What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Well, assuming it is one of your own pictures and knowing that you were traveling to/from Norway by car, incl. some ferry pictures from both Germany and Denmark, I decided to try long your route.
    Nyhavn and Christaniahavn did not have the right architecture and not a similar Church spire, so I headed back to Germany.

I cannot find a direct match to your picture, but I'm fairly certain that this is at the waterfront in Flensburg.
    Can you confirm??

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      Well, assuming it is one of your own pictures and knowing that you were traveling to/from Norway by car, incl. some ferry pictures from both Germany and Denmark, I decided to try long your route.
      Nyhavn and Christaniahavn did not have the right architecture and not a similar Church spire, so I headed back to Germany.

I cannot find a direct match to your picture, but I'm fairly certain that this is at the waterfront in Flensburg.
      Can you confirm??
      Yes I can confirm - that it's NOT Flensburg!!

(I'm starting to enjoy this!)
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I shall say this;

"Resistance is futile"

You need to be a bit of a Star Trek fan to understand that connection.

Good day!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
          I shall say this;

"Resistance is futile"

You need to be a bit of a Star Trek fan to understand that connection.

Good day!
          Not much of a trekkie - but we had a boss who used to say "Make it so" - usually resulted in an overwhelming urge to thump him - despite the fact he was otherwise a very decent chap.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Not wanting a thump i shall explain that was something the 'Borg' used to say, normally just before they ruined your life forever by assimilating you.

Not having another puzzle lined up, and not wanting to spoil the fun you are having with Mr Ombugge, i shall say no more!
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

OK, let's get back on the ferry and cross the fjord, to Sonderborg on the Danish side:

I'm not a Trekki either.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                I'm not a Trekki either.
                Maybe not, but you know your Borgs - as does Steve.

Yep - Sønderborg, and yes, one of mine as we headed north this summer. I'll take a more a complex route next year just to confuse you!!

Well done Ombugge. Where are we off to next?
                Last edited by PoloUK; August 4th, 2012, 16:57.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                  Maybe not, but you know your Borgs - as does Steve.

Yep - Sønderborg, and yes, one of mine as we headed north this summer. I'll take a more a complex route next year just to confuse you!!

Well done Ombugge. Where are we off to next?
                  What set me on the wrong track was that the facades and Church spire in my last picture came up when I searched for Flensburg waterfront. Google didn't tell me that we had gone elsewhere.
                  (OK, I just looked at the picture and didn't really read the text)

It is getting harder and harder to find any good puzzle pics, even using your own. I'll see what I can come up with.
                  Where we are off to?? Anywhere in the world.

Comment

Where we are off to?? Anywhere in the world.
                    Somewhere where none of us have been, eh? There's loads about, if you seek.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                      Somewhere where none of us have been, eh? There's loads about, if you seek.
                      Here is one that should fit the above. Where in the world do you find this fine Plaza??:

Comment

I have not got a clue with this one at the moment. The cars look Japanese, but Japanese cars are all around the world, so that does not help. Left hand drive by the looks of it, again, not a big help. The place looks rather quiet and the road surface seems to be falling to bits in places, looks like ice damage, so maybe somewhere that suffers cold winters?

The photo is very low resolution, so i am even struggling to tell what that statue is, a horse pulling something, but cannot make out what it is. Soldiers sitting in on a low gun carriage? Very hard to tell.

And we have what looks like a green grounded van body without wheels sitting on the left of the photo. But not of a type i recognise. And that 'No Entry' road sign seems fairly common to a lot of countries, so again, not much help.

Not getting anywhere fast with this one at the moment.

Comment

Grass is a bit threadbare too!
                          Ivy

Comment

A bit slow her.
                            OK here is a second pics from the same place:

That may help.

Comment

Ombugge, i fear that you overlooked the www address in the bottom corner of your last image? That address leads us straight to the Jewish autonomous oblast region of eastern Russia. And a quick look at the region via a google search instantly gave the answer to this puzzle. The main square in Birobidzhan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birobidzhan

I am sure you did not mean to lead us straight to the answer like that, so i think it only fair you post another puzzle.

Comment

I agree, Steve. I PM'd Ombugge earlier about it, hoping that he could crop it before anyone else noticed. I must say I doubt I would ever have ID'd the place without that URL, although I didn't bother to go on searching for the first picture!
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X