What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

I resume I gave this one away by posting the last picture without masking the name of the building.
    Well, anyhow, it is Bagansiapiapi in Riau Province, Indonesia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagansiapiapi

This is one more of the numerous towns in Indonesia that nobody has ever heard about, but it has a very interesting history.
    The fact that the Chinese settled on the other side of Malacca Strait at a very early stage is well known, but the existence of many purely "Chinese" towns on the Indonesian side is far less known.

OK, back to Yves for the next one.

Comment

The biggest event in Bagan is the burning of the Tongkang (Bakar Tongkang) to symbolize that the Chinese that settled here did not intend to ever return to China.
      It has become an attraction even for foreign tourist. (You may google it)

It will be held 3-5. July due to the double 4th month this year. Book hotel and transport early.

Comment

I feel me shameful.Out of CVF for few days, i had only to click after reading the Ombugge's clue.In fact Mark made all the job,so it's his round.

Comment

Ombugge, what did you mean here:
          It will be held 3-5. July due to the double 4th month this year. Book hotel and transport early.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

This year there are two 4th months in the Chinese calender. Why it is so is not so easy to explain, but here is a simple explanation from Wilkipedia:

Most people, upon using or studying the Chinese calendar, are perplexed by the intercalary month because of its seemingly unpredictable nature. As mentioned above, the intercalary month refers to additional months added to the calendar in some years to correct for its deviation from the astronomical year, a function similar to that of the extra day in February in leap years.
            However, because of the complex astronomical knowledge required to calculate if and when an intercalary month needs to be inserted, to most people, it is simply a mystery. This has led to a superstition that intercalary months in certain times of the year bring bad luck.
            The main purpose of the intercalary month is to correct for deviations of the calendrical year from the astronomical year. Because the Chinese calendar is mainly a lunar calendar, its standard year is 354 days, whereas the astronomical year is approximately 365¼ days. Without the intercalary month, this deviation would build up over time, and the Spring festival, for example, would no longer fall in Spring. Thus, the intercalary month serves a valuable purpose in ensuring that the year in the Chinese calendar remains approximately in line with the astronomical year.
            The intercalary month is inserted whenever the Chinese calendar moves too far from the stage of progression of the earth in its orbit. Thus, for example, if the beginning of a certain month in the Chinese calendar deviates by a certain number of days from its equivalent in a solar calendar, an intercalary month needs to be inserted.
            The practical benefit of this system is that the calendar is able to approximately keep in pace with the solar cycle, while at the same time retaining months that roughly correspond with lunar cycles. Hence the term lunisolar calendar. The latter is important because many traditional festivals correspond to significant events in the moon's cycle. For example, the mid-autumn festival is always on a day of the full moon.
            Why the extra month falls on the 4th month this year is even more complex, so I'll refrain from trying to explain that. All I know is that when we got married there was also two 4th months. That is 38 years ago and I have no idea if it has happened anytime between.

As for the Bakar Tongkang Festival it is normally sometime in June. (16th day of the 5th month), but this year it is late because of the extra 4th month.

PS> Anybody wants to learn more about the Chinese calender?? : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_calendar
            Last edited by ombugge; May 21st, 2012, 17:03.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
              I feel me shameful.Out of CVF for few days, i had only to click after reading the Ombugge's clue.In fact Mark made all the job,so it's his round.
              Yves - I only worked out what it was, based on Ombugge's very helpful clues.

You worked out where it is - so it's definitely your turn!!
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                Yves - I only worked out what it was, based on Ombugge's very helpful clues.

You worked out where it is - so it's definitely your turn!!
                Thank's,Mark.
                Infortunatly I tried few minutes ago to post a new one but I can't connect at time CVF and photobucket.I hope I have'nt made an international net bug!!
                So if one of our distinguished members wants to send a puzzle he may do it.
                Yves
                Last edited by yvneac; May 21st, 2012, 18:21.

Comment

Umm-umm-um.... just wondering whether to have a sulk at that last sentence...... haven't really got time though.
                  Ivy

Comment

Ombugge, thank you very much. I have never known of this, I suppose because I have never thought about the reconciliation of the solar and lunar calendars. I'll have a look at the Wiki URL soon.
                    Ivy

Comment

Youpie...My computer is still alive.
                      Since nobody posts a new puzzle I suggest this one

Comment

This seems to be the Chateauneuf-en-Auxois, in Burgundy, see:
                        http://www.bonjourparis.com/story/5-...-roche-guyon-/
                        Last edited by wherrygirl; May 22nd, 2012, 23:35. Reason: typo
                        Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                          This seems to be the Chateauneuf-en-Auxois, in Burgundy, see:
                          http://www.bonjourparis.com/story/5-...-roche-guyon-/

Yes Ivy, it's Chateauneuf.You found it very fast.
                          Anyway a nice place for a call between Paris and the South,close to the fabulous wineyards of Burgundy.

Comment

Here's a few weeks of happy hunting for you all - some hope!

photographer: Mardetanha
                            Last edited by wherrygirl; May 24th, 2012, 18:33. Reason: Attributed photo.
                            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                              Let us stay maritime but obviously not tropical:

Now, where are we here???
                              Remember this enjoyable puzzle some 4 weeks ago? It took some time to solve and was finally pinpointed as near Petersburg, Alaska.
                              Here is a video that just came my way via LinkedIn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oLWOi49LuvM
                              The same ferry and the same place, almost.

Comment

For a moment I thought you'd already solved the latest puzzle!

The URL you gave was of the crash, did you mean that one? There is also the Sergius Narrows video one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX8kl...eature=related for the same ferry. That is presumably somewhere near there - I haven't time to study the map now.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X