What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

No, I did not intend to "give it away" that easy. I have to pay more attention before posting here.

I don't know how many here on CVF knew that there was a Jewish Autonomous region in today's Russia. I certainly did not before I stumbled onto it some time ago when looking for something else.

I'll be busy with another loading job the next few days so I suggest that you post the next one Steve.

PS> It's amazing what you learn from this thread. Did you know that many of the early Jewish settlers in the JAO was Americans with a hunger for communist ideology?
    Here is an article about one of them: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/us...nted=2&_r=1&hp
    Amazing stuff.
    Last edited by ombugge; August 9th, 2012, 04:24.

Comment

I agree, Ombugge, that was an incredible story in the New York Times. And when I turned up the www.eao.ru site yesterday after seeing your second picture I was very surprised to read about the Jewish Autonomous Region in Siberia, I had no idea!
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

So after an hour or two of searching for something to keep you all busy, this is what i have come up with. Do enjoy!

What Place is This?

Photo by jacashgone, from his flickr album.
        Last edited by Steve.B; August 18th, 2012, 00:21. Reason: Adding photo attribution.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Another from the same area to help you along.

Photo by jacashgone, from his flickr album.
          Last edited by Steve.B; August 18th, 2012, 00:22. Reason: Adding photo attribution.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I am back from vacation but very busy to bring all things in a move again in the office. But this is very interesting. Do we see a formaer railroad track?
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Welcome back Ralf, hope you had a good vacation. In answer to your question, no, i do not believe that there are any former railways in this area, i have just had a good search and can find no mention of any at all. I guess you are thinking about the concrete bridge in the first photo? I must admit it does look like it could have been part of an old railway. I will do some more investigating to see if i can find any information regarding that structure. I will post back if i do manage to find something.

Comment

Thank you, i think the bridge can help to solve the puzzle. In the meantime i will try to narrow it down to the right continent. I guess we are in America, maybe South America?

Just about to leave for a business trip to CZ again, but i will have a look in here from time to time.

Comment

I have still not found any information regarding an old railway, but i can tell you that we are not in either north or south America.

Comment

Not much interest in this one. Let's see if we can generate some.

Your next clue.

Comment

Dinosaur eggs!! Are we in the Caucasus Mountains, Chechnya near the Georgian border, where some very large once have been found recently?

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                        Dinosaur eggs!! Are we in the Caucasus Mountains, Chechnya near the Georgian border, where some very large once have been found recently?
                        No, not the Caucasus Mountains. Too far north with that guess.

Comment

Not much interest in this one.
                          Oh Steve, I'm very interested, but time is my problem at the moment. All I'm doing on CV is the Dutch weekends, because I am in such a right pickle at home. My decorator has gone sick and I have the contents of the bathroom and from kitchen shelves and worktops stacked in my living room, saucepans under the settee, paraphernelia on the piano and my already thinning hair getting rapidly less as I tear more out!
                          But dinosaur eggs - hmm-mmmm!
                          Ivy

Comment

Hope you get back to some sort of normality at home soon, Ivy. Have been keeping my eye on your posts covering your Dutch weekend. I really do not know how you fitted so much into one weekend!

So, your saucepans are under your settee at the moment, have they been joined by your frying pan?, if so we are all safe for a while!

Comment

Ah, we're on to the second weekend now, with the Woudrichem visit.
                              I'm keeping the frying pan very handy. (for the dinosaur egg, of course. )
                              That reminds me, i have a small fragment of dinosaur eggshell, amongst my curios.
                              Last edited by wherrygirl; August 17th, 2012, 15:29.
                              Ivy

Comment

I am also very interested, but did not have the time during this week. The weekend will also be busy, but then it will be more relaxing next week, since the rest of my family is out then. So stay on tuned i really like to do some reseach. The bridge, the mountains and trees and now the eggs... very thrilling...

Comment

Working...
                                X