X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Okay, so a search for Alaskan mountain ranges led me to this website:

Great Land of Alaska.

On that website is a map and list of the various ranges. Top on the list is the 'Alaska Range'. It would appear to be one of the most famous ranges in Alaska, so that got me interested. Plus, the paragraph concerning the Alaska Range also mentioned volcanic activity. That bit of news got me even more interested - Ombugge's photo shows what could be evidence of past volcanic activity - those greyish coloured smooth looking slopes. So i started a Google image search for the Alaska Range. Found nothing seemed to match Ombugge's photo. I found images that seemed to show similar terrain, but nothing i could say was a match. So i narrowed my search down to 'Mt McKinley, the highest peak in the range. I found this website:

Views of Mt McKinley

Take a very close look at the images, they can be increased to a large size. Photos 4, 5 and 6 are the ones that might solve this puzzle. I am going to guess that this is the same mountain shown in Ombugge's photo. It looks very different because Ombugge's photo was obviously taken during the summer months, these photos i have found are taken when the mountain is covered in snow.

I am about 98% sure i have cracked this one. I guess that we are looking at Mt McKinley in the Alaska Range of mountains. The mountain is also known by the name 'Denali'. McKinley being the white mans name for the mountain. The mountain is situated in the Denali National Park.
    Last edited by Steve.B; July 25th, 2012, 00:06. Reason: typo
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Yes you have cracked this one. I only had it down as from Denali National Park, but with Mt.McKinley mentioned in the text.

Photo by Liz Noffsinger downloaded from freedigitalsphoto.net

Back to you then Steve!!

Comment

Sure sign that he's back!!!
        Steve, that was a wonderful bit of research.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

So now the hard part falls to me again - finding a suitable puzzle! I am busy through the day today, so i shall see what i can find this evening.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Okay, i have one that i have been meaning to use for some time.

Which Place is This?

Comment

Is that by any chance Rudder Rock, Steepholm?

http://www.kayakaroundtheuk.co.uk/category/steep-holm/

If so, can't be many spots that are quite so lonely whilst very close to major centres of population.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post

If so, can't be many spots that are quite so lonely whilst very close to major centres of population.
                You've got it Mark. Steepholm it most certainly is! And i never knew that part of it was called Rudder Rock, but looking at the photo you found i can see how it got it's name. I took that photo a few years back on our way up to Sharpness docks.

I had a feeling that this one would be easily solved, the evidence of a large tidal range on the rocks would have pointed to somewhere like the Bristol Channel.

Well done, Mark, so now back to you to find us something to keep us occupied for a while!

Comment

To be honest - although it's all of 50 miles from me here, it was a lucky selection of Google search terms - gun emplacement cliffs caves sea - that made me suddenly realise where it was, rather than any recognition or deduction!

OK - I'll try to find something to keep us going for a little while - I'm not optimistic though - mine seem to be solved in minutes normally.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

What place is this?

(My previous best is probably 24 hours - I hope for 24 minutes for this one!).
                    Last edited by PoloUK; July 26th, 2012, 15:20. Reason: Attribution - 'cos Cecilia knew where it is!
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post

This one was solved before I even got to see it. Well done Mark.
                      The names of Flat Holm and Steep Holm intrigued me, since Holm is obviously the same as the Norwegian "Holme". There must be literally hundreds of "Flatholmen" (Flat Holm) and "Brattholmen" (Steep Holm) around the Norwegian coast.

The one I know best, and could easily find pictures of, is Flatholmen in Aalesund. Now site of the new Container Port and Industrial area, accessible by tunnel though Aksla.

Here is some pictures from Aalesund Havn Webcam:

Interesting stories about the pair in the Bristol Channel can be found here: http://www.philip.ukphotographers.com/holms1.htm
                      So close and yet so far apart, communication wise.
                      Last edited by ombugge; July 26th, 2012, 04:44.

Comment

Not Holland, Norway or Denmark. My guess is somewhere on the west coast of Sweden??
                        Last edited by ombugge; July 26th, 2012, 09:46.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                          Not Holland, Norway or Denmark. My guess is somewhere on the west coast of Sweden??
                          Yep, not Holland, Norway or Denmark!

Not the west coast of Sweden either.

(In my best Ombugg-ian mysterious and yet meaningful tone of voice).
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

My guess: Somewhere by the Göta Kanal, Sweden.
                            Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
                              My guess: Somewhere by the Göta Kanal, Sweden.
                              Yes indeed Øistein - 'somewhere' by the Göta!! Only about 190km of it to choose from.

Keep going.
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Mem, at the eastern end of the canal, near Söderköping.

Comment

Working...
                                X