What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Yves - I'm wondering if we're in the right country. Are we in fact not in France but in Belgium?

Can't make out the sign on the right, but can't convince myself it doesn't look more like Flemish than French.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Ahh - I was close - but wrong!!

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleury-devant-Douaumont

The chapel of Notre Dame de l'Europe, in the Commune of Fleury devant Douaumont.

Village was totally destroyed in the Battle of Verdun in 1916, the chapel is on the site of the village's church
      Last edited by PoloUK; May 15th, 2012, 17:33.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Got it: see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...l%27Europe.jpg
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Ah, didn't see your post. You beat me by minutes!
          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
            Ah, didn't see your post. You beat me by minutes!
            Oops, sorry Ivy!! Great minds and all that!
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Mark and Ivy you're champions.
              Yes it is Fleury Devant Douaumont.As 8 others villages it was completly distroyed during the battle of Verdun.After the war the chapel was built at the place of the church and , since the 50's,white landmarks point out the streets and grey ones indicate the former houses.
              No trenches here (the villages were not supposed to be in a battle field) but holes of shells everywhere.
              The nine villages , uninhabited,have still an administrative existence with mayors designated by the Prefet.

Comment

OK - so my turn I assume. Just spent an hour trying to find somewhere exciting.

In the end, went for a nice photo instead.

A clue: It's not in South East Asia!!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

See http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1134963
                  Riverside Walk, Ross-on-Wye
                  Lovely sculpture.
                  Ivy

Comment

Being away for a day or two and two new puzzles are presented and solved.
                    As an experiment I copied the last two puzzle pictures and dropped them into Google image search, just to see if they would be recognized.
                    The first one identified it as from Fleury, with several pictures of the chapel and the woods.
                    The second one, which I thought would be a much photographed object, came back with some ridiculous proposal, including a painting of Mao Zhe Tung and the skyline of Singapore.
                    It just goes to show that it IS possible to post pictures that isn't identified by Google, but it makes setting a puzzle that much more difficult and time consuming.

Comment

In this case I searched for something like metal swan sculpture and waded through lots of photos until one appeared which fitted the bill.
                      I do like that it very much, after studying it. We see swans floating on the water, seeming soft and downy, but this bronze shows the power of those wings and also, by the bands across and round the body it seems to represent the strong muscles as well.
                      Ivy

Comment

Well done Ivy - I didn't think that one would take long! Just felt that it had been a while since we'd had a UK one, and I like the swans - I think they're pretty. I have to admit photoshopping out 'Royal Hotel' on the front of the Victorian building on the right to make sure it was only straightforward rather than ridiculously easy! St Mary's Church is on the extreme left of the photo and the Gazebo Tower is next to it.

Ombugge - difficult isn't it. I thought that our own photos were harder to identify with Google Image search, but you've disproved that if it came straight up with Yves' church. I'm not sure that it matters too much does it? We still seem to keep ourselves occupied for days on end with various photos that we each come up with (even if mine are too easy!). The only problem with using our own photos is that it limits things geographically to some extent - less so with your photos, although paying attention to where you've been recently often helps!!

A lot of the time it seems to depend on what you ask Google for too! For the Fleury picture, I switched to google.fr and searched on "chapelle guerre chemin", and it came up with a photo similar to the puzzle - trying the same in English Google didn't have the same effect. Unfortunately that trick only works for the few languages I know any words in (Norwegian, French, German and a little English!!).

Lets see what Ivy comes up with next.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Yes, going back to Yves photo, I had for some reason centred on the Verdun area, had decided on the massive shell holes and began looking at buried villages. What still puzzled me were the white and grey markers, which Yves has now explained.
                          The whole search was laden with a mixture of profound pity and anger, I'm afraid. One reads and hears of what happened but to see the photos takes you right there. Thank you, Yves.

Now, what and where is this?

Photograph: Brian Harrington Spier
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; May 18th, 2012, 10:52. Reason: Added attribution.
                          Ivy

Comment

[/QUOTE]

A former Roman Way, perhaps?

Comment

No, Yves, I'm afraid not.
                              On second thoughts - probably not, though I don't know whether anyone has been able to say definitely.
                              Last edited by wherrygirl; May 16th, 2012, 18:28.
                              Ivy

Comment

The nearest I can find is this ramp into the ancient city of Troy, Turkey:

It looks in much better shape then the one shown in the original picture, but there may be more than one ramp??:

Comment

Working...
                                X