What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Yes, having had to discount milling grain of any sort, whether before or after de-husking, these few days I've learnt an awful lot about the preparation of leather for tanning and the fulling of woollen material, but they all need to have the wheels drive some "machinery", however basic, unless it is simply using water to cleanse the hide or cloth after some processing. That was my thought behind my question at #2938. Ralf states clearly that there is no power transmission.
    Also, Ralf put merely question marks where an attribution would normally be, and I immediately took that to mean that it was his own photo but the rascal wasn't going to let on - he just hoped we'd think it was another photographer and so could be anywhere! That's why I asked about the Czech Rebublic. Got me nowhere, of course, except the rest of the world.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Yes Ivy, it was when Ralf ruled out the Czech Republic that i concentrated on Germany, assuming, rightly or wrongly that it was one of his own photos.

Still no further forward though!
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Thinking about where it is will not help you until you know what it is. Maybe this picture will give you an idea?

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thanks, Ralf. Thanks a lot !!!! As Mark said a while back - my brain hurts!
          Ivy

Comment

Is it a water wheel driven Lathe Machine used to form stone columns for various usage???
            If correct that doesn't solve the puzzle though.
            One direct question: Is it in Germany???

Comment

Also, could you confirm that these water wheels are in no way connected to each other? You say there is no transmission, but you could have meant that there was no transmission of the wheels power to another area. Are these wheels working independently of each other?
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

But Ombugge, Ralf said
                There is no power transmission, you see the complete mill here.
                . So I have discounted any other machine being driven by these water wheels.
                Ivy

Comment

Thrilling, i must say.
                  Yes, these are my own pictures and they are made in Germany.
                  The four wheels work completely independent, without connection. Each wheel is a mill for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                    But Ombugge, Ralf said . So I have discounted any other machine being driven by these water wheels.
                    Ah yes, no other machinery, but i wanted to confirm they were not connected to themselves.

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                    Thrilling, i must say.
                    Yes, these are my own pictures and they are made in Germany.
                    The four wheels work completely independent, without connection. Each wheel is a mill for itself.
                    Thank you Ralf, was just trying to get some idea of the power being generated.

EDIT: Sorry Ivy, ignore my top quote in this post, i mistakenly thought that you had mistakenly mistaken me for Ombugge, but i see now that you were referring to his question about lathes. I now agree with everyone else, my head hurts!
                    Last edited by Steve.B; August 30th, 2012, 13:46. Reason: Correcting a mistake

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                      But Ombugge, Ralf said . So I have discounted any other machine being driven by these water wheels.
                      Yes, but a Vertical Lathe (or Milling) Machine, does not involve power transmission per se, only rotating a rough stone column to allow cutting tools to smoothen the column, or cut patterns.
                      The stone column shown on the last picture does shows signs of having been milled, I think.

If all there is is what we can see on the first picture, then the only thing this contraption can "mill" is water.

Comment

The column was not produced by the mill. It is a sort of base material, which will be processed in the mill in a later state of the production chain.

Comment

The two mills that is active is turning in opposite directions, as is the other pair, which is idle.
                          There must be a reason for this and maybe a clue, although I cannot see what it is.(dunno)

Comment

The turning direction of the wheels is opposite to enable equal turning speed at both pairs of the wheels. This ensures stabile production times for each pair of wheels (of course the middle wheels turn faster because of the stronger current).
                            The picture was made in summer with less water, so only the middle wheels are working at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                              The column was not produced by the mill. It is a sort of base material, which will be processed in the mill in a later state of the production chain.
                              Oh heck.............
                              Ivy

Comment

Just trying to summarise:

Ralf's own photo, taken in Germany.
                                Not a toy, used for traditional purposes.
                                Each wheel works independantly and is a mill in itself.
                                The turning direction of each wheel is in opposition to its neighbour to enable the turning speed of both wheels in a pair to be equalised. (Middle wheels turn faster than the outer ones because the current is stronger in the centre.
                                No vertical action (I had suggested pumping)

Not for aerating/hydro generating/milling grain/as a gold mill i.e. extracting heavy elements from the water.
                                Although Ralf did not specifically answer this I assume that it is not for cleansing between stages of the preparation of leather or woollen cloth. Doesn't look big enough for such operations, anyway.

The column was not produced by the mill,
                                It is a sort of base material, which will be processed in the mill in a later state of the production chain.
                                SO.....???? (dunno) (dunno)
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X