What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

This was not as easy as I thought. Searching for ruined Roman amphitheaters did not bring much joy, so we have to see what we have here.
    Lush vegetation indicate somewhere with a reasonable amount of rainfall, or with a river nearby.
    Modern building in the background is in a indistinct style, but may serve to eliminate some places.
    Since it does not appear to have anything to do with Roman amphitheaters or temples, I think we may be outside the Med.
    Latin America is out and a search for suitable ruins in Belize did not turn up anything similar.
    I'm not so sure that this is actually ruins at all. It may be old but still in use for something other than sports, plays or worship, but WHAT!!

I'm stuck at the moment and have to get some work done now. If nobody solve it in the meantime, I may have a go later. Good luck.

PS> Looking closer at the buildings there may be something British colonial in the style.
    Last edited by ombugge; May 8th, 2012, 05:22. Reason: Add PS.

Comment

Yes, certainly outside the Med. and Belize is out, too. Oh, it's definitely ruins, very old ruins and also in use at times. British colonial style buildings could help to narrow it down a bit.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        Yes, certainly outside the Med. and Belize is out, too. Oh, it's definitely ruins, very old ruins and also in use at times. British colonial style buildings could help to narrow it down a bit.
        Ivy can you be a little more precise when you tell these ruins are still in use to day:civil or religious activity?
        At present I am wandering in Sri Lanka.Nice trip...even useless.

Comment

I agree, if still in use are they ruins at all.

I am travelling a bit further east and has landed in India, but don't find many ruined amphi theaters there.

I'm back to this being used for something entirely different than what you would expect. Could that pond of water have something to do with it, or am I just seeing the remains of recent rains?

If this is indeed India there is a dry and a wet season. Water is collected during the NE Monsoon season to last through the dry.

Could it be some sort of reservoir seen at the end of the dry season??? If so, is it still in use as water supply for lower laying areas in the dry??

But why the stepped side walls???
          Last edited by ombugge; May 8th, 2012, 18:23.

Comment

The use it is put to today is the one for which it was built, and Ombugge has hit the mail on the head - a reservoir, and in India. It was repaired a few centuries later (still many centuries ago) but I have not been able to find out why it was stepped. But it is not so effective as it once was, owing to something happening in the locality. There are ruins there, too, something quite different from the reservoir.
            Ivy

Comment

There are several "Kund" around in India, but this must be Suraj Kund:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surajkund
              Here is the proof:

The steeped sides are said to be for the ease of Elephants to get to the water to drink and bath:

That explains the wide steps at the top of the dam, I think.

Interesting puzzle. How did you come across this subject, which is not exactly well known? It took some digging to get to this one.

Comment

I feel confident enough to post the next puzzle before Ivy confirms the last.

From monsoon reservoir in India to somewhere with a different climate:

Where is this place?????

Comment

Interesting puzzle. How did you come across this subject, which is not exactly well known? It took some digging to get to this one.
                  Ah jes sticks a pin in the map and has a look around, man.
                  Well done, anyway. I would add that our Mark downloaded my pic. and then discovered that it contained the location somehow in the exif info. I thought I'd covered my tracks by downloading, copying and putting info. only in the Comments box at the bottom of the main Windows folder for photos, and not on the photo itself. I uploaded via PicturePush and checked both there and on CV. Thought I was safe! So Mark PM'd me immediately and hopefully I remedied the situation. Unfortunately it knocked him out of that particular contest. But many thanks to him for the warning.
                  As to this one, are we in southern Norway, anywhere?
                  Ivy

Comment

Norway (inc Svalbard), Faroes, Greenland, Iceland by the looks of it - unless we're at the wrong end of the world and it's Antarctic.

I guess a whaling station at some stage in its life?

That's probably as much stating the obvious as I'll get away with for now!
                    Last edited by PoloUK; May 9th, 2012, 12:48.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                      Norway (inc Svalbard), Faroes, Greenland, Iceland by the looks of it - unless we're at the wrong end of the world and it's Antarctic.

Bonjour Mark.
                      I share your suspicion.From Ombugge,I should not be amazed if this pic. would be a film set in a Bollywood movie!
                      So, before all, I'd like to know if it's a recent shot ( less than 20 years).

Comment

Ah jes sticks a pin in the map and has a look around, man.
                        Well done, anyway. I would add that our Mark downloaded my pic. and then discovered that it contained the location somehow in the exif info. I thought I'd covered my tracks by downloading, copying and putting info. only in the Comments box at the bottom of the main Windows folder for photos, and not on the photo itself. I uploaded via PicturePush and checked both there and on CV. Thought I was safe! So Mark PM'd me immediately and hopefully I remedied the situation. Unfortunately it knocked him out of that particular contest. But many thanks to him for the warning.
                        As to this one, are we in southern Norway, anywhere?
                        I downloaded your original picture just now, but did not find any exif info, whatever that may be.
                        But when i dropped it into Google image search I got several pictures and the name of Suraj Kund.

I then dropped other pictures I have posted as puzzles and some gave a positive identification, others not.

I than dropped the present puzzle picture in there and got a positive identification, so I may as well withdraw that puzzle.
                        It shows Little Diomede Island off Alaska: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Diomede_Island

Maybe this is the home of Sarah Pailin, since she claim that she can see Russia from her home??
                        The other island in the group is on the Russian side of the border and across the dateline. These two islands have the same time but different date, although they are only a few miles apart.

This Google thing takes the fun out of this puzzle thing, but I don't give up.
                        I'll be back with another picture, after checking that it is not identified by Google first.
                        Last edited by ombugge; May 9th, 2012, 15:04.

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post

That was a neat way of eliminating a VERY big lump of the possible world for this picture.
                          Now that you know the answer you can see that my answer would have been; negative on all counts.

I'll be back with something else soon. Don't know where I can find it yet though.
                          Damned Google, they are too "helpful" by half.

Comment

After Mark's warning I deleted the original image on CVF, then deleted all information from the copy I'd made on my computer (but not on the original downloaded image) and reloaded the copy. So you would find nothing now. It's strange, because I use the same procedure now on anything I post on this thread. The Exif info., by the way, is what the camera records when you take a photo - exposure, camera details etc. and is accessed by clicking on Properties on your image. I don't know the Norwegian for it, I'm afraid! But you'll know what I mean.
                            I never use this method of dropping a pic. into Google's image search, in fact I'd have to suss out how to do it. But I do click on Search Tools at the side and then on Images when hunting for a solution. That and Google Earth are my main methods once I've thrown a few silly ideas at Google and we are getting somewhere near the locality.
                            No, we still get a lot of fun out of this thread providing we use some nous, general knowledge etc. and refrain from handing the puzzle pic. to Google saying "Go find". It's up to us, isn't it?
                            Ivy

Comment

I don't know the Norwegian for it, I'm afraid! But you'll know what I mean.
                              Don't worry about Norwegian translation for me, my Norwegian is not much better than yours. I need English translation of Norwegian words and meanings more than the other way around.

I never use this method of dropping a pic. into Google's image search, in fact I'd have to suss out how to do it. But I do click on Search Tools at the side and then on Images when hunting for a solution. That and Google Earth are my main methods once I've thrown a few silly ideas at Google and we are getting somewhere near the locality.
                              The method was described by Steve some time back and it is just to copy the picture and drag it to the Google image box, simple as that. It doesn't appear to matter what exif info or whatever is available, it is just a visually equal comparison. Some of the results are as laughable as some Google translations.

Likewise search words and images, together with GE and intuition, based on general knowledge and long experience, is my tool of choice.

No, we still get a lot of fun out of this thread providing we use some nous, general knowledge etc. and refrain from handing the puzzle pic. to Google saying "Go find". It's up to us, isn't it?
                              Well, that is true, but when you know that a simpler method is available it is easy to suspect that it may be used by some to solve the puzzles.

I will be posting a new puzzle soon anyhow. This one does not show up in Google image search. Some of the suggestions prove my point above, however.
                              Last edited by ombugge; May 9th, 2012, 16:22.

Comment

OK, here is a replacement puzzle for the withdrawn one:

Not a personal picture, just lifted from Google Earth.
                                But there is a bit of personal story to go with this one too.

Where in the wide world do you find this place??

Comment

Working...
                                X