Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
    They're herbs aren't they Steve - hence Ivy's question about it being kitchen garden I think.
    'Herbs', you are correct Mark, they are herbs, but how do you define a herb?

I wonder whether it's more medicine related - would explain the variety somewhat - not that that helps me much!!

Just spent 20 minutes toddling around Buckland Abbey on Google Earth, but Steve has basically told us it's not there I think.
    I do not know if any of these plants could be used for medicinal purposes.

And, no, not Buckland Abbey, you can lay that one to rest.

I feel you both are getting closer on this one, not long now me thinks.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Is this place a "Walled Garden"??
      If so, is it Winsford Walled Garden??
      I cannot find any definite proof, but some similarities.

Comment

No, not Winsford. Nor is it described as a walled garden.

Seeing that another day has gone by, i will now confirm that we are not in Devon with this one.
        Last edited by Steve.B; August 2nd, 2012, 18:57.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
          No, not Winsford. Nor is it described as a walled garden.

Seeing that another day has gone by, i will now confirm that we are not in Devon with this one.
          Hallelujah! Lanhydrock!!

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44876...=kh.google.com

(I hope).
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I bet your glad that one is over?

Yep, you got it, Mark. It's the herbaceous border in the grounds of the Lanhydrock estate. Hidden deep within the National Trusts website for Lanhydrock you will have found just one image of the garden. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lanh...and-do/page-1/ Other than that images from a google search will not have found much at all.

But i see you found it on google earth, quite a few photos of the garden posted on there.

Well done Mark, i was hoping this one would run for a whole week, but you put a stop to that! Back to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
              I bet your glad that one is over?

Yep, you got it, Mark. It's the herbaceous border in the grounds of the Lanhydrock estate. Hidden deep within the National Trusts website for Lanhydrock you will have found just one image of the garden. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lanh...and-do/page-1/ Other than that images from a google search will not have found much at all.

But i see you found it on google earth, quite a few photos of the garden posted on there.

Well done Mark, i was hoping this one would run for a whole week, but you put a stop to that! Back to you!
              I was sure that Ivy would beat me to it - and probably give us the latin name of the wisteria.

It would have been quicker if I hadn't been looking in the wrong county for most of the week!!

Will post a new one later today - whatever I choose won't last as long as this one or one of Ombugge's.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Very well done indeed Mark. Full Marks, you might say.(ouch!) I was getting nowhere. In fact at first after Steve's remark about not wanting to say too much about whether it was Devon or Cornwall had me scooting to offshore island in the area.
                Like you, I had thought medicinal for a bit, but Steve said no to that.
                Then his cryptic question
                'Herbs', you are correct Mark, they are herbs, but how do you define a herb?
                got me really puzzled. I thought, well, plants that die down to the ground each year after doing their thing are "herbaceous" as opposed to "woody", but I still thought there was more to it than that.
                Life is very hectic in the house at the moment and time short, but I look forward to Mark's puzzler.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Sorry if my question about herb definition caused confusion, it was actually meant to help, i wanted to steer you towards 'herbaceous', rather than just 'herb'. Maybe it's just me, but if i hear the word 'herb' i would associated it with a herb garden, but if i hear the word 'herbaceous' i always think of herbaceous borders. I thought you would have more luck searching for south west Herbaceous Borders than you would south west Herb Gardens!

But you are correct, i was rather crafty by not mentioning the actual county, even after i ruled out Devon, it did occur to me that you may be off searching the channel islands!
                  Last edited by Steve.B; August 3rd, 2012, 12:16.

Comment

So .. what place is this?

With my usual record of giving too much away, I should think this may last 3 or 4 hours!!
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Church tower looks Dutch. Can we narrow it down to that country??

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                        Church tower looks Dutch. Can we narrow it down to that country??
                        No. You can't narrow it down to that country!
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

No. You can't narrow it down to that country!
                          Does that mean we can eliminate Holland??
                          (Your cryptic replies are getting very good)

Comment

(Your cryptic replies are getting very good)
                            I've learnt from the absolute master!!!

Probably better not to eliminate Holland - they may not like it - but no, this isn't in Holland. (Or indeed the Netherlands).
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I've learnt from the absolute master!!!

Probably better not to eliminate Holland - they may not like it - but no, this isn't in Holland. (Or indeed the Netherlands).
                              OK, I will not eliminate Holland single handedly. If we are not in Holland, then maybe somewhere in Flanders??

Comment

OK, I will not eliminate Holland single handedly. If we are not in Holland, then maybe somewhere in Flanders??
                                Nope - 'fraid not. Very logical deduction though - it's very much that type of architecture.
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X