What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

I keep looking at that second photo. The top bits of stone leaning against the bit of wood interest me. One thought is we could be looking at some sort of ground stone tool production?
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

(...)
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I think that Mark may be correct with his earlier comment about stone balls?
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
          I think that Mark may be correct with his earlier comment about stone balls?
          Cannon Balls made of stone was "popular" a few centuries ago. Does that mean this is a remnant of Cannon Ball production from back then???
          I assume that they are more decorative these days??
          Still doesn't tell me where though.

Comment

Is there a link with lapiderary activity ?
            I remember a lapiderary in Jura (east of France) who told me that in the old days they used water energy to work the semi-precious stones or gem.

Comment

Only an idea:are the wheels used to operate a sorting out?

Comment

Have a look at this link, the text below the image translates into something like this.....
                Germany's only still in operation ball mill Almbachklamm; preferred spheres of Untersberg marble produced
                http://lexikon.freenet.de/Datei:Kuge...mbachklamm.JPG

?????

Comment

Maybe Ralf knows of another mill in Germany still producing balls this way, because i cannot match the above place with his photos.

Comment

Thanks heaven!!! You did it!
                    This one had everybody walking up the wall.
                    Ralf have been VERY cagey here though. "Base material" in stead of admitting it was stone is a good example.

The Chinese make Rolling Ball Fountains by the thousands and in all sizes, but with more modern machines. (Look at Stone Ball Machines on Alibaba)

PS> You posted while I was still typing. I don't CARE where it is, as long as we know what the h.... this thing is making!!!
                    Last edited by ombugge; August 31st, 2012, 17:44. Reason: Add PS

Comment

Yes!!! You found out the right purpose.
                      But it is not the right mill. The information "Germanies only" is not correct.
                      You can find it in the web.
                      Come on! One short step still!

Good work up to now. All of you!!

Comment

Well searching in google.de for Kuglemühle shows that there are plenty of them around.

This one doesn't have the flood defences in Ralf's picture - but this could be it:

http://www.google.de/imgres?q=kugelm...r:0,s:18,i:143

http://www.kugelmuehle-neidlingen.de/39994.html

Is it Neidlingen Ralf? (Just behind the town hall!).
                        Last edited by PoloUK; August 31st, 2012, 19:55.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I think you have it Mark, all looks very similar, even down to the square concrete block to the right of the gulley.

I found this one fascinating, i never knew that these balls were traditionally made in this fashion. Looking at it now, the whole thing seemed so obvious from the start. So simple, yet so elusive! Fantastic puzzle Ralf!

Comment

I agree with Steve, this must surely be right - very well done, Mark. It really got me absolutely floored.
                            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Very well done Mark. You nailed it. The bar is in fact the latest invention of the miller and cannot be found on the pictures in the web. He just didn't want anymore to climb into the river at high water to save his mills and balls. So now the bars function like a door, which is pressing the mills to the banks of the river, so he can remove it outside the strongest current.

Mark, while you have the interesting task to search the next puzzle, i will step into my office tomorrow and post some more pictures and a video of this fascinating operation.

Thank you all for joining this puzzle, it was such a thrilling week checking hour for hour what you were suggesting. And all my apologizes to Ombugge for not confirming cleary the material just in the first step. Mark however did follow this path and i confirmed it shortly after. I just couldn't resist to let this game going on. A lot of my friends were following your steps also, wondering, when you would be reaching the right track.

Perfect work by all of you. And all except Mark may lean back proudly and wait for the next thrilling game. And it will be also thrilling, just like the puzzle of the train station in Luxembourg for example....

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                                i will step into my office tomorrow and post some more pictures and a video of this fascinating operation.
                                That i am looking forward to! Will be very interesting to watch. I am also wondering how long the milling process takes before you get the finished balls? I guess that will depend on the type of stone being used. Once again, a very enjoyable puzzle Ralf, even though it did have us all climbing the walls!

Comment

Working...
                                X