What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

I have the same problem.I found Nhulunbuy and Melville bay since a long time and economical activity seems to suit,but all the pic. I saw were not adequat.
    Let's wait for Ombugge's lights...
    By the way I leave Caen for my countryside solitude.So books ,birds ,nature...but not computer.I will have the explanation on monday.Have a good week end,all.
    Last edited by yvneac; May 11th, 2012, 13:55.

Comment

Yves, I don't know whether you will see this now, before you go, but you should win this puzzle. Do you not use Google Earth, reachable via Google - Maps? It's tedious zooming in and travelling along the coast, but it's how I found the answer - at last. Earth gave me a duplicate of Ombugge's picture, even though there was no photo icon to be seen.
      Enjoy a peaceful few days.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Well, it appears that both of you have come to the right place by whatever means.

It is Gove Peninsula, NT, the site of a major Alumina plant based on bauxite mined near by: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gove_Peninsula

The reason you cannot find a picture to match is because there is none, I just posted a small section of a screen grab from Google Earth. (That is about the only way to avoid it being detectable by that other Google program)

I first visited the place in 1969. At the time the first construction workers had arrived to start refurbishing the airstrip, clear land for the mine and the township, which is now Nhulunbuy, the largest settlement in East Arnhemland. They were living in tents at the time. The only permanent thing there was the Mission Station and Mission Pier, which is what you see in the original post.

Gove Peninsula as it looks on Google Earth:

What about the personal story about this place??

I left the Slidre Timur, my last ship under Norwegian flag, in Gove in Aug. 1970 and traveled from the then refurbished Gove Airport to Darwin and on to Singapore.

I have only been back there once since the Alumina Plant became operational, which was in 1972, when I was Captain on the Jo-Tor.

We had been in a small place at the bottom of the Gulf of Carpentaria called Karrumba to load frozen prawns back to Singapore. One day out the Chief Officer's wife got a very bad attack of malaria of the deadly kind. Since we did not have the facilities or medicine to deal with it, I decided to call at Gove, which was the nearest place with a hospital and a port.

To save time I navigated between the tip of the Gove Peninsula and Bremer Island at night:

Something we never used to do, even in daylight, although it would be the shortest route when coming from Groote Eylandt and heading for Mellville Bay and Gove. (Many reefs and not well charted at the time)

When she got to the hospital the Doctor said that if she had arrived an hour later she would probably have died.

I don't know who can be said to have solved this one, since both Ivy and Yves homed in on it together, but since Yves is away for a while I invite Ivy to post the next puzzle.

PS> If you look around on GE in the area you will find the answer to the puzzle in the "Patterns" thread and in the "which airport" thread as well.

Comment

Lovely story Ombugge - I really enjoy hearing the background behind the photos you choose.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
            Lovely story Ombugge - I really enjoy hearing the background behind the photos you choose.
            Although I hardly ever seem to find the time to participate in this marvellous thread, I DO follow its progress, and very much want to echo what PoloUK just said, thanking for your choices and not only background but personal stories, ombugge.
            In this particular case I’d actually been thinking big from the start because the picture immediately reminded me of an exhibition I’d seen of satellite and aerial photos as “art images” with “patterns” very much to the fore. Great stuff.

Comment

Lovely to hear the story behind this photo, Ombugge, a very personal one but of universal interest.
              I have had little time at the moment to search for a successor and I feel that Yves should have his turn. But till he returns try this:

Photo: Jack Lockwood

One clue: This lake has a frightening history and, possibly, future.
              Last edited by wherrygirl; May 13th, 2012, 17:45.
              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                Lovely to hear the story behind this photo, Ombugge, a very personal one but of universal interest.
                I have had little time at the moment to search for a successor and I feel that Yves should have his turn. But till he returns try this:

Photo to be attributed when the puzzle is solved.

One clue: This lake has a frightening history and, possibly, future.
                Lake Nyos, Cameroon: http://www.wired.com/science/discove...dayintech_0821

All I had to do to solve this one was to type Volcanic Lake into Google and it popped right up, picture and all.
                Since I'm away for a few days I concur with your suggestion to let Yves set the next puzzle. He richly deserve it.
                Last edited by ombugge; May 13th, 2012, 13:35.

Comment

Google just spoils things, doesn't it! Too clever by half.
                  Yes, Yves said he'd be back tomorrow, didn't he? So his first task will be to set our next puzzle!
                  Ivy

Comment

Here again.
                    Nice week end with flowered apple trees in the deep green grass.
                    Ivy, in my garden I had a meeting with a great spotted woodpecker and a charming couple of flycatchers.And along a bycicle stroll two white storks.
                    Ombugge,there is something like Joseph Conrad's world in your life.
                    You fidget with impatience for a new puzzle,so:

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                      Here again.
                      Nice week end with flowered apple trees in the deep green grass.
                      Ivy, in my garden I had a meeting with a great spotted woodpecker and a charming couple of flycatchers.And along a bycicle stroll two white storks.
                      So, where are the bird photos then????? You must know, Yves, that as a CVF member you are just not allowed to go anywhere without taking photos to post. I have seen the woodpecker just a very few times here, flycatchers never here but I saw them when I lived in the New Forest in Hampshire. Storks I have never seen anywhere. It sounds a beautiful weekend. Don't forget the apple trees.
                      Now, to the puzzle - oh heck!
                      Ivy

Comment

I did'nt shot birds that time but I made some pics. of my tiny village.I will post on Norway-Normandy thread.After work hours,indeed...

Comment

I'm going to be short of time for the next few days, but my thoughts on Yves' picture is that it seems to show signs of WW1 trenches at the right. Yet I am puzzled by the chapel. The symbol of the Rose Cross is unusual - not unlike the Knights Templar, but it also has the four rays which I don't think the Templars had.
                          I've trawled through quite a lot of the northern France WW1 sites, but to no effect so far. Fascinating though this puzzle is I really must lay off for a bit. But I'll keep peeping!
                          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            I'm going to be short of time for the next few days, but my thoughts on Yves' picture is that it seems to show signs of WW1 trenches at the right. Yet I am puzzled by the chapel. The symbol of the Rose Cross is unusual - not unlike the Knights Templar, but it also has the four rays which I don't think the Templars had.
                            I've trawled through quite a lot of the northern France WW1 sites, but to no effect so far. Fascinating though this puzzle is I really must lay off for a bit. But I'll keep peeping!
                            Not trenches but you are on the way with ww1,Ivy.

Comment

Peeping! Hmm.... not trenches, eh?
                              Thought: remains of mass graves, names unknown type of thing?
                              Last edited by wherrygirl; May 15th, 2012, 16:25.
                              Ivy

Comment

Well,Ivy, I confirm there were not trenches (true trenches I mean) here but fights were terrible.On the right side you don't see human graves even if the white and grey landmarks are a symbol of something.

Comment

Working...
                                X