Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
    No, not the Caucasus Mountains. Too far north with that guess.
    Somewhere in the State of Tamil Nadu, India???

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      Somewhere in the State of Tamil Nadu, India???
      No, nowhere in the state of Tamil Nadu i'm afraid.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Bit of a wild stab - but how about Chechnya or Georgia?
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
          Bit of a wild stab - but how about Chechnya or Georgia?
          Sorry Mark, i refer you back to Ombugge's guess.

Dinosaur eggs!! Are we in the Caucasus Mountains, Chechnya near the Georgian border, where some very large once have been found recently?
          Too far North i am afraid.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Sorry Mark, i refer you back to Ombugge's guess.Too far North i am afraid.
            Oh, sorry - not paying attention!!

Back into my box (or eggshell).
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I think this may be the Golden Gate Highlands National Park, in Free State, South Africa.

PS. See http://www.nightjartravel.com/node?page=165 scroll down to Golden Gate National Park, third photo is a distant viiew of your first picture, taken from the road.
              PPS. See also http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...s-south-africa for news of the dinosaur find in January this year.
              Last edited by wherrygirl; August 17th, 2012, 23:56.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Well done, Ivy, you've cracked it! It is indeed the Golden Gate National Park in Free state South Africa, and spot on with the dinosaur link. The image in your link showing the fossilised remains, was one i was going to use for a clue, but google knew all about that one. So i went for my fictional baby dino in the egg one.

So how did you find your way to the answer, was it via the dinosaur clue?, either way you got there. Back to you!
                Last edited by Steve.B; August 18th, 2012, 00:23.

Comment

It was your dinosaur clue, Steve, without that I was getting nowhere, although as I said I have had so little time to spend on the hunt. But your first photo did intrigue me so much. Ah, sandstone, I thought, but was puzzled by the black streaks and thought that if only I could find out what caused them that may lead me somewhere, plus the disused railway, which I thought may have once been an old mine railway. The trouble was that I couldn't conjure up a combination of words tempting enough to persuade Google to help.
                  Then your egg set me off. Just searching through photos of "dinosaur egg with embryo" eventually led me to the fossilised remains photo and eventually to the first URL I quoted. On the way I discovered that the black streaks were basalt filtering down through the sandstone with the rains. I have just now looked at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drakensberg which gives an interesting account of the geology.
                  This hunt has added to my store of facts about our world that I would probably never have found otherwise. My thanks to you, Steve.
                  Trouble is - I now have to find something as good!!!! Back to the third blade of grass to the right on Bunga.y Common!
                  Last edited by wherrygirl; August 18th, 2012, 10:47.
                  Ivy

Comment

That bridge still bugs me though. I also thought railway, and like you i also thought maybe an old mine railway. But even knowing where the puzzle was located, no matter how much i looked i could find no history of any sort of railway. Oh well, a mystery it will remain.

Comment

No railway in this picture, anyway. But what place is it?

Photographer: Xandu. Note, the inscription top right of the monument was deleted for the purposes of the puzzle. The image as originally taken is here on this thread.
                      Last edited by wherrygirl; August 24th, 2012, 11:30. Reason: Added attribution
                      Ivy

Comment

No sign of any give way lines on the road to the right of the central reservation, so i am going to say that traffic drives on the right in this country?

Comment

No sign of any give way lines on the road to the right of the central reservation, so i am going to say that traffic drives on the right in this country?
                          Yep - and lots of lights and possibly CCTV in the compound to the left of the photo?
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Yes, Steve, traffic does drive on the right.
                            I honestly don't know about CCTV in the area behind the wall, Mark. I will try to find out what lies in there.
                            Ivy

Comment

Mark, having found out what lies behind the wall, or at least in the immediate vicinity, I would say that it is highly likely to have CCTV there.
                              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                                Mark, having found out what lies behind the wall, or at least in the immediate vicinity, I would say that it is highly likely to have CCTV there.
                                Hmmm - worrying enough that you're showing an unnatural interest in roundabouts, now you're hanging around secure facilities.

Putting sculptures and memorials in roundabouts is the sort of thing that the French do regularly - are we in France?
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X