Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    Mem, at the eastern end of the canal, near Söderköping.
    Yes, absolutely Cecilia.

What a stunning place it is too. The queue was due to the fact that one of the lock gates had fallen off, and some of the Göta employees were doing a lot of head-scratching and hitting things with hammers to try to get the lock back into service.

Absolutely loved Mem - so peaceful, so beautiful and with the added virtue of the boats going through.

I wonder if we should have a Göta Canal thread - I suspect that Cecilia and I aren't the only ones with photos that would fit in there.

It was one of my photos, but I left off the © 'cos I had said in other posts last month how much we'd loved that area, and thought it may be a giveaway. I was also banking on Tommi not having time to look at this thread for a few hours!

Over to you Seagull!!
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Wow…ME getting a “What place is this” solved in seconds after seeing the puzzle!!!!!…I feel almost guilty popping in here like that when all you loyal puzzlers spend such hours in your fascinating investigations!!!!

Mark probably thought I was no threat, having associated my Sweden links as being further south …and my holiday trips on all three of the old steamers (and resulting photo collection including practically every lock and light!!!!) date from my pre-digital era (which coincides with the change of century) and so have never been posted on CVF. But I do have a few digital photos of parts of the canal while passing by….guilt again as I never got around to posting even those!

The photo here was taken in 2002 when I stayed a few days in Soderköping. This particular day I had walked in glorious weather along the towpath from there to Mem – and tried out my few phrases of Swedish on this fishing enthusiast – though really all that was needed were the words fisk and stor!!!!!

Yes Mark it is a great idea to have a thread for the Göta Kanal as we have been enjoying more about Sweden on the forum these days. I will look out my digital photos and make a start on that…

But first a difficult task for me to set a new puzzle as I have not at all kept up on your clever Google search techniques and sophisticated sleuthing methods!!!!!!
      Back presently…and Tommi it would be fascinating meanwhile to hear how quickly you would have solved this had you been around!!!!

Comment

Here's your next puzzle folks!

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
          I was also banking on Tommi not having time to look at this thread for a few hours!
          A small secret: I actually never read this thread...

I fell in here via Mark's new Göta canal thread, will post a few pictures there within short!

Comment

I would never have thought that I’d manage to set a puzzle that would last through the night!…or have you all just not noticed it yet!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I would never have thought that I’d manage to set a puzzle that would last through the night!…or have you all just not noticed it yet!!!!!!!!!!
              Oops - didn't spot it - saw Tommi's response, but not the picture.

Nice lamp-post!
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

It's most certainly been noticed, and a fair bit of head scratchings been going on i can tell you Cecilia! I have been trying to work out what the wording on the wall is, not sure if it's some ancient tongue or some language i am not familiar with. I think i will study the lamp-post, probably have more luck with that!
                Last edited by Steve.B; July 27th, 2012, 17:07.
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                  Oops - didn't spot it - saw Tommi's response, but not the picture.

Nice lamp-post!
                  Yes nice lamp post indeed and very Scandinavian in style.
                  After having attempted to interpret the Latin words and giving up I tried Scandinavian Lamp Post designs, as that was the only clue here.
                  No luck with any variety of words along that line I switched to "Gatelys" (Street lights) in Norwegian and came upon a very similar lamp post with the title "Veilys i Trondheim":

Next logical step was to search for Murals in Trondheim. No luck, but remembering my luck with Norwegian I changed the search words to "Veggmaleri Trondheim".
                  That brought up this picture, which appears to be a total match:

This is at Innheradsveien 2B and painted by (or for?) Goldsmit Hans Holmboe.

Tricky one this. Now I have to find something to match.
                  I will be occupied with a load-out the nearest few days, so if somebody is sitting on a good puzzle and just burning to post it, feel free.

Comment

Absolutely delighted by Ombugge’s success… not simply that he solved the puzzle complete with address, but that it was achieved by way of impressive expertise of what to the rest of us is the arcane subject of Scandinavian lamp-posts!!!!!! Consider yourself awarded a bonus mark Ombugge!

For the rest of you who may have been struggling with the mural itself, here is some further interesting info. Firstly a location map:

…and then a look along Innherredsveien in “street view”:

The mural isn’t as old as you might have been tempted to suppose. I have come across a splendid black and white photo in the Trondheim Municipal Archives, taken in1966, in which you can see the mural that used to be there – an advert for Coca-Cola no less!

Ummm…I have a kind of feeling that our Captain might even prefer that one!!!!!

Further investigation revealed that the more recent mural was actually painted by an artist Hans Holmboe who has a studio in an upper floor of the building. Moreover the figure in the painting is a self-portrait!

Unless they have opened a second establishment, it would appear that the ground floor Goldsmith’s shop has recently moved, relocating to a more central location in Munkegata 37.

Comment

That was certainly a good bit of sleuthing!
                      Knowing nothing about Scandinavian lamp-posts I'd gone down the arcane route. Surcum Cordae translates as "lift up your hearts", echoing the finger pointing to the heavens, and the year 2007 in the pane above the figure plus the timepiece the figure is holding up ties in with various dire prophecies as to the end of the world in that year.
                      Fat lot of good all that did me!
                      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Absolutely delighted by Ombugge’s success… not simply that he solved the puzzle complete with address, but that it was achieved by way of impressive expertise of what to the rest of us is the arcane subject of Scandinavian lamp-posts!!!!!! Consider yourself awarded a bonus mark Ombugge!
                        No, not an expert on Scandinavian Lamp posts. What I meant by "very typical Scandinavian design" was that it had a clean, simple and functional style, which to me is typical of Scandinavia, whether lamp posts or other objects. No ornaments or unnecessary curved arm at the top.

You are still invited to place the next puzzle.

Comment

Okay, i have one ready to post, lets see if it will last the day.

Which Place is This?

Photo credit: Fenners1984.
                          Last edited by Steve.B; August 3rd, 2012, 15:02. Reason: Adding photo credit.
                          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

This mix puzzles me. Weavers' windows, old chapel with the gable window glass backed by what seems to be random stonework like the section of wall nearby, kitchen/nursery garden? open to visitors?
                            Is it in the UK, Steve?
                            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I can confirm we are in the UK, Ivy. Very glad that this one's got you puzzled, that means this might last a little while!

Now, you may not want to hear this, but, obviously i know where we are with this place, and i must admit that even i am struggling to find other images taken with this view. I have found a couple, but be warned, they do seem quite rare. But, you will be pleased to know that there are hundreds of pictures of the rest of this place.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                                I can confirm we are in the UK, Ivy. Very glad that this one's got you puzzled, that means this might last a little while!

Now, you may not want to hear this, but, obviously i know where we are with this place, and i must admit that even i am struggling to find other images taken with this view. I have found a couple, but be warned, they do seem quite rare. But, you will be pleased to know that there are hundreds of pictures of the rest of this place.

Good luck!
                                Hmm - that doesn't help much. The 'rare view' hint adds to the confusion, since my three main guesses were suffering from the 'but what if it's not the usual view' problem!

So ... in desperation ... Question 1: Are we west of Exeter; Question 2: Are we south of the Severn?
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X