What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

You will fall sick with your google tools!!!
    I have not these problems with my pendulum....
    .....but I win rarely.

Comment

Yves - you're great!
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Where in the wide world do you find this place??[/QUOTE]

Really I don't know.But few years ago I read a Herve Claude's novel located in an harbour lost nowhere in south Australia and I felt the same sensation by the first look at this pic.
        Never try never win!

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
          Where in the wide world do you find this place??
          Really I don't know.But few years ago I read a Herve Claude's novel located in an harbour lost nowhere in south Australia and I felt the same sensation by the first look at this pic.
          Never try never win!
          South of Australia is not correct, but you homed into the right part of the world quickly.
          Last edited by ombugge; May 9th, 2012, 18:11.

Comment

I've been wandering around Melbourne for quite a while, but in view of your comment in the other thread I immediately jumped on to Carnarvon, Western Australia, it having the Satellite Earth Station, and the old tracking station for the Apollo missions, which latter I saw. (I posted it as a puzzle a while ago.) I've been on the little train down the jetty, and have photos still to post on my outback thread but I cannot locate the pier in your photo yet, Ombugge.
            However, I'm sure it's Carnarvon and will hope to find that pier.
            Last edited by wherrygirl; May 9th, 2012, 19:03.
            Ivy

Comment

I think I must be wrong. And yet, if I am somewhere near right in your other puzzle on the Patterns thread the connection seemed to point here. I can find hardly any photos on Google Earth accessed through Google website and yet on my HD programme there's masses. None of this puzzle though and no other pier either, only a sort of spit out into the sea a bit further away.
              Ivy

Comment

Reminding the adventure of Ombugge onboard Slidre Timur,I propose a mining harbour in gulf of Carpentera.

Comment

Ivy, you are right, it is NOT Carnarvon,WA.

Yvneac, you are also right, it is somewhere around Gulf of Carpentera.

Comment

Yvneac, you are also right, it is somewhere around Gulf of Carpentera.[/QUOTE]

If what we see in the pic. is a railroad could be Weipa , terminal of Andoon mine.But it seems to be a town too big.

Comment

Yvneac, you are also right, it is somewhere around Gulf of Carpentera.
                      If what we see in the pic. is a railroad could be Weipa , terminal of Andoon mine.But it seems to be a town too big.[/QUOTE]

Not Weipa and no railroad in this place. You may want to proceed around the gulf.

Comment

Not Weipa and no railroad in this place. You may want to proceed around the gulf.[/QUOTE]

Not sure it's in australia.The pier could be a gas or oil terminal,perhaps located on the coast of New Guinea Papouasie that we can consider as the north of the gulf.

Comment

Not Weipa and no railroad in this place. You may want to proceed around the gulf.
                          Not sure it's in australia.The pier could be a gas or oil terminal,perhaps located on the coast of New Guinea Papouasie that we can consider as the north of the gulf.
                          You should stay in the Gulf of Carpentera proper.
                          No oil or gas here.

Comment

Groote Eyland?I saw a foggy pic. from there but I doubt.

Comment

Groote Eyland?I saw a foggy pic. from there but I doubt.
                              Not Groote Eyland either. Not too many more possibilities now.

Comment

I have got it, Ombugge, but for the life of me cannot find a name for the place yet. It's a spit running into the Arafura Sea, north western tip of the Gulf. There is a road called Melville Bay Road running east-west and the pier is south of that.

PS There is a town called Nhulunbuy to the east, but this place seems to be a huge industrial complex of some kind.
                                Ah it's bauxite, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nhulunb...hern_Territory But I can find no photo though it is clear in Google Earth.
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; May 11th, 2012, 13:44.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X