What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Well let's push you on that then Ombugge. You tell us that Yves is 'onto something there' - so we're in the Pacific?

Dare I guess South Pacific?
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
      Well let's push you on that then Ombugge. You tell us that Yves is 'onto something there' - so we're in the Pacific?

Dare I guess South Pacific?
      Sorry if that was a bit unclear. Here is a bit better wording; "Not a Pacific Atoll, or formerly used for nuclear testing".
      But I maintain the rest; "you are onto something there. The ships in the lagoon is current".

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        Sorry if that was a bit unclear. Here is a bit better wording; "Not a Pacific Atoll, or formerly used for nuclear testing".
        But I maintain the rest; "you are onto something there. The ships in the lagoon is current".
        Maybe more clarifications are required?
        When I said "you are onto something here" it means that, although no nuclear explosion took place here, there are a military aspect to the place and the reason why the plantation in the original picture was abandoned.

(That is just about giving away the answer to this puzzle)

Comment

Diego Garcia. see http://www.maxwall.co.uk/navy/diego.htm Click on Diego Garcia Photo Page at the bottom, then on The Island photo and you will find http://www.maxwall.co.uk/navy/DG34.jpg a similar view to Ombugge's.
          Last edited by wherrygirl; April 13th, 2012, 23:06.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Yes it is indeed Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean, now used as a major US Military base, both for the navy and air force, but mainly the last.
            B-52s flying sorties over Irak and Afghanistan during both those wars and in Dessert Storm was stationed here.

The story of the forcible removal of the inhabitants from here is still not over: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depopul...f_Diego_Garcia
            The Coconut Plantation in the original picture was the main "industry" on the island.

Here is some more pictures from Diego Garcia.
            The atoll seen from the air:

The Air strip and US Base:

And this one just because of the nice sunrise seen from the beach near the main camp:

Well done Ivy. Now it is over to you.

PS> There is even a Norwegian connection to the story of the Chagos Islanders removal from their home islands. The ship used to carry the last of them to Mauritius was the former Norwegian coaster, Nordvaer, built in Hamburg in 1958 and trading Trondheim to Lofoten, before moving to the Seychelles. Here is a link to an article in French about the ship and her history: http://www.chagos.org/nordvaer.htm#1a

PPS> The history of Nordvaer is told in a book by Terje BODOGAARD called "M/S Nordvaer av Bodo - M/V Nordvaer of Victoria, BIOT" published in Oslo in 1994.

Additional interesting website about the first Americans to land at Diego Garcia: http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/1968.html

And a picture of the Plantation when it was still active:
            Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2012, 08:48. Reason: Add PS and PPS

Comment

Well done Ivy!!

Great photos and story Ombugge - we certainly get around the world in this thread. What made you think of that puzzle?
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                Well done Ivy!!

Great photos and story Ombugge - we certainly get around the world in this thread. What made you think of that puzzle?
                If you look in the Heavy lift Carrier thread you will find that I posted some pictures of American Comoran not so long ago.
                She was sitting in Diego Garcia for years and there is where I found the pictures.
                I have never been there myself but some of the pilots from there come to Singapore on R&R and we drink in the same pub.

Comment

That was very interesting, Ombugge. No credit to me, though, the magic word "plantation" took me almost straight there - why didn't you say so in the first place? For a while recently, although I have looked in to see how it's been going I've not had time to search myself until I was able to nip in on this last one.
                  Right, where might this be?

The photo will be attributed when the puzzle is solved.
                  Last edited by wherrygirl; April 14th, 2012, 22:57.
                  Ivy

Comment

No-one's trying. At this rate the photographer will never get his/her name on the picture.
                    Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                      No-one's trying. At this rate the photographer will never get his/her name on the picture.
                      Random first guess - somewhere Caribbean?
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Could it be ruins in the outback ? or South Australia . Dont think it is a home !
                        Last edited by kiki42; April 18th, 2012, 22:28.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Kiki, I'm afraid not.
                          Now Mark, you're in the right area but I'm sure it wasn't that random! What led you there?
                          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            Kiki, I'm afraid not.
                            Now Mark, you're in the right area but I'm sure it wasn't that random! What led you there?
                            Dunno really, just looked like it. Reminded me of a 'Who do you think you are' programme from the same area not so long back.

Annaberg on St John, US Virgin Islands looks similar, but can't find that same building.
                            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

No, not there, Mark.
                              Ivy

Comment

What about Tortola??
                                St Phillip's Church (known locally as the African Church) is a ruined church originally built by freed African slaves, liberated by the Royal Navy from a Portuguese slave ship. It is supposed to be the oldest free black church in the Americas. It was built in approximately 1831.

The church is now in a state of ruin, but a restoration effort is underway. Weddings in the ruins of the old church are still popular.

It is located just east of Road Town, next to (and visible from) the main road, opposite Cedar School.

Comment

Working...
                                X