Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
    So ... in desperation ... Question 1: Are we west of Exeter; Question 2: Are we south of the Severn?
    Yes to both Mark. Now why do i get the feeling you already have somewhere in mind?
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
      Yes to both Mark. Now why do i get the feeling you already have somewhere in mind?
      Well, I'll be honest and say that it had the air of Heligan to me - up by the house itself, but I can't find anything on the web, or in my own photos that looks anything like it!

I'm leaning to Cornwall rather than Devon anyway - for no good reason at all.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        Well, I'll be honest and say that it had the air of Heligan to me - up by the house itself, but I can't find anything on the web, or in my own photos that looks anything like it!

I'm leaning to Cornwall rather than Devon anyway - for no good reason at all.
        The lost gardens of Heligan, now there's a place i have no been to for many many years. I visited there back in the 90's when i used to go camping down near Goran Haven. Nope, not Heligan, Mark, keep looking.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Yes, I searched Heligan, up and down and round and about, but nothing.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Steve, was I right in speaking of weavers' windows and old chapel - or ex-chapel?
            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
              This mix puzzles me. Weavers' windows, old chapel with the gable window glass backed by what seems to be random stonework like the section of wall nearby, kitchen/nursery garden? open to visitors?
              Is it in the UK, Steve?
              Steve, was I right in speaking of weavers' windows and old chapel - or ex-chapel?
              Sorry Ivy. I simply cannot answer the question about weavers windows and old chapel. Not because i do not want to, but simply because i cannot find any information regarding the buildings you see in the photo. Have looked several times because i wanted to use the information for a clue, but no luck i am afraid.

"Kitchen/Nursery garden?". no, not according to the information i have seen regarding the area in the photo. But keep in mind that i know not much about gardens and the like, but the description i have for that garden area is different.

Sorry i could not be more help, if i do find any info regarding the buildings i will let you know.

Comment

OK - so we're struggling!!

We've got it down to two counties - let's go one step further:

Is it in Devon?

(Looking at Buckland, Buckfast etc.)
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Not sure i want to narrow it down too far just yet, Mark. West of Exeter rules out a fair chunk of Devon, and i will also add that you can rule out the North of Devon, so that's another chunk out of the way. I think that's fair at this point.

Comment

Could it be an over grown old Chapel just outside Newmill, Cornwall???
                    Last edited by ombugge; July 31st, 2012, 17:31.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                      Could it be an over grown old Chapel just outside Newmill, Corwall???
                      No, afraid not. Again, i do not have a clue what purpose the building serves - either past or present. In relation to this puzzle it is just a building that happens to sit within the grounds of this place.

Comment

Removed - posted in wrong thread!.
                        Last edited by Steve.B; July 31st, 2012, 13:14.

Comment

Four days! Not often one of my puzzles survive that long. Must be the Olympics!

Time for a bit of help perhaps? We know the building is not important, other than helping in the photographic recognition of this place. So what about plants?, maybe they are 'important'? Like i have said, finding a photo of this particular part of this place is not that easy via a normal google search, but i have discovered that Google Earth will be your friend with this one.

Ivy, your earlier reference to it being a kitchen garden. I have done more research and discovered that this area was indeed a kitchen garden in the past, but was replanted into what you see today many years ago.

Comment

They're herbs aren't they Steve - hence Ivy's question about it being kitchen garden I think.
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Yes, I did have herbs in mind, because it was not the brussela sprouts, potatoes and peaches type of plot. But I couldn't really ID many of the plants. I've been hunting for herb gardens that are in an area something like that, but without success so far.
                              Ivy

Comment

Yes, I did have herbs in mind, because it was not the brussela sprouts, potatoes and peaches type of plot. But I couldn't really ID many of the plants. I've been hunting for herb gardens that are in an area something like that, but without success so far.
                                I wonder whether it's more medicine related - would explain the variety somewhat - not that that helps me much!!

Just spent 20 minutes toddling around Buckland Abbey on Google Earth, but Steve has basically told us it's not there I think.
                                Last edited by PoloUK; August 1st, 2012, 23:53. Reason: Got Buckland and Buckfast mixed up! Wrong either way!!
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X