What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Yes I dug up again this puzzle due to the ferry crashing into a seafood restaurant in what looks like dead flat calm condition with no current, as can be seen in the video.
    They must have had some mechanical problems.

As for your last puzzle, I haven't had time to look at it in details, but it does look familiar. I'm sure I have seen something similar some time ago. Not Roman
    I believe it is some very famous ruins in what used to be Mesopotamia, or there abouts.

Comment

I searched for "Famous ruins Mesopotamia" and up came this, which looked like it matched a gate in the puzzle picture:

The rest of the pictures in the article proved it to be Persepolis in what is today Iran: http://travel2photograph.wordpress.c...dle-east/iran/

It was clearly not the most famous ruins in Mesopotamia, Babylon, since those have been partly restored.

PS> I think this place has been in National Geographic, either the magazine or the TV show, some time back. (I have been a member of NGS for more that 30 years and have collected the magazine for the last 20 years or more)

Comment

That was certainly very swift, Ombugge. Yes, it is Persepolis. I cropped a little, but the full picture is at:
        http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...mshid_1234.jpg and Wiki gives details of the city at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persepolis
        i thought you'd all be excavating Greek ruins for a while, but you went straight there! Well done and over to you.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

That last place was quite famous, but this next one hardly come under that category.

Where is this ruined wharf situated?:

This one also comes with a personal story, but that is for later.

Comment

Now this one could be really interesting. I'm not going to have much time for it, though, for quite a while now. But if I have a few moments. I'll keep an eye on it. It could be good.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I know it is summer in Europe, but nobody has even ask for clues on this one yet.
              OK, here is a clue anyhow:

At least some car and buildings to look at.

PS> I used to stay in the hotel with all the antennas on top when working here.
              Last edited by ombugge; May 28th, 2012, 12:20.

Comment

French writing, driving on the right, looks like Africa to me - perhaps West Africa?
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                  French writing, driving on the right, looks like Africa to me - perhaps West Africa?
                  Yes, West Africa...................

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    Yes, West Africa...................
                    Looking at the wharf and at the church near the hotel I think it could be POINTE-NOIRE in CONGO
                    Last edited by yvneac; May 29th, 2012, 10:44.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                      Looking at the wharf and at the church near the hotel I think it could be POINTE-NOIRE in CONGO
                      Point Noire in Congo it is. The original picture show the old Bulk Pier jutting out into the South Atlantic. As far as I know it is totally gone now, except maybe some of the supports close to the beach.

Coming across the picture of the Bulk Pier and not so pleasant memories returned.

I did quite a bit of work in Congo back in 1980's, but haven't been back there since I think 1987.
                      Having a quite day between two jobs, and having been given my own car for transport, I decided to go for a little walk along the beach.
                      I parked my car near the Club on the beach and just wandered up the beach without paying much attention to my surroundings.

When I got about to where that picture was taken from I realized that there were nobody else around and decided to turn back.

Out from the bushes came a little fellow with a cigarette in his hand and indicated that he wanted to light it. As I was still a heavy smoker at that time I took out my lighter and offered it to him.

He grabbed my hand and gave clear indication that he wanted my wallet. I thought it a bit ridiculous for an unarmed little fellow to try to rob me and tried to pull free, without luck.
                      He pulled out a broken Champagne bottle from behind his back and slashed at me, cutting my loos hanging shirt, but not my belly.

I did not know if he was very skillful, or if I was just lucky, but was not going to try to find out. I just took out my wallet and gave it to him. He grabbed it and run back into the bushes.

So there I was in Congo, with no money and no Credit Cards and no way of blocking the cards. Not a good feeling.

I managed to get some CFE cash advance from my client, enough to get me by until the job was done, but that is not very useful currency outside French Africa and France.

A had enough left on arrival Paris, where I could change into French Franc, to get me up to Norway, which was my base at the time.

About I year later I was in the same situation, a day off and nothing to do. Again I decided that I was going to the beach, no matter what.
                      This time it was a Sunday and the beach was full of people.
                      I parked my car near the Club and changed to shorts. I put my wallet in the pocket of my pants, put the pants in the glove compartment and locked it + the car doors and windows.

I only walked where I could keep an eye on the car all the time, but got distracted when a little girl almost drowned. When I returned to the car the doors were still locked, as was the glove compartment. When I took out my pants, the wallet was gone, however. NOT AGAIN!!!
                      VERY embarrassing to have to ask the client for cash advance once again, but at least they obliged.

I was later told that every thief in Point Noire worthy of the title had a full set of keys to the model of Peugeot I had been given. (There were apparently only 8-10 varieties)

That became a long personal story, but I hope you enjoyed it as much as I regretted to be so gullible.

Here is some more pictures from Point Noire that I had prepared as clue, if it should be required:

That one may not have helped much, but this one would have given it away:

Comment

Ombugge, next time you will stay at Pointe Noire:
                        1) wear a tempered steel tee shirt
                        2) don't rent a Peugeot but a tank T54.

I look for a new puzzle.

Comment

What and were is it?
                          Last edited by yvneac; May 30th, 2012, 14:08.

Comment

Good advise, but I have no plans of visiting Congo, or West Africa, in the foreseeable future.

This last one must be in France I assume?? A hilly part of France some more.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                              Good advise, but I have no plans of visiting Congo, or West Africa, in the foreseeable future.

This last one must be in France I assume?? A hilly part of France some more.
                              Yes it takes place in France.The town has a flat part and a hilly part.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                                Yes it takes place in France.The town has a flat part and a hilly part.
                                That's the Mur des Canuts, Croix-Rousse in Lyon.

Isn't it fantastic!!! Could spend hours looking at that and still see new things!
                                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X