Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
    Hmmm - worrying enough that you're showing an unnatural interest in roundabouts, now you're hanging around secure facilities.

Putting sculptures and memorials in roundabouts is the sort of thing that the French do regularly - are we in France?
    Look at the Bali and Brunei posts and you'll find this is not something you can blame only the French for.

I don't think we are in Europe at all.

Comment

I am trying to decide if the white part is a torch or a face. At first i thought it was the flame of a torch, but looking at it from an art point of view, the left edge of the white bit could be a face. Or maybe i am just seeing things? Either way, water seems to be involved somewhere along the line, the blue tiling must represent water. My first thought was that it was all to do with some past Olympic event, a roundabout near an aquatic centre or seaside place that was involved in the games. But i have drawn a total blank on that idea.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

An interesting mix of thoughts. Ombugge, you are correct in thinking it is not in Europe.
        I like Steve's ruminations on flame and water, very good. I don't think that a torch is involved although the concept of one is, in a way, in line with one of the ideas behind the design, when you think what holding up a torch can signify sometimes. Don't place too much emphasis on it though, in case you interpret my words wrongly. Certainly nothing to do with Olympics in any way, and not a face. There is actually an inscription top right of the sculpture, but of course I obliterated that.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
          That bridge still bugs me though. I also thought railway, and like you i also thought maybe an old mine railway. But even knowing where the puzzle was located, no matter how much i looked i could find no history of any sort of railway. Oh well, a mystery it will remain.
          ...no way. No mystery will remain. Finally i located the position of the bridge on GE.

S 28°39'58,48" E 28°39'07.36"

I you have a look there, you can see that it is just the old road bridge which was replaced by a new one and a dam to have a friendlier niveau for the road and a wider street. You can see the old track still on GE.

No nothing really mysterious and nothing which would have been leading to the solution. But it was an interesting look, because the bridge was obviously designed for heavy loads (probably out of tactical reasons because of the near border to Lesotho?)...
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

You did well to find it GE, Ralf, i also had a look before, to try and find a clue to what it was used for. But i could not even find it! I see it now though. So just an old road after all.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

For the actual puzzle i tried a different way to solve it.
              I checked which countries are marking their kerbs in roundabouts white at the inner circle and black-yellow at the outer one.

This looked somehow promising because all the RHD countries can be erased from that list.

But.... now i see circles everywhere and there is no country using this marking regulary!!

Another dead end street.

Comment

I also looked for kurb marking that colour, i to had no luck. I have only seen them in areas away from main roads, service areas for shops etc. This might explain why this road looks so quiet? The CCTV camera also points me in the same direction, a service or restricted access area. This is not a built up city area, so the cameras must be protecting something. I did think it might have been a prison, but i can see no razor wire on top of the wall. but, i can see at least five cameras, so security must be tight.

Are we on the coast somewhere? I cannot see any buildings or hills in the distance. Is this place looking out over the sea? Could it be the service area for a ferry port? That could also explain the water styled blue tiles on the roundabout.

Comment

O.K. then let's put all things together and solve it.

It is not in Europe but in a LHD country.
                  It is quiet road in a service area.
                  The cameras are protecting something of high value.
                  The monument has something to do with fire.
                  It must be near the sea.

Well there is only one place left:

Imperial Tobacco Maroc
                  87 Rue Ahmed El Figuigui,
                  20 050 Casablanca

Here they store the famous Gitanes Cigarettes.
                  The monument represents the smoke on the package.

And oh - the erased sign on the monument says:

SMOKING KILLS

q.e.d.
                  Last edited by Ralf__; August 22nd, 2012, 16:59.

Comment

Ralf, that is a brilliant piece of deduction! But, looking on google earth at that address, i cannot see any roundabout that could match the puzzle, and that address is in the middle of a very built up area. So maybe a flaw in your deductions somewhere?

Comment

Not meaning to be difficult, but in post 2893 Ivy told us that they drive on the right!!
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                        Not meaning to be difficult, but in post 2893 Ivy told us that they drive on the right!!
                        I totally missed that flaw, was too busy looking at the address on GE.

Comment

...yes, the landscape at the Ukrainian subsidiary fits much better, but Ivy told, it is not in Europe...

Have a look:
                          Imperial Tobacco Ukraine
                          35, Akademika Zabolotnogo St,
                          03026 Kyiv

We say LHD (left hand drive) to a car wich is made to be driven on the right side of the road, don't we??

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post

We say LHD (left hand drive) to a car wich is made to be driven on the right side of the road, don't we??
                            We do indeed.....

Comment

Having fun, boyos?
                              They drive on the right side of the road, so the driver sits in the left seat, i.e. LHD. It can be confusing, I agree, if in haste you overlook what the initials mean. I always have to double check.
                              Steve, you have the right kind of idea when you speak of a service or restricted access area, and not being in a built-up city area.
                              It's not a prison.
                              It's near the coast but not a service area for a ferry port.
                              There's a sort of hill at the right.
                              Ralf, not Imperial Tobacco anywhere, though I loved your reasoning! But there's no smoke here. Language point: be careful about the word "fire", because it can have connotations of danger and that is far from the concept of flame as used in this case. I don't want you to be led astray by the language. If you are thinking along the lines of "something to do with fire" then forget it. Just think symbolic flame, something good.
                              But yet that is only one element in the concept that led to this design.
                              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Oh blimey - my brain hurts.
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X