What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Not a geographic link but a political remind.Your sentence about Japan make me think about FUJIMORI.Then: Peru?

Comment

Ombugge, do you know Sayonara Nakamura, sung by Ted Egan? That was in my mind when I thought of Japan for your picture. I'm back in that part of the world but further south and it's still in my mind. Any good?
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        Ombugge, do you know Sayonara Nakamura, sung by Ted Egan? That was in my mind when I thought of Japan for your picture. I'm back in that part of the world but further south and it's still in my mind. Any good?
        That is very good. You have found the Japanese connection, now is only the question of where?

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
          Not a geographic link but a political remind.Your sentence about Japan make me think about FUJIMORI.Then: Peru?
          No connection to Peru that I can think of. Fujimori-san may bring up thoughts of prison right now.

Comment

Another suggestion:TIMOR.
            1)bad connection with Japan:battle of Timor
            2)multiracial history:locals,indonesians,portugeses,dutches...
            3)tourism but not so much
            4)location at the "border"between Pacific and Indian.

Comment

Another suggestion:TIMOR.
              1)bad connection with Japan:battle of Timor
              2)multiracial history:locals,indonesians,portugeses,dutches...
              3)tourism but not so much
              4)location at the "border"between Pacific and Indian.
              It is not Timor, either the eastern (former Portuguese) or the western (former Dutch) part of the island.
              But you are getting closer.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                It is not Timor, either the eastern (former Portuguese) or the western (former Dutch) part of the island.
                But you are getting closer.
                Is there sea weed extraction in this place?

Comment

I've been all round Darwin to Broome, but can find nothing like your photo. Should I get off the mainland?
                  Ivy

Comment

You will find no major settlements like this on the Kimberly Coast between Darwin and Broom, nor on in Arnhemland, before Gove.
                    You will have to move further to find this place, but history will help you in your search.

Comment

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Thursday Island, Queensland, Australia. I have a possible picture, but still looking for a better one.

Later: This is the best I can do: http://www.oceanwideimages.com/Large...D%3D37%26p%3D1
                      There seems to be the Radio/radar mast and one or two wind turbines on the hill top, and the island certainly has plenty of history, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thursda...nd,_Queensland

Ombugge's remark "What type of "fishing"" set me straight away on to pearls, hence my Japan thought. Then I thought of Ted Egan's song and I moved south immediately to Oz.
                      The first time I heard Sayonara Nakamura I couldn't get it out of my head for several months. Now it'll be there again for ages. Funny how things get you.
                      Still, after all this, I might be wrong about the puzzle.
                      Last edited by wherrygirl; May 5th, 2012, 20:34.
                      Ivy

Comment

No, you are not wrong, it is Thursday Island, situated in the Torres Strait. Thursday Island is the administrative center for the islands in the Torres Strait and part of the York Peninsula in Northern Queensland. (Original picture by descon7)

It was and is the center for pearling in the area and the Japanese connection was just that. Japanese were recruited to work on the luggers as pearl divers and many of them died there. Here is the Japanese graveyard on Thursday Island:

Photo by atiiota

The inscription on the memorial:

Photo by Jeremy Schierer.

During WWII the Japanese didn't bomb Thursday Island because the thought there were Japanese there. They didn't know that all the Japanese had been interned and moved further south.

I visited Thursday Island many times in 1969/70, when it looked somewhat like this picture from 1975:

Photo by Kaptonkaos

Today the somewhat same view is like this:

Photo by johnspieker

This is what I remember best, the view from the wharf, where we discharged supplies to the islanders. (Mostly XXXX Lager):

Photo by David Denholm.

Thursday Island is still home of the Torres Strait Pilots, who pilots ships up and down the passage inside the Great Barrier Reef, from here to Cairns, a distance of some 520 n.miles. They didn't like seeing us, because we didn't use their services but sailed up and down the passage both day and night and without radar. When a new Captain asked for a Pilot, the company told him that he would be the only captain in the fleet of 6 ships who had ever used one, but of cause and if he insisted, he could get a pilot. Needless to say, he sailed without.

I hope you all enjoyed the chase. It took some time and we were all over the place for a while, before it was narrowed down to areas bordering both the Indian and Pacific Oceans. (Torres Strait separate the Coral Sea, which can be said to be part of the Pacific Ocean, and the Arafura Sea, which may be regarded as part of the Indian Ocean)

When it was finally narrowed down to around Australia and the pearling industry it would have been fairly easy, since there are few places and islands with the lush greenery and a relatively large settlement seen on the picture, anywhere in Northwest Australia and the Northern Territories.

Well done Ivy and back to you again.
                        Last edited by ombugge; May 6th, 2012, 05:20. Reason: Add creditations

Comment

Many thanks for the extra photos. That certainly was an interesting hunt and I enjoyed the personal touch at the end!

So, here's the next puzzle. What and where is this?

Photograph by Varon Shiv Kapur
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; May 9th, 2012, 12:05. Reason: Attributed photograph
                          Ivy

Comment

Hi Ivy and congratulations for solving the last puzzle.As you I appreciate Ombugge's comments.
                            Well now,first (very large) approach:America Latina?

Comment

I think Ivy is too cunning to post something that looks like Inca or Aztec ruins and it actually being so.
                              But where?? I have no idea,
                              Last edited by ombugge; May 7th, 2012, 18:05.

Comment

Hi Ivy and congratulations for solving the last puzzle.As you I appreciate Ombugge's comments.
                                Well now,first (very large) approach:America Latina?
                                Thank you, Yves. America Latina? Afraid not.

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                                I think Ivy is too cunning to post something that looks like Inca or Aztec ruins and it actually being so.
                                But where?? I have no idea,
                                ME? CUNNING??? Never.
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; May 7th, 2012, 20:32.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X