What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

I am not getting anywhere with the torch symbol, so i will stick with other things in the photo for now.

I have been wondering about this object(s), could this be somesort of signal gantry for a railway? If so, maybe we are at railway freight terminal somewhere?

Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I'll check tomorrow, Steve, to see if there is a railway anywhere nearby. Got to be up early tomorrow, so bed-time now!
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Symbolic flame on a monument. Something high flying like "the flame of life"???

I think the structure Steve pointed out is a "leading light" structure (or whatever they are called) at the end of a runway.
        That should make this a roundabout on a road leading to an Airport, (but not a very busy one by the look of it)
        Somewhere other than in Europe. (That narrows it down a bit)

The vegetation (or lack of it) seen in the picture does not look tropical, or at least not wet tropical, nor is it dessert like.
        No trees to be seen, so either the area has been heavily logged, or trees is not natural in the area.
        Only some bushes to be seen, but they looks like they have been planted.

I think we are somewhere between the dry belt at around 30 degr. north or south and the wet equatorial belt, which put us around 15-20 degr. north or south.

It does not look like S.E.Asia or India, so I think we are in West Africa or Caribbean somewhere. Most likely on an island. ("It is near the coast, but not a ferry port")
        Last edited by ombugge; August 23rd, 2012, 06:20.

Comment

Steve, as I expected but had to check, there are no railways here.

Ombugge, master sleuth! Your "flame of life" is very, very near, almost to the point of having the same meaning. I don't think you need to research this aspect any further.
          The roundabout seems to be right on the perimeter of an airport complex, which is certainly not busy by European standards.
          Vegetation: by the nature of the land is not much. Lack of fuel has also led to deforestation.
          As we have said, not in Europe. Your narrowing down to 15-20 degrees N. or S. is excellent, if you can play with the correct permutation of two of those very precise parameters, then you're nearly there.
          Island: yes.
          West Africa or Caribbean somewhere? Well, for the moment I'll leave it to you to think about. But geographically and politically not part of either.
          Ivy

Comment

The net seems to be closing. But i am still not sure about the torch. Flame of life was one of the routes of investigation i went down last night, along with torch of freedom, leading light, guiding light, light of hope, and a few other similar things. None of those got me anywhere. But, that was without the knowledge that we were outside an airport. So i may retrace my steps a bit.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Steve, flame of hope is spot on.
              Going back to my previous post, by the way, I didn't mean that it was nowhere near either West Africa or the Caribbean, just that I'm leaving it open between those two areas, bearing in mind that it's not part of either.
              Ivy

Comment

BOOOOAAAHHH!

That was hard to crack! Thank to the confirmation of "flame of hope" and that it is on an island, as well as near the airport, i finally solved it.
                Since the "flame of hope" symbolises the Olympic Games i began to check all island states, which participated the games in order to search a monument.

Google picture search did not lead me to any results. Gosh!!
                But this combination sounded so good, that i decided to "start my Twin Otter" and check all airports on Google Earth.

And there we are:
                Aeroporto da Praia, Cape Verdian Islands

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/53532...=kh.google.com

I began already to dream of this monument.
                What a great puzzle, Ivy!!!
                Last edited by Ralf__; August 23rd, 2012, 15:57.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

...and what a fun that the monument is not related to the Olympic Games at all. It is the emigrant monument! So this was big luck!
                  Well, nearly as creative as the solution with the Gitanes smoke!

Comment

Well done Ralf! I was also coming to the conclusion that GE might be the way to solve this puzzle, and i was right, darn, even though i know where it is now, i still cannot get a result on google. So now i know why i was not getting anywhere with my searches last night.

Very good puzzle Ivy, you know it's good when even after the puzzle is solved it is still hard to get a match doing a google search.

So, i wonder what Ralf will have for us, something that will last the weekend i hope, because i am away from tomorrow afternoon until Monday.

Have fun everyone, and enjoy your weekend!

Comment

Congrat to Ralf!!!
                      And to Ivy for a good puzzle!!

Comment

Very well done Ralf, and to you others who steadily narrowed the field of search. I'm surprised that it was solved in as short a time as it was, for when I first posted it I had to admit to myself that it looked a hopeless case, one where I wouldn't have a clue where to start.
                        The Cape Verde islands turn out to be a very interesting area, and previously I knew nothing about them.
                        Charles Darwin called there on his second Beagle journey, see http://www.aboutdarwin.com/voyage/voyage03.html
                        A rather painful Google translation of the speech by Praia's mayor about the symbolism of the memorial is at http://translate.google.com/translat...client%3Dfiref but you can get the idea.
                        http://geography.about.com/library/cia/blccapeverde.htm Facts and figures here about Cape Verde will keep anyone busy for a long time! I note that they speak of the islands as if they were part of Africa, but they were apparently colonised by the Portuguese in the 15th century, gaining independence from that country on 5 July 1975.

The original picture with inscription top right. photographer Xandu.

The inscription is in Crioulo, a creole version of Portuguese, and is by the Cape Verdi poet Eugenio Taverna. It means "If you don't leave, you can't return."
                        Last edited by wherrygirl; August 24th, 2012, 22:24.
                        Ivy

Comment

Now, when Steve is back around here, we have something completely different:

????

Comment

Does these horizontal water wheels do any actual work, or just an educational display??
                            It appears that there are two pairs, each pair turning in opposite direction, as does the two wheels presently active.
                            I guess this is some sort of a museum somewhere in Germany??

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                              Does these horizontal water wheels do any actual work, or just an educational display??
                              It appears that there are two pairs, each pair turning in opposite direction, as does the two wheels presently active.
                              I guess this is some sort of a museum somewhere in Germany??
                              An educational display or children's amusement would also be my first guess. Maybe this is in an area where there is somesort of hydro generating facility, not necessarily on a large scale.
                              Last edited by Steve.B; August 27th, 2012, 14:45.

Comment

They do work. It is no display or museum.

Comment

Working...
                                X