What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

...and there is no connection to a hydro generating facility.
    It really has a purpose, it is no toy.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

This is rather intriguing. Working out the purpose of those water wheel type things is going to be a key factor in solving this one i think.

Could they be some way of aerating the water?
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Yes, you can only solve it by finding out the purpose. No aerating, it is a traditional purpose.

Comment

Okay, do they help to extract something from the water? Do they in some way extract heavier elements like gold?
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

... like a gold mill? Nope!
            This in fact looks different:

http://gold-mill.com/

Comment

I was also thinking along the lines of a mill, is it perhaps a grist mill? Also is it in the Czech Republic, they seem to have many mills of various kinds there. Yet I have strong doubts about that line of thought, to be honest.
              Is there any kind of vertical, pumping action going on here? I'm trying to work out the purpose of the horizontal bars attached to a chain at one end and also the axles of 3 of the wheels which seem to revolve within a sleeve. Yet the fourth axle stands free.
              I'm flummoxed!
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Nor grisp is milled here neither some vertical action is going on. Furthermore you won't find it in Czech Republic. The purpose of the bars and their attachment to the wheels does not explain anything about the purpose. It is a very special contruction as flood or high water protection. Don't think about it.

Comment

--- ??? ---

Since nobody has another idea, a short clue: It is a mill.

Comment

OK, it's not a grist mill, so let's go back a stage. Threshing mill?
                    Ivy

Comment

There is no power transmission, you see the complete mill here.
                      So threshing wouldn't work in the water...

Comment

More and more intriguing. My biggest puzzle is that it looks so small. The blades of the wheels seem to be made of 4 or 5 inch timber decking pieces. The water delivery chutes only look to be about 4 inches wide also, so not much power to be gained from each individual wheel. And the blades of the wheel do not look like they have been optimised to recover the optimal energy from the water. I presumed that each wheel was connected by a belt or chain to give a greater output power, but you say there is no transmission of the power? Just what on earth is this thing milling?

Comment

I have also noticed that the two furthest from the camera rotate in the opposite direction to the two nearer the camera. Are these pairs coupled together?

Comment

Search me, Steve.
                            Is it a stage in the preparation of leather or woollen cloth?
                            And we don't know where it is yet. Somewhere in Europe?
                            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                              More and more intriguing. My biggest puzzle is that it looks so small. The blades of the wheels seem to be made of 4 or 5 inch timber decking pieces. The water delivery chutes only look to be about 4 inches wide also, so not much power to be gained from each individual wheel. And the blades of the wheel do not look like they have been optimised to recover the optimal energy from the water. I presumed that each wheel was connected by a belt or chain to give a greater output power, but you say there is no transmission of the power? Just what on earth is this thing milling?
                              I haven't a clue either! Don't know what you can mill that doesn't mind being wet! Like Ivy I was thinking more chemical process type stuff, perhaps fulling.

If Wikipedia is to be believed though, the horizontal or 'greek mills' tend to use very small diameter wheels and millstones, that was the advantage of 'roman mills' with their vertical wheels, just that they had the complexity of having to be linked to what they were driving.

I'm with Ivy - reckon we need to narrow down to a continent first!
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post

I'm with Ivy - reckon we need to narrow down to a continent first!
                                Maybe i have been wrong in assuming that this is one of Ralf's own photos. but that is the assumption i have been working on thus far. Hence i have been concentrating on Germany, and more importantly i have used nothing but Google.de for my searches, and all search questions have been input in the German language. But you two have now got me wondering if i have been running down the wrong path.

I am just going to have to ask - Ralf, are we in Germany with this one?

Comment

Working...
                                X