What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

I've used a few minutes to study russian cities by night, and my only suggestion is Moscow. (That should be far away from the sea, and bare in mind; I said I only studied for minutes).
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Looking at the street crossing and the fountains I have a feeling it is a major Russian city, with some substantial buildings and probably the home of some important public institutions.
      That, and the observations already made narrows it down to a bit fewer than 17 mill. square km.
      If it is not solved by tomorrow, I'll give it a go.

Sterkoder, I don't think it is Moscow. There is not enough "light pollution" for a city of that size, event if it should be on the outskirts.

Comment

Didn't think so myself, to be honest, but a russian city with that size roads away from the sea made me take a shot.
        Then, if it's not Moscow, I guess it's a good guess as any to start naming russian cities which not border to the sea, and then I try Minsk.
        If not, I'll try Kursk...., and if that one is wrong too, I'll go for Kiev.
        Myaybe it could be Rostov...., or.....
        Well, I don't know.
        We might be in the eastern part of the great country too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          Didn't think so myself, to be honest, but a russian city with that size roads away from the sea made me take a shot.
          Then, if it's not Moscow, I guess it's a good guess as any to start naming russian cities which not border to the sea, and then I try Minsk.
          If not, I'll try Kursk...., and if that one is wrong too, I'll go for Kiev.
          Myaybe it could be Rostov...., or.....
          Well, I don't know.
          We might be in the eastern part of the great country too.
          Fantastic! Nothing like detailed research!!

None of them - but good try.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Don't you have any other clue than nowhere near the sea and in Russia, Mark...., please....., don't let me get crazy over this this coming Easter

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
              Don't you have any other clue than nowhere near the sea and in Russia, Mark...., please....., don't let me get crazy over this this coming Easter
              I'm nervous about clues when Uncle Ombugge is around - the rest of us seem to need much more than he does (especially me!). However I don't want you going crazy over Easter - I'm hoping for some more fantastic ships in K'sund photos, so ....

Definitely a big city, and somewhere towards the middle of Russia (in terms of left to right, although not in terms of top to bottom).
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Well...., beats me.
                I've searched maps and night-time images of several huge cities towards the center of Russia, including Sverdlovsk (Jekaterinburg), Omsk, Tomsk, Novosibirsk, Krasnojarsk and Irkutsk. Could not find anything that looked similar, even by accident. I've ruled out the northern parts of the country and also the places further east.
                If we do not include Kasakhstan into Russia (and we should not), I belive I give up.
                You've done one thing though, and that is to get me more enlightened on russian cities and Russia itself. (I always said CVF had something good in it).

As I tend to belive that we western people know USA like our own pocket, I just as much belive that none of us know very much about our neighbour Russia, at least not east of Moscow.

Comment

Hei Svein - don't give up. It's on your list and it is in Russia itself.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Well, with the CVF down for a day or more I got time to do some searching and that search lead me to Novosibirsk, the third largest city in Russia.
                    It is at the river Ob and a major education and cultural centre, with several major institutions of scientific research.

Here is a daytime picture of more or less the same scene, taken from the same tall building:

You can see Ob River in the distance, which is why there is a kind of "break" in the lights in the original picture.

Here is the very distinct Plaza with fountains in front of State Public Scientific-technical Library in daylight:

And another at night:

Interesting trip along Volga and in the east of Russia. I have only been in Moscow and the Far Eastern Republic; Sakhalin and Nakhodka, and landed on the airport in Khabarovsk once, in 1976.
                    I was on my way to Sakhalin to take a Japanese rig out of there before the ice set in. At the time I flew from Singapore to Moscow and on to Khabarovsk to get to Yuzhno on Sakhalin. (We may even have landed for refuelling in Novosibirsk, I cannot remember) The next year I joined the tug at Otaru on Hokkaido, which was a lot easier.

By the way Sterkoder, the Russian Federation is different from the former Soviet Union. Several of the towns you listed are in former Soviet Republics, not in today's Russia.
                    Last edited by ombugge; April 6th, 2012, 04:07.

Comment

Hi Ombugge. Well done, I really thought that Svein was going to get there first!

Never been to Novosibirsk, but remember when I was doing the frequent long haul flights from London to Asia that I was fascinated by this name on the map in the in-flight magazine. So big, but so much in the middle of nowhere.

Some good photos here: http://www.panoramio.com/user/429301, all taken by 'Gelio' - and the puzzle was one of his too.

Over to you again!
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I bet you 10 rubles that he took the picture from somewhere in that tall building on the left here:

(Also by Gelio)
                        You see, I did get around Russia and Novosibirsk a bit to solve this one.

Now my problem is to find another challenging one for y'll. Reverting.

Comment

OK, here is one that MAY keep you busy through the Easter. (Or Passover, depending on your religious affiliation):

Yes it is in the Tropics. NO, it is not in S.E.Asia.
                          And it doesn't do any good to look at where I have traveled, either lately or long time ago, since it's not one of my pictures. (Credit to follow when solved)

Comment

Two days and nobody have even tried a guess, or asked for a clue??

Putting a new dimension to it. Maybe this will help,:

A view from about the same abandoned place as shown on the original one.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                              Two days and nobody have even tried a guess, or asked for a clue??

Putting a new dimension to it. Maybe this will help,:

A view from about the same abandoned place as shown on the original one.
                              A Pacific atoll having served as nuclear try base ?

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                                A Pacific atoll having served as nuclear try base ?
                                Not a Pacific Atoll formerly used for nuclear testing, but you are onto something there.
                                The ships in the lagoon is current.

Comment

Working...
                                X