X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

[QUOTE=ombugge;87284]
    Originally posted by yvneac View Post

Maybe you have to get another frerry to continue your trip into Alaka.
    In a tourist information I saw a photo of Stephens Passage towards Auke bay.Could be it.And if not next time I only play with puzzles about Monaco or Saint Marin!!

Comment

[QUOTE=yvneac;87291]
      Originally posted by ombugge View Post

In a tourist information I saw a photo of Stephens Passage towards Auke bay.Could be it.And if not next time I only play with puzzles about Monaco or Saint Marin!!
      You got a bit too far North again. But we are in the general area, the Alaska Panhandle.

Comment

Klawok harbour? Or Tramonto?
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
          Hi Ivy.I would not surprised it is around Klawok.In this case the ferry could be MV STIKINE or MV PRINCE OF WALES.But Ombugge is cunning....

Comment

But Ombugge is cunning....
            Oh, lovely.... you've soon found that out!

By the way, once you've started on this lark, you are not allowed to run away. So none of this "I only play with puzzles about Monaco or Saint Marin!!"
            Ivy

Comment

Not Klawock, but if you divide the distance between your Klawock and yvneac's Stephen's Passage fairly evenly between you, you are getting close.

Searching for Tramonto I find one picture taken at place in Long Bay, off Prince William Sound and a Bed and Breakfast in NY state.

Comment

[QUOTE=ombugge;87336]Not Klawock, but if you divide the distance between your Klawock and yvneac's Stephen's Passage fairly evenly between you, you are getting close.

I saw so much about Alaska since few days that I feel like I was born there!Another try:Sumner strait at Point Baker.If it's not it will be your round,Ivy and I will pray for your succes...

Comment

[QUOTE=yvneac;87341]
                  Not Klawock, but if you divide the distance between your Klawock and yvneac's Stephen's Passage fairly evenly between you, you are getting close.

I saw so much about Alaska since few days that I feel like I was born there!Another try:Sumner strait at Point Baker.If it's not it will be your round,Ivy and I will pray for your succes...
                  You are closing in, but not Sumner Strait. This Strait you are looking for is part of the Inland Waterway system along the coast. Used by the Ferries, but not navigable for the largest Cruise ships heading to Juneau.

Comment

[QUOTE=ombugge;87375]
                    Originally posted by yvneac View Post

You are closing in, but not Sumner Strait. This Strait you are looking for is part of the Inland Waterway system along the coast. Used by the Ferries, but not navigable for the largest Cruise ships heading to Juneau.
                    Between Mitkof and Kupranof islands the narrow channel to Petresburg(sister city of Hammerfest) the oldest Sons of Norway lodge in Alaska.
                    Lost again?

Comment

[QUOTE=yvneac;87399]

Between Mitkof and Kupranof islands the narrow channel to Petresburg(sister city of Hammerfest) the oldest Sons of Norway lodge in Alaska.
                      Lost again?
                      You are not lost at all:

Known as Wrangell Narrows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrangell_Narrows

I am almost sure that the ferry from which the picture by Maurie Mountain was taken is the Alaskan Marine Highway's Columbia. (Not 100%)

I'm also sure you must have had an enjoyable trip around the Inland Waterway of BC and Alaska, as I have had trying to figure out where all
                      the various suggested places by you and Ivy actually was for this one.

Did you notice the similarity between the scenery and the service offered by BC Ferries and Alaskan Marine Highway Ferries and Hurtigruten in Norway???

Now it is over to you again Yves.
                      Last edited by ombugge; April 30th, 2012, 18:05.

Comment

Well, I'll be blowed! I had previously examined those two Wiki photos, then decided they were not the answer and sailed on my way.
                        Well done Yves. It is true what you said, that after days of moving around the Panhandle, you really do feel that you are beginning to know it qute well. That's the fascination of this thread, it's not just the fun of trying to solve the puzzle, it is what you learn on the way.
                        I'm looking forward to what you set us next.
                        Ivy

Comment

Well it was a long way.Thank you for this journey,Ombugge.
                          Iam not connected with google earth (it log out my computer!) so Ihad to go on tourist offices and alaskian photographers sites where I discovered an attractive country.
                          As you mentionned there is a similitude between Hurtigruten and the ferry companies operating in this area.
                          Then according with the time-honored expression:what place is this?
                          Last edited by yvneac; April 30th, 2012, 21:16.

Comment

well, i'll be blowed! I had previously examined those two wiki photos, then decided they were not the answer and sailed on my way.
                            Well done yves. It is true what you said, that after days of moving around the panhandle, you really do feel that you are beginning to know it qute well. That's the fascination of this thread, it's not just the fun of trying to solve the puzzle, it is what you learn on the way.
                            I'm looking forward to what you set us next.
                            totaly agree with you ivy.and it is an enjoyable intellectual exercice.as says somebody:elementary dear watson!

Comment

I'm not so sure about the "elementary"!
                              Ivy

Comment

Cap de Hague, Normandie:

The Cap de Hague lighthouse (or Goury Lighthouse) is located at the end of the Cotentin Peninsula, on the north coast of the Manche department in the Basse-Normandie region in north-western France. Located on a small waveswept island, Gros-du-Raz, about 800 m west of Goury village. Built in 1837, the 51 m (167 ft) round granite tower mounted on a 1-story cylindrical granite base is a crucial point of reference for ships sailing through the Alderney Channel.

Comment

Working...
                                X