, i did not see anything immediately so thought i would have a closer look last night. But Mark searched using the correct term Netherlands, obviously that made all the difference. Well done Mark, a well done Thijs for setting that puzzle, lesson learned - never jump to conclusions!

And late last night i was actually using Google's Hong Kong search engine to look for the last puzzle, but again i had to scuttle off to do something else. So close, yet so far!
                        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                          Oh heavens, that was quick! Well done, Ombugge.
                          That was an easy one for me. The shape of the hills, especially with the Satellite Dome on top, is a very familiar sight.
                          In fact I used it to determine the approx. position of the wrack of QE(1) some time back.

The exact position where the picture was taken is pretty close to the border between Kowloon and New Territories, although that is of little importance now.

The picture of the PanAm flight coming in to Kai Tak bring back memories from many landing there, and of living not too far from the end of the runway back in the early 1970's.

On the way to somewhere in China (can't remember where) I landed and took off from Kai Tak on the way up and came back via Chek Lap Kok on the way home.
                          Both airport was chaos due to the moving, which was done within a 24 hour period. Total mayhem, both places.

Back to puzzles. I have five reports to complete before Monday, so if anybody feel the urge, also fell free.

Comment

okay i'll post one.

feeling guilty about that you spent so much time on the ''South Africa in Holland'' puzzle.
                            no tricks this time.

what you see,is what you get.

Last edited by janihudi; September 8th, 2012, 15:44.
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

Somewhere in Germany, along the Rhine. A town with some Petrochemical industry, but also with an old but small town centre and a major bridge crossing.
                              The river is fairly wide and a lot of traffic, so not too far up. Just after Dusseldorf???

Comment

hahahaha,that is already 80% solved.

after Dusseldorf,which side after Dusseldorf?

i'll wait with my important clue
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X