What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

I thought I had replied this morning, in fact I did reply, but must have pressed the wrong button instead of Post!
    Yes, you're quite right, Ombugge, well done. The photo I posted was apparently taken in October 2007, whereas your one was uploaded in March 2010, so a little restoration had obviously been done in the meantime.
    It is said to be the ramp up which the Trojan Horse was pushed, if in fact there was such a thing! There have been so many layers of different Troy remains, the latest being a Roman one, I think, hence my rather ambiguous reply to Yves.
    So back to you, Ombugge.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

OK, then it is up to me to find something that isn't instantly recognized by Google. I will probably have to resort to something of my own making, or just risk it being the first thing that shows up on Google. Reverting.

Comment

I will just put up one without checking to see if it last a while anyhow.

What is these buildings used for and where are they??

Comment

Over a day and nobody has solved this one?
          Time for some help than. Here is a picture from the same place and with a side building used for the same purpose as the main buildings in the original puzzle pic.:

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            Over a day and nobody has solved this one?
            Time for some help than. Here is a picture from the same place and with a side building used for the same purpose as the main buildings in the original puzzle pic.:
            Hmm - that helps? Well I suppose we're looking at somewhere Asian where it rains.

There is Chinese writing and western writing in various places, and the buildings we're looking at (I believe) are the tall concrete ones. Loads of motorbikes outside in the lower one.

I've stayed in worse looking hotels - but most of them had windows!

Those motorbike registration number plates should help - I suppose - but I can't easily find a country with long thin number plates!
            Last edited by PoloUK; May 20th, 2012, 11:25.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Dear Ombugge - you know he does try to be helpful!
              Looking at what is visible in digits at the top of the building far left it seems to be numbers - telephone?
              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                Hmm - that helps? Well I suppose we're looking at somewhere Asian where it rains.

There is Chinese writing and western writing in various places, and the buildings we're looking at (I believe) are the tall concrete ones. Loads of motorbikes outside in the lower one.

I've stayed in worse looking hotels - but most of them had windows!

Those motorbike registration number plates should help - I suppose - but I can't easily find a country with long thin number plates!
                Yes there are Chinese signs on the lanterns hanging outside the green building, which is actually a Temple, believe it or not.
                Roman letters on top of the building on the left and on the advertising banner near the bicycle shop indicates that it is not in China, as does the tri-cycle and the number plates.

The narrow building beside is it may be concrete and bricks, but the top part looks like corrugated plates to me.

The lack of windows is actually a clue as to the purpose of the structure. (It is not a back-packer hostel, but they do pack in the guests)

And YES Ivy, I DO try to be helpful!!!
                Last edited by ombugge; May 20th, 2012, 12:02.

Comment

I'm thinking warehouses, but for what? There are what could be ventilation slots and ports on the buildings in the first picture, as well as the top window space, though none apart from a window space are visible in the second picture.
                  Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                    I'm thinking warehouses, but for what? There are what could be ventilation slots and ports on the buildings in the first picture, as well as the top window space, though none apart from a window space are visible in the second picture.
                    It is not warehouses, but your observation about the ventilation slots and the one large "window" near the top is a significant clue here.
                    Think about the Chinese connection here and some of their peculiar delicacies, which has been shown in the Food of the world thread.

Comment

Had an idea: Fruit bats, for soup. The top "window" is for them to exit at night.

Later: is it some part of Palau, which seems to be famed for this soup? Though pictures of that area don't seem to indicate any townships of the kind shown in the puzzle pics.
                      Last edited by wherrygirl; May 20th, 2012, 15:39.
                      Ivy

Comment

What about flying things of another sort - and perhaps their houses?

Not that that particularly helps, since there seem to be factories for this in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand (at least).

I'm going to swallow hard and plump for Indonesia as a first guess.
                        Last edited by PoloUK; May 20th, 2012, 15:36.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

What about flying things of another sort - and perhaps their houses?

Not that that particularly helps, since there seem to be factories for this in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand (at least).

I'm going to swallow hard and plump for Indonesia as a first guess.
                          Well Mark, I think you have solved the first part; What is the structures used for.
                          You have also identified the place as being in Indonesia, but you have not specified where in one of the biggest countries in the world the place is located.

So Mark, stop the riddles and spell it out in plain English.

Comment

Well I'm not entirely sure where it is - that's why I didn't commit to anything!!

It's a Birds' nest factory - for the ingredient for soup.
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Well I'm not entirely sure where it is - that's why I didn't commit to anything!!

It's a Birds' nest factory - for the ingredient for soup.
                              I don't know if Bird's nest FACTORY is the right words to describe these buildings. They are actually nesting houses set up to attract the swallows, or swiftlets actually, who build their nest in them. The nests are then harvested and sent to a factory where they are processed into cleaned and packaged products for the market in China and elsewhere where birds nest soup and cooling drinks are enjoyed. Here is the end product:

But which specific town in Indonesia is shown?? Here is another clue, a nearby building:
                              Last edited by ombugge; May 23rd, 2012, 03:35. Reason: Add picture of Birds nests

Comment

BAGANSIAPIAPI ?

But which specific town in Indonesia is shown?? Here is another clue, a nearby building:
                                [/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                X